Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an arch tech the professional I need?

• 28-03-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Posted this elsewhere but got no reply. Is an architectural technician the best person to advise and help with getting planning permission along with drawing up plans?

Have a green field site but not a great understanding of the process. From what ive read, (very little) hire an arch tech, we come up with a broad plan for the house, have a pre planning meeting with the council and then draw up final plans from there before applying?

Just want to make sure before I post in the looking for a tradesman thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Architect / Architectural Technician / Some Engineers are all options.

Are you local to the area? Ask around and get recommendations from people you trust as to who is good in the area.

It also depends on what type of house you think you'd like - something very unusual or out of the ordinary may require a certain level of flair that some people have and some don't.

As for the process - you a broadly correct. But when you settle on a professional to engage they will guide you through step by step. It's part of the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭A Law

Thanks. I've been in Dublin for 11 years and I'm moving back to laois where I'm from, to a site beside my parents.

I'm hoping to built a fairly standard layout house, 2000-2500 sq ft, no fancy architecture! My main priority is having as energy efficient house as possible within reason. Am I right in saying that's what I'll hire an engineer for tho?

Last question, sorry! Should I be looking to ask the architect anything in particular to suss out how suitable he'll be. Will he spec the walls and cavity? Like I'd be more inclined to trust one who specs a 200mm cavity filled with beads and no internal insulation from what I've read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Energy efficient design has become a pan-discipline sort of issue but because of this you will find good and bad amongst all engineers, architects and technicians. A technical assessment of the person can be difficult for a lay person but ask them for examples of their previous work and ask the how they deal with Part L compliance.

In terms of wall (and any other spec) I'd expect a good professional to specify the building in consultation with you. They will tell you what they recommend for any given item but should explain the pros and cons of various options too.

Advertisement