Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues connecting iPhone to wifi

• 28-03-2016 11:05am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are a number of iPhones in my house (4, 5, 5C and 6). They all have intermittent issues connecting to my wifi (from time capsule) over the last year. This issue was progressively getting worse and I assumed that this was caused by the time capsule. So I replaced it with an Airport Express. This solved the problem for a while but now none of the iPhones will connect (even from 1m away so not a range issue). The phones "see" the network, but they just can't connect. No doubt they will all connect again later on without making any changes as this is what normally happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

I've just got a similar problem now since updating to iOS 9.3.
    Everything was fine before, but now the wifi keeps dropping in and out between two and three bars when I had full signal at home before.

I've updated 4 iOS devices at home last week when 9.3 was released and it's the same issue now on all of them. Reset network settings on the phone did nothing and reset the router too, no joy. Set one of the phones up as new, that did nothing either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I tried all of the above to and it didn't solve it for me either.

CompuB replaced the airport express when I brought it into them an hour ago (I had the receipt) without any argument.
    Will let you know if that solves it.

I don't think that this is related to iOS 9.3 as not all of the phones had this.
    The strange thing is that my Windows laptop had no issues connecting.
    Although my iMac constantly disconnected I could reconnect easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've had issues with wifi connection lately on my android phone so might be to do with the latest phone updates. I know a few with iphones have trouble with wifi connections where the signal is weak. I usually wait a few days before installing the new updates after they have ben issued might help?

Have you tried a reset?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

doovdela wrote: »
    I know a few with iphones have trouble with wifi connections where the signal is weak.

Yes, I am aware of this. However even when I was at the wifi router it wouldn't connect.
    I usually wait a few days before installing the new updates after they have ben issued might help?

Nothing to do with the update as not all of the iPhones have the update.
    Have you tried a reset?

Yes, didn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Could it be the internet provider could have needed to update network or router need to be upgraded? Sometimes a router can only allow so many devices on it at a time. Maybe just use one or two devices and see is there a difference in the wifi could be too many devices using the same router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Reset is a pretty drastic solution and I note that for two of the posters above, it did not fix the problem, it seldom does. But ....... what most people who recommend doing one usually omit to mention is that when you do a reset, you lose all your stored Wi-Fi passwords so it's a bit of a nuclear option as far as I'm concerned. Time and again on this forum people recommend doing a reset without giving a health warning that you will lose all your network settings.

You can clear the settings for a single network by going into 'Settings', 'Wi-Fi', select the SSID and then click on 'Forget this network'. If that doesn't work, it's almost certain that doing a reset won't fix it either but you won't have thrown out the baby with the bathwater.

If doing a forget on the network doesn't help, try changing the 2.4Ghz channel from 6 to 11 or see if you can setup a 5 Ghz SSID.

coylemj wrote: »
    If doing a forget on the network doesn't help, try changing the 2.4Ghz channel from 6 to 11 or see if you can setup a 5 Ghz SSID.

I appreciate the reply.

Can you expand please? How do I do this?
    I assume that you are describing a change on the airport express?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

2011 wrote: »
    I appreciate the reply.

Can you expand please? How do I do this?
    I assume that you are describing a change on the airport express?

Thanks.

I don't have an airport express but changing the wi-fi channel is a breeze on any Eircom/Vodafone/UPC router that I ever had. On the Apple website it emphasises how easy it is to setup and manage, have you installed the 'Airport Utility' app from iTunes? https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8

It supports 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, the 5Ghz band give you better speeds but over a shorter range and is supported by the iPhone5 and later. If you setup the airport express for 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, you will have two SSIDs so when connecting, you will have a choice of which to connect to.

To repeat what I said above, if you suddenly have a problem connecting to a network that you were previously connected to, do not do a network reset, just select that network and click on 'forget', that will make the phone/tablet/laptop connect from scratch so it will discard any settings that may be in conflict with the device, this can sometimes happen if the device firmware or OS gets refreshed and some of the network settings get changed.

Outside the home, it most often happens in pubs/cafes where they get a new wi-fi router but keep the old SSID, in that case your old settings usually won't work and you have to click on 'forget'.

http://www.apple.com/ie/airport-express/

Advertisement