Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masala vs. Bombay Pantry?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shint0 wrote: »
    Rasam in Glasthule is excellent. Unfortunately, Ananda and the rest of the Jaipur chain don't do takeaways. If they did I would definitely recommend them first.

They do takeaways, they just don't deliver. I think Deliveroo collect from them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

just ordered from there now, first time, looking forward to it :cool:

Slightly disappointed with this given the build up it had on this thread :p Good but I still think I'll return to Spice Cottage though, if only as it's a bit nearer. Chicken dish was a bit of a puzzle. Lamb and veggie were both very good.
    Whats the deal with the majority of Indian delivery restaurants in the Dun Laoghaire area only offering only mild to medium dishes?

Nearly everything I've tried labelled as 'hot' is an embarrassment to the word.
    So far I've had Spice Cottage, Shanai, Bombay Pantry, Shakira, Jewel in the Crown and The Curry Garden.

Out of them, I'd say only Shakira and Jewel in the Crown's 'hot' food have been worthy of the label, with the latter's vindaloo being the most impressive.

Also they throw in some mint raita/pickled onion with a reasonably small order, which is great seeing as indian is often the most expensive of the takeaways.

Any recommendations?

They'll all use the same base gravy and finish each dish to order. I usually ask for some frsh chiilis to be added to the spice mix, or to th eonion mix if things re cooked from scratch. jewel In the Crown do seem to have the hottest base sauce alright.
    They do takeaways, they just don't deliver. I think Deliveroo collect from them though.

That's good to know (Deliveroo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

If you want hot and spicy in an indian restaurant then you have to ask for it not just go by what it says on the menu. Most indian restaurants are happy to make it as hot as you like but they generally play it safe for what they see as the conservative Irish palate. You just need to ask that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most indian restaurants are happy to make it as hot as you like but they generally play it safe for what they see as the conservative Irish palate.
    You could put on an Indian accent when phoning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Had the sit down at Delhi Rasoi over weekend. Still think its very good. It seems to be 2 chefs (50+) who run the show - has to be a good sign. One seems to be a small older guy. Was talking to the other one. He was telling me he likes to make the pastry for samosas himself and to cut the lamb from a leg of lamb rather than buy in cubed lamb. Have to say the starters and the lamb dishes are really good. Lamb is tender and with very little fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Had a takeaway in Delhi Rasoi last Saturday massively unimpressed. My onion bhaji was lovely and the husband loved his chicken pakora but everything else was bland. Chicken tikka masala and garlic naan both lacked any real taste and naan was very doughy.

Then went to Kathmandu in Dalkey last night as a last minute decision for a sit down meal and so glad I did food was amazing. Butterfly prawns and onion bhaji as starters where gorgeous so was chicken tikka masala, naan and rice couldn't fault any of it. I will go there in future for takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I hope you gave your feedback directly to source. I feel it is very harsh to openly criticize a new business like this without saying it directly to them, at least giving them a chance to rectify and address your complaint. I would imagine they would only be too pleased to do so for you.

I am all for constructive feedback but appropriated in a fair and even manner.

We want to welcome new businesses to Dun-Laoghaire (imo). There are peoples and their families livelihoods at stake. I would encourage as opposed to knocking unless of course they murdered, poisoned or robbed me.

Why would I complain to them? There was nothing wrong with the food as in not cooked fully or gone off but I really didn't like it. By me complaining the tikka masala was bland I very much doubt they'll change their recipe. Peoples taste differ many people here are saying it's nice so obviously they're doing something right I just personally didn't enjoy it at all and wouldn't go back.

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Why would I complain to them? There was nothing wrong with the food as in not cooked fully or gone off but I really didn't like it. By me complaining the tikka masala was bland I very much doubt they'll change their recipe. Peoples taste differ many people here are saying it's nice so obviously they're doing something right I just personally didn't enjoy it at all and wouldn't go back.

Maybe you are not in agreement with my point.

What I am saying is that in this case, this is a new business trying to get up and running off its feet. Somebody has invested their money and livelihood and has provided gainful employment to others. Reporting that you would never go back, imo is not helpful.

They are also renting and contributing rates etc., in one of Dun-Laoghaire's umpteen empty premises (which incidentally would simply be left to rot and fester like the hundreds of other depressing empty buildings).

At least let the poor proprietors know what you didn't like or what could be improved as opposed to simply posting on an open forum.

There is a thread on Dublin City's forum with interesting points of views echoing similar thoughts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057600839&page=3

Are you affiliated to them in any way?

This is a thread on local Indians, good and bad views are being aired on several. BP is being massively slated on this thread and Masala is also a new business which also had poor reviews on here one even liking them to sauce from a jar and I don't see you jumping to their defence?

I've aired my opinion on the take away that it wasn't for me that happens with eateries you can't please everybody's taste. I didn't come on here accusing them of undercooked chicken, poor quality meat or of finding a hair in my food. The food itself was cooked fine just bland for my tastes.

You'll also find that I had nothing but praise about Kathmandu in Dalkey so much so I had take away from there the other night and that will be new Indian from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I'm personally a fan of Delhi Lounge in Rathfarnham Village, and if you fancy a trip to the dark side Mango Tree is a superb Thai.

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Are you affiliated to them in any way?

Perhaps you don't get what I mean. I understand what you are saying though and will leave it at that.

I have no personal agenda whatsoever, and it is a shame that this goes over your head that an independent could voice a commercial concern...champion of the underdog sorta. In simple terms I cringe when I read slating reports (not that yours was). If you want to, have a look at the link I attached in previous post where it seems there are others that would seem to feel the same as I do about negative postings. That's all I am saying.

post number #43

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chinasea wrote: »
    Perhaps you don't get what I mean. I understand what you are saying though and will leave it at that.

I have no personal agenda whatsoever, and it is a shame that this goes over your head that an independent could voice a commercial concern...champion of the underdog sorta. In simple terms I cringe when I read slating reports (not that yours was). If you want to, have a look at the link I attached in previous post where it seems there are others that would seem to feel the same as I do about negative postings. That's all I am saying.

post number #43

I know what your saying.
    If they are a new place , give them a chance . The chef could be used to cooking for other nationalities. Give them a bit of feedback and they can adopt their cooking style to the local palate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I believe in fair critique, but in terms of levels of spicy all Indian places are bound to get it wrong for someone, people's tastes are so different. Best to ask for the level you want. Poor naans are a legitimate complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I'm personally a fan of Delhi Lounge in Rathfarnham Village, and if you fancy a trip to the dark side Mango Tree is a superb Thai.

My two regular haunts. Agree - both are fabulous. We are spoilt!

Chinasea wrote: »
    I hope you gave your feedback directly to source. I feel it is very harsh to openly criticize a new business like this without saying it directly to them, at least giving them a chance to rectify and address your complaint. I would imagine they would only be too pleased to do so for you.

I am all for constructive feedback but appropriated in a fair and even manner.

While I agree with you to a certain extent it can also depend very much on the level of skill and experience of a chef and more so how much the owners are willing or unwilling to pay for a properly trained experienced chef which can be a particularly significant issue in Indo/Pakistani/Bengali restaurants. Offering constructive criticism in these type of scenarios can sometimes have no relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

While I agree with you to a certain extent it can also depend very much on the level of skill and experience of a chef and more so how much the owners are willing or unwilling to pay for a properly trained experienced chef which can be a particularly significant issue in Indo/Pakistani/Bengali restaurants. Offering constructive criticism in these type of scenarios can sometimes have no relevance.

The chefs seem to be running Delhi Rasoi. The one I spoke to is very pleasant and I would say it is well worth discussing requirements/feedback directly with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is Curry Kitchen in DL new? Hadn't been down there in a while and saw it, looked good with the open kitchen. Anyone able to compare with Kathmandu or Spice Cottage?

Awaaf wrote: »
    The chefs seem to be running Delhi Rasoi. The one I spoke to is very pleasant and I would say it is well worth discussing requirements/feedback directly with him.

I don't actually know that particular restaurant as it seems new. I had a quick look at their TripAdvisor and Facebook. From the photos the food doesn't actually look bad colourwise and they seem to have made their own chutneys aswell which is good sign and not the usual bog standard ones. Might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Guys, does anybody have any recommendations for some Nepalese dishes from Kathmandu? Anything from mild to hot will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Guys, does anybody have any recommendations for some Nepalese dishes from Kathmandu? Anything from mild to hot will do.

the Sherpa Chilli chicken is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Sounds good! I will report back. :)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is Curry Kitchen in DL new? Hadn't been down there in a while and saw it, looked good with the open kitchen. Anyone able to compare with Kathmandu or Spice Cottage?
    I think you might mean the curry garden.

I think it is fairly new, I have not been in it but also noticed the nice openess of it.

http://www.thecurrygarden.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

Just ordered from Spice Cottage for the first time due to reviews on this thread.
    Very happy I did, the dishes were the nicest I've had from an Indian, far better than Bombay Pantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But does anyone know where I can get a nice Sukhe Aloo and a couple of chapattis?

Thirty years ago there was an Indian Restaurant in Dun Laoghaire ccalled the "Krishna" and their vegetarian foods and breasd were just weepingly good.

I still well up at the memory of the fresh tomato/lime juice/mustard seeds on their Sukhe Aloo. And the crisp-but-tender parathas with it, plus a dollop of fresh yogurt and a bit of pickle. Perfect fresh food and completely authentic. Gone are the days!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Spice Cottage
    Jewel in the Crown, Dun Laoghaire
    Kathmandu, Dalkey

If you triangulated the 3 I'd guess you wouldn't find my house too far from the meeting point.

Further data point, my wife, having more expensive tastes than I, favours Rasam takeaway. I find most of their output slightly sweet.

Rasam does takeaway now? Very interesting!

I Had Jewel in the crown on saturday. Lovely Chicken Korma. I always find with Indian takeaways, you should ask for extra meat in the curry tho.

Advertisement