Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masala vs. Bombay Pantry?

Options
  • 28-03-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Any Bombay Pantry regulars who have tried Masala? How does it compare? Cannot find many reviews for Masala online (just two trip advisor reviews) and about make a large order from Bombay for this evening? Is it better?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bombay Pantry always seems like taken out of the freezer and heated up to me.
    Perhaps it's not, but the fact that they sell a range of ready to cook frozen versions of their meals worries me.

If you're northside, Namaste or Vagya do fantastic takeaway/delivery food.
    **edit Sorry, just saw this is not in the main Dublin City forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I tried Masala, but I actually don't like either of them - they both have nice branding and packaging, but BP adds too much ground cumin/coriander to the point of curry being bitter over spicy (admittedly we only tried them twice), and Masala tastes like the sauce is from a jar. Nothing special about either of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Bombay Pantry are really getting away with it. 7 small pieces of lamb swimming in a curry gravy. Very bland too. I haven't tried Masala yet but do intend to.

My current go-to curry place in the area is Spice Cottage in Sallynoggin. I've just done two orders with them, but both have been excellent. Lamb rogan josh and South Indian Garlic Chilli chicken have been the pick of the bunch. Their €25 meal deal is excellent value too.

Spice Cottage is good, their menu might not be the biggest but they have good full flavours in their food.
    Curry Garden in DL is like Masala, looks nice but is very meh.
    Daata Tandoori in Bray is excellent, but they might not deliver to where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I like masala , BP are far to slow , spice cottage is my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thanks everyone. Got vetoed so we ended up with BP which was mediocre as always. Very bland, not enough meat and lacking in seasoning.

Going to go to Spice Cottage next time.

Interesting that there are no online reviews for Masala (other than just 2 trip advisors).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Must try Spice Cottage soon, link below. Their web design is a bit peculiar, most headers (like 'New Menu') appear to be clickable (the mouse pointer changes from an arrow to a pointing finger when you hover over them) but they're not ....

http://www.spicecottage.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I don't regularly get Indian take away but when I do it's always spice cottage. The food there is really good and I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Bombay pantry bland with small portions. The only other Indian who beats spice cottage is mt Everest of Kathmandu restaurant in Bray. That's by far the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Duvetdays wrote: »
    I don't regularly get Indian take away but when I do it's always spice cottage. The food there is really good and I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Bombay pantry bland with small portions. The only other Indian who beats spice cottage is mt Everest of Kathmandu restaurant in Bray. That's by far the nicest.
    I'm going out on a limb and going to say that's a Nepalese as oppose to Indian ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Where is Masala located?

My personal favourite is Rasoi in Ranelagh. It's delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

dudara wrote: »
    Where is Masala located?

Killiney Shopping Centre - next to the Graduate pub.

Duvetdays wrote: »

Kathmandu in Dalkey is excellent as well. Nepalese as SOMEONE will point out :D but do a lot of the usual Indian dishes too.

Looking back in my twitter history I complained to BP in Sept 2011 about blandness and small portions. Their replies to me seem to have been deleted now though. they fought their corner well I recall.

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb and going to say that's a Nepalese as oppose to Indian ;)

There's a lot of Indian dishes on it which I would always go for!

Kathmandu in Dalkey is excellent as well. Nepalese as SOMEONE will point out :D but do a lot of the usual Indian dishes too.

Looking back in my twitter history I complained to BP in Sept 2011 about blandness and small portions. Their replies to me seem to have been deleted now though. they fought their corner well I recall.

I keep meaning to try Kathmandu in Dalkey. BP used to be nice many many years ago. I haven't had it in at least 2years but the take away tastes like the microwave dishes they sell in the supermarkets.

What I like about the look of masala in killiney is the open kitchens, I always think it helps cleanliness.

a friend of mine got a takeaway from Masala last night - his opinion was that it was just alright, although he said he picked "the wrong thing" (chicken methi I think). He did comment on how nice and clean the premises were, and the staff were very friendly.

My top 3 at the moment are

Spice Cottage
    Jewel in the Crown, Dun Laoghaire
    Kathmandu, Dalkey

If you triangulated the 3 I'd guess you wouldn't find my house too far from the meeting point.

Further data point, my wife, having more expensive tastes than I, favours Rasam takeaway. I find most of their output slightly sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bombay Pantry, like all those mentioned, has good dishes and not so good in my opinion.

None of them are what I would consider excellent in the grand scheme of things, but perfectly acceptable.

I haven't tried Masala yet though.

I used to regularly buy a lamb starter in BP which came with a gorgeous dip in a little container, it had a beautiful aftertaste. I was completely stunned when they suddenly dropped the dip in favour of giving you the meat pieces floating on a wet bed of chopped cucumber and tomato. The saving of a few pennies cost them my business, I've only been back once in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Chinasea post this here, it's another option:
    New Indian Restaurant just opened on Cumberland Street Dun Laoghaire.

Looking very good. Prices extremely reasonable. Have not tried as yet, but colleagues from work said it was excellent.

More information on Facebook: Delhi Rasoi
    7 Cumberland Street, Dun Laoghaire Tel: 01 908 1531/1532

i.e.:
    Starters
    Onion Bhaji (5 pieces!) €3.50
    Tandooori Sheekh Kebab (4 pieces) €5.00

Mains:
    Lamb Rogan Josh €8.50
    Chicken Jalfrezi €8.00
    Channa Saag €6.00

Pilau Rice: €1.75
    Naan : €1.75

Wishing them the very best of luck.

I'm guessing that new Indian place (previous post) has taken over the premises vacated by the Gourmet Food Parlour when they moved down to the seafront near Milanos. It's a couple of doors from the Golden Elephant Chinese take-away. Will try them for sure.

Tried Delhi Rasoi today - we really enjoyed it, nice balance of spices and flavours that felt quite comforting. Spice Cottage level for me (but I only eat veggie, so can't comment on meat dishes), much better than either BP or Masala. Oh and cheaper.
    Best of luck to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

mhge wrote: »
    Tried Delhi Rasoi today - we really enjoyed it, nice balance of spices and flavours that felt quite comforting. Spice Cottage level for me (but I only eat veggie, so can't comment on meat dishes), much better than either BP or Masala. Oh and cheaper.
    Best of luck to them!

Tried it also and must say thought it was very good. I never feel Bombay Pantry and Spice Cottage are much more than OK so pleased to have an alternative. I also liked the one that was down the side of Pennies in the old chipper but that only lasted about a year. Concerned that the amount of people sharing my tastebuds in Dl may not be enough for Delhi Rasoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Wouldn't bother with BP in bray any more, got the butter chicken masala recently.
    Very little chicken and the rice, well the microwaveable uncle bens stuff is just as good.

mt Everest of Kathmandu bray however is great, nepalese and indian food.
    Had a madras there today, fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't know which branches of Bombay Pantry you guys are going to but the one in Rathfarnham is excellent.
    I always get the Chicken Karahi and there's loads of chunks of chicken breast, peppers and onions in a thick sauce.
    I've never been given a watery liquid or mean portions of chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't know which branches of Bombay Pantry you guys are going to but the one in Rathfarnham is excellent.
    I always get the Chicken Karahi and there's loads of chunks of chicken breast, peppers and onions in a thick sauce.
    I've never been given a watery liquid or mean portions of chicken.

I got a water chicken curry in BP Rathfarnham a few weeks ago. Was awful. Will never be eating from there again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Masala has become my new favourite Indian takeout joint and now far surpasses the Bombay Pantry in terms of flavour and quality. It's such a pity as Bombay Pantry started out with excellent meals. However, in the past year and a half to two years, the quality has taken a massive nose dive. For example, the Butter Chicken Masala from Bombay Pantry was once rich in flavour, much creamier and the chicken itself was nice and moist. These days, it's often very runny, the chicken is tough and there is either too much spice or not enough of it. So, I'm now ordering from either Masala or Kathmandu in Dalkey. For anyone who has a palate for spicy food, I would highly recommend the Lamb Rogan Josh or the Chicken Tikka Masala, Pulao Rice and a Garlic & Coriander Naan. Best washed down with a super chilled craft beer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Awaaf wrote: »
    Tried it also and must say thought it was very good. I never feel Bombay Pantry and Spice Cottage are much more than OK so pleased to have an alternative. I also liked the one that was down the side of Pennies in the old chipper but that only lasted about a year. Concerned that the amount of people sharing my tastebuds in Dl may not be enough for Delhi Rasoi.

Tried it again tonight. Have to say I am liking it a lot! Doesn't seem that busy though so maybe the bland options will continue to prevail in DL.

Tried it again tonight. Have to say I am liking it a lot! Doesn't seem that busy though so maybe the bland options will continue to prevail in DL.

Some of those places wait a month or so before dropping their menus through local letterboxes. I got a delicious Lamb Biriyani takeaway in Delhi Rasoi a few nights ago, didn't realise it's a sit down restaurant as well. When I got home I discovered they threw in two pappadoms and a mint dip for free, nice touch.

just ordered from there now, first time, looking forward to it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Whats the deal with the majority of Indian delivery restaurants in the Dun Laoghaire area only offering only mild to medium dishes?

Nearly everything I've tried labelled as 'hot' is an embarrassment to the word.
    So far I've had Spice Cottage, Shanai, Bombay Pantry, Shakira, Jewel in the Crown and The Curry Garden.

Out of them, I'd say only Shakira and Jewel in the Crown's 'hot' food have been worthy of the label, with the latter's vindaloo being the most impressive.

Also they throw in some mint raita/pickled onion with a reasonably small order, which is great seeing as indian is often the most expensive of the takeaways.

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Rasam in Glasthule is excellent. Unfortunately, Ananda and the rest of the Jaipur chain don't do takeaways. If they did I would definitely recommend them first.

Advertisement