Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS not visible in the network resources

Options
  • 28-03-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a NAS, QNAP TS-251 with two HDDs, hardwired to the router.
    It's visible in the network, from both PC's, one desktop wired to the router, and one netbook wi-fi connected.
    It happens that every now and again the NAS does not appear in the network resources. A re-boot can sometimes solve the problem, other times it can't.
    This can be a big trouble when I'm away from home and cannot restart the device.
    Any idea on why this happens and how to fix it?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sometimes broadcast traffic like that isnt 100% reliable, especially when IPs change.

1. Give the NAS a static IP reservation
    2. Map it as a drive on the computers

This way the PCs don't have to play "Marco Polo" with it and simply connect if its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Is an IP needed even if the NAS is used within a local network?
    As a matter of fact, when the NAS works fine it's as a standard drive, under Network. I usually click on it, it opens and shows me all the folders inside. It works from both PCs the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

What power settings are running on the NAS. ?

i dont know this particular one, but often NAS have a sleep mode which requires a wake packet from local network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Set the NAS as the Local Master Browser and give it a static IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

whizbang wrote: »
    What power settings are running on the NAS. ?
    i dont know this particular one, but often NAS have a sleep mode which requires a wake packet from local network

Yes, it seems that it goes into a sleep mode when not used for some time, but I don't think I'm able to answer your question about the power settings :confused:
    degsie wrote: »
    Set the NAS as the Local Master Browser and give it a static IP address.

Is this a NAS setting or a PC/network setting?
    Forgive my questions, but I'm rather new to the world of NASs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Is this a NAS setting or a PC/network setting?
    It's a NAS setting..
    http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.0/en/index.html?win_mac_nfs.htm

The NAS shouldn't go into 'sleep' mode unless set through power scheduler. The disks however can go into sleep mode if they haven't been accessed for a while, this is quite normal.

Advertisement