Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to disable old verifier alarm

• 28-03-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Hi. Would appreciate some help. We have a brand new phone watch alarm installed. Our old verifier alarm has decided to start going off. I need to disable it. Is this tricky? I don't want to call an electrician for 5 mins work but I am not overly handy. I know to cut off the power at the mains... Then to remove the battery on the main panel. Basically does anyone know what it looks like and if it's easy to take out. Will this do the trick then? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did the installer of your new system not decommission ,power down and remove your old system??
    That is normal practice.
    I'd get them back to do this and dispose of the old one for you.You should not be charged for this either. With us , and any installation company's I know it would be included in the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

KoolKid wrote:
    Did the installer of your new system not decommission ,power down and remove your old system?? That is normal practice. I'd get them back to do this and dispose of the old one for you.You should not be charged for this either. With us , and any installation company's I know it would be included in the install.

No they just left it! I wasn't around at the time it was installed. I'll get onto them and see if they'll agree to do it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd insist on it.Its common practice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

What a joke, any other company would have removed the old system, although that does explain all the houses around with 2 bell boxes.

Seems a lot of people out there don't seem to realise that their existing provider can connect them to the other dozens of monitoring companies up and down this Island, without as it seems to be the case, getting a second system installed.

Just to update they only remove old alarms of theirs and won't remove anything else and refused to call out.
    We have a keypad and then a main alarm panel on the wall in our kitchen. The alarm panel on the wall makes the noise. I removed the battery from this but the alarm is still going off. Do I need to remove the battery from the keypad as well? The bell outside activated when I removed the battery but went off when I entered the code on the keypad . The alarm is still going off at random intervals and driving me bonkers!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

Let me get this right....
    You have paid a company to install a new alarm in your house and they have refused to remove the old one and you just accept that???
    Your own installers refuse to do something so basic and instead you are asking the installers here to help you do it.
    It is common practice across the industry to not only decommission old equipment, but take it down, remove it and make all connections good good and safe.
    It's no wonder PW are flying and getting away with putting in systems that only activate after you are broken into when people are willing to accept jobs half done and customer service like that.

KoolKid wrote:
    Let me get this right.... You have paid a company to install a new alarm in your house and they have refused to remove the old one and you just accept that??? Your own installers refuse to do something so basic and instead you are asking the installers here to help you do it. It is common practice across the industry to not only decommission old equipment, but take it down, remove it and make all connections good good and safe. It's no wonder PW are flying and getting away with putting in systems that only activate after you are broken into when people are willing to accept jobs half done and customer service like that.

Well I wasn't in the premises when the alarm was installed having only moved in recently so wasn't there myself to force the issue. I could spend weeks arguing with them but I'll have an alarm going off randomly in the interim. It was installed in December. We had no problem until a week ago.

Don't need the lecture tbh. Will seek help elsewhere.

It wouldn't take weeks.
    Why don't you just phone them back and say you want to cancel the installation if it's not going to get finished properly. That's what I'm sure a customer would say to me if I left a job like that.
    You do have a cooling off period you know. Check your T and Cs.
    Not trying to lecture you . just trying to explain how the job should be done and what you should be entitled to.

KoolKid wrote:
    It wouldn't take weeks. Why don't you just phone them back and say you want to cancel the installation if it's not going to get finished properly. That's what I'm sure a customer would say to me if I left a job like that. You do have a cooling off period you know. Check your T and Cs. Not trying to lecture you . just trying to explain how the job should be done and what you should be entitled to.

Ya I was talking to them yesterday but I suppose I'm not sure if I can afford to play chicken with them as it was installed on an offer. I'll have a think about it. Thanks for your response.

There's always an offer. It's the monitoring they want. That's where you end up paying more than any other systems.
    Depending on the configuration of the old system there may be live cabling that needs to be made safe or removed.
    You should probably get this looked at professionally if you are not going to bother getting PW finish it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement