Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat behaving very oddly - age?

• 28-03-2016 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

We've a cat that's coming up on 15 years old at this stage and he's behaving very oddly.

He's always been a very "wild" cat and never really behaved much like a pet, but he was fairly ok but never particularly affectionate. He purrs a lot, gives you the odd head butt but wouldn't really be a cuddly kitty type. More like a grumpy, mildly affectionate housemate lol

Now he's just following me around almost all the time meowing and poking me with his paw and walking between my feet.

He aggressively begs for food but is exceptionally well fed and always has been.

He's also taken to jumping onto the kitchen table during meals or even just walking up someone's leg and taking their food.

When he gets the food he then doesn't really want it.

On top of that he has had a few odd urinating (not spraying or scent marking) issues.

Could this just be old age and cognitive issues developing?

He still understands basic phrases like "dinner", "lunch", "go to bed", "go into the kitchen", his name, "here puss!" Or if you tell him to "get (name)" he'll give them a head butt rub and purr like an engine.

He also hurles to the door when the bell rings and greets you on the driveway when you get home.

So, he's still fairly switched on but, I'm just concerned about the sudden complete lack of "manners" and the kitten like following me around behaviour.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Could be health related and not absorbing something; I'd get him checked out by the vet and do a blood test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Could be a health problem. Diabetes is associated with changes in eating, appetite, and urination. Only a vet can tell you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

The cat also has bad arthritis and a mass was detected in a scan but is in a very dangerous location next to his heart and also doesn't appear to be growing so has been left well enough alone. Even a biopsy wouldn't have been advisable given where it is.

He's still pretty active but his hips looked like cauliflower in the X-ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Cats do get senile. Also try asking the owner of http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/ (a cat rescuer who is an expert in cat behavior); she is almost always willing to give good advice.

I have a 14-year-old Maine Coon who has been slowing down a lot lately and being a bit needier, but only toward my husband. He's always been a bit needy though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement