Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting kicked off the electoral register

• 28-03-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭

I've found myself kicked off the electoral register ... for the seond time in a few years. I am Irish, and I grew up in my father's house. My father has remained all the time time on the register. But I've been kicked off a few years ... I got back on... But yet again I found was booted out for the latest election.
    Yes I do work abroad, but I am very often back and spend indeed a large chunk of the year in Ireland. I Have a PPS number and some of my financial interests are in Ireland.
    I reapplied 2 months ago to go back on the register. But so far heard nothing.
    So my question is, on what basis am I being removed from the register? Who decides this, and with what information? And how can I get myself on again, permanently,with no messing about >?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you normally live in Ireland or abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The register is maintained by your local authority. I'd guess it's hard to say how you can end up not being on the register without knowing which local authority you are in:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html
    Every local authority in Ireland is responsible for compiling and publishing a list of voters in its area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

Thanks for replies. Yes I live in Sth Dublin and Tallaght is responsible. "normally live" is a subjective concept ... like I said, most of my income is earned and paid abroad (and taxed abroad) but I have a job where I can work at home and pass a lot of time in Dublin. So I don't see why I can't stay on the electoral register. Anyway I'd like to know what the rules are (can't find them) and how they are applied and on the basis of what information decisions are taken.
    It is one thing for non-residents not to have a vote at all; it is quite another for someone who has grown up and never really left to be deprieved of a vote!

Ok, I can't find much information on removals from the registry but Tallaght does seem to keep popping up in searches as the one local authority which really does do a lot of removals.

anyway, the act is vague on it:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/23/enacted/en/print.html

it does say this:
    Correction of draft register.
    10. The registration authority shall, not later than ten days before the date specified for the completion of the return by the county registrar of the endorsed list of claims, make any corrections by way of the removal of duplicate entries (subject to any expression of choice by the persons affected by those entries), the deletion of the names of persons who are dead, or the placing of marks or the correction of marks placed against the name of an elector, or otherwise as may be necessary in order to secure that—
    (a) a person is not registered more than once as an elector, and
    (b) the draft register is complete and accurate.
    I wonder do you share any similarities with the names of anyone else registered at the address such as first name, middle names, last names etc.

You might see a simple answer there that I don't but if not, I'd say your best bet would be to ring up the office and ask them directly about your specific case. Looks like their contact details are here:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=1279&proceed=true&lng=english
    (it's an online contact form but there's a phone number and other contact methods at the bottom of the page)
    County Hall, Tallaght, Dublin 24, D24 YNN5
    +353 1 4149000
    info@sdublincoco.ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it possible that the council were doing a check and were told you were working abroad and removed you?

My local council go door to door every few years to confirm details are correct

• Advertisement

Well it is always possible someone ele has the same name... but not the same address and date of birth.
    And yes, maybe they call around, and if not in, they chuck you off... I think that is unlikely .
    More likely, "ordinarily resident " meams you have to pay tax ... but it seems you could interpret this as income tax.. DIRT, CGT etc may not be enough ! i guess they are doing some controls here... but not everybody pays income tax !... so I still wonder how they manage to think I am not ordinarily resident

YogiBoy wrote: »
    Well it is always possible someone ele has the same name... but not the same address and date of birth.
    And yes, maybe they call around, and if not in, they chuck you off... I think that is unlikely .
    More likely, "ordinarily resident " meams you have to pay tax ... but it seems you could interpret this as income tax.. DIRT, CGT etc may not be enough ! i guess they are doing some controls here... but not everybody pays income tax !... so I still wonder how they manage to think I am not ordinarily resident

Ordinarily resident for income tax is 183 days in a given year

Tax is done by Revenue which is like a Government Department. It's civil service.

Electoral Register is done by Local Authority which is like a county council. It's public service.

They don't share information. Not yet anyway.

The act says it's the local authority that handles the work:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/23/enacted/en/print.html

Well I havent even counted up "my days" msyelf .. and I dont see how anyone else could know. I';d still like to know who takes me off the registrar and on what basis!

It's pretty quick to check if you are on the register and register online tbh.

Maybe you should take that approach?

I do given that I travel a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

More likely, "ordinarily resident " meams you have to pay tax

No it does not, for both tax and voting it normally means you need to have been resident in the country for at least 183 days per year for the past there years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In the area covered by the South Dublin County Council myself. Someone called to the door a few months ago and stated were updating the electoral register and they wished to know who was resident. My folks (who I live with) neglected to mention me (just forgot or so they say) and I was removed.

Advertisement