Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying apartment to rent/sell in a couple of years?

Options
  • 28-03-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Looking for some advice folks: I'm still at home in Dublin but looking to move out soon.

With Dublin rents the way they are I'm debating buying but while I have a decent deposit saved, I probably wouldn't have enough for the type of house I'd really want in the LT.

As such I'm swaying towards buying an apartment instead. My plan would be to live there for 1/2 years and then either a) sell it off and buy the proper home or b) rent it out while I go travelling or a year or so.

Any thoughts?

Bar 'using up' my first time mortgage benefit (the 10% deposit of up tom €220k) am I missing any other potential pitfalls?

Comments

If you rent it out any increase in value when you sell it on will be subject to CGT, also only the interest (75% of) on the mortgage is deductible as an expense. You'll probably pay some income tax on the rent.

Get a sh1tty/awkward tenant that knows the law you can be taken for a serious ride financially..... in saying that I'm a landlord over 10 years now and have never had an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Augeo wrote: »
    If you rent it out any increase in value when you sell it on will be subject to CGT

Only partially true, the time OP has it as PPR is taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Id imagine the cost of selling it on would make it a bad idea to buy it if you were only going to hold on to if for a year or two. Couple that with the loss of first time buyer status, and it would seem to make more sense to rent.
    If you intend to rent it out after a couple of years, there's plenty definite and potential costs associated with that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I sometime have to do a double when posts like this come up. Your thinking of buying an apartment and potentially flipping it about a year or so to upgrade to a house and then going traveling for another year then .the madness is well and truly returning in the market!!

You'd be a lot better off going traveling and see where life takes you and reassess your decision to buy somewhere after. A huge financial outlay like a property purchase to avoid renting and selling in short term is a huge risk and I think your underestimating the complexity renting the property when going traveling to boot

I have a similar plan to the op (no intention of going travelling though). Planning to buy somewhere asap as I refuse to pay the extortionate rents so will tolerate sharing until I buy. I would live in it for a few years and then most likely rent it out when I want to upgrade to a bigger place/move back home where I want to settle down for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Villa05

Property is a high risk as a short term investment

Be prepared to accept the consquences of it not working out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You also need to take into account just how little you would actually pay off the mortgage in the first couple of years. I think it might be something like 80% of the payments go towards interest in the first year or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The boom is well and truly back if we are having serious discussions about flipping properties for profit in the short term. Did we learn nothing at all from the last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Villa05 wrote: »
    Property is a high risk as a short term investment

Be prepared to accept the consquences of it not working out

Can you explain why Dublin property is a high risk investment over the next couple of years?

The boom is well and truly back if we are having serious discussions about flipping properties for profit in the short term. Did we learn nothing at all from the last time?

Why do people use 'the boom' as an economic reference point? It's like the property market never existed either side of it and the implication is, with a statement like this is, that any investment will end up tanking like in 2008. It's an awful and uninformed analysis of any investment decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

viper006 wrote: »
    I sometime have to do a double when posts like this come up. Your thinking of buying an apartment and potentially flipping it about a year or so to upgrade to a house and then going traveling for another year then .the madness is well and truly returning in the market!!

You'd be a lot better off going traveling and see where life takes you and reassess your decision to buy somewhere after. A huge financial outlay like a property purchase to avoid renting and selling in short term is a huge risk and I think your underestimating the complexity renting the property when going traveling to boot

Plus if you leave long term and become a non residental landlord, the tenants will be responsible for paying 20% of the rent directly to the revenue

http://www.rentalincome.ie/rental-types/non-resident-landlords/

Plus if you leave long term and become a non residental landlord, the tenants will be responsible for paying 20% of the rent directly to the revenue

http://www.rentalincome.ie/rental-types/non-resident-landlords/

Or you could assign a person (a family member) based in Ireland to collect the rent in full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Looking for some advice folks: I'm still at home in Dublin but looking to move out soon.

With Dublin rents the way they are I'm debating buying but while I have a decent deposit saved, I probably wouldn't have enough for the type of house I'd really want in the LT.

As such I'm swaying towards buying an apartment instead. My plan would be to live there for 1/2 years and then either a) sell it off and buy the proper home or b) rent it out while I go travelling or a year or so.

Any thoughts?

Bar 'using up' my first time mortgage benefit (the 10% deposit of up tom €220k) am I missing any other potential pitfalls?

Quoting the OP as it seems to have gone OT a bit.

There isn't a tradition of doing that in Ireland OP. 1/2 years is definitely the very short term. If it was more like 5 years then I'd say assess the housing market and make a decision. Being from the UK I see nothing wrong with the 'property ladder' and it's something my relations did without too much issue. You start of small and work your way up. Due to the boom it has bad connotations here but I wouldn't let that put you off. What should put you off if the potential that apartments might see a fairly big drop. At the moment there are very small volumes and apartments seem to be doing slightly strange things in terms of price. There's just enough Paddy property investors out there whose level of research is asking down the pub or on boards buying apartments to rent out 'because you never lose on property"!

If you're still at home and your family aren't abusive I would strongly recommend staying there at the moment if it's for a year or so. It could potentially take that long to close on a place anyway. Go traveling without the albatross of a non paying tenant or potential of negative equity hanging around your neck.

If you've a few quid saved and nothing to do with it for 12-36 months talk to a Financial advisor. If he/she thinks property is a good idea then go with it. If they can give you a safer investment with better return then you'd be a bit of a fool not to go with that wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I did. I was a teenager during the bust, anf what I've learned is going to benefit me immensely financially in my future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Crunch the numbers carefully and thoroughly. Generally a 1 - 2 year timeline for property ownership is very inadvisable as the costs of buying and selling aren't readily paid back by savings on rent vs interest repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I did. I was a teenager during the bust, anf what I've learned is going to benefit me immensely financially in my future.

Well done, I am the same, although slightly older than yourself. It has benefited me massively already, and will hopefully do so in the future (I bought at the height of recession in 2012) Always keep in mind the massive financial crash we just had and you wont ever go too far wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Why do people use 'the boom' as an economic reference point? It's like the property market never existed either side of it and the implication is, with a statement like this is, that any investment will end up tanking like in 2008. It's an awful and uninformed analysis of any investment decision

It doesn't exactly take a PhD in economics to see that flipping a property in a short time frame is risky. The costs of buying and selling are high, you'll lose the first time buyer advantage and interest rates will most likely increase in the medium term. When the op returns from his or her travels they could easily be left servicing a debt on a property that doesn't suit their needs. Property in general looks like a good long term investment, but a pretty poor short term one as there is far too much risk. Would you like more "uninformed analysis" or shall we leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

It doesn't exactly take a PhD in economics to see that flipping a property in a short time frame is risky. The costs of buying and selling are high, you'll lose the first time buyer advantage and interest rates will most likely increase in the medium term. When the op returns from his or her travels they could easily be left servicing a debt on a property that doesn't suit their needs. Property in general looks like a good long term investment, but a pretty poor short term one as there is far too much risk. Would you like more "uninformed analysis" or shall we leave it there.

+1

As someone who bought last year and intends to buy again in the future, I can confirm that in the short term, this would be a baaaaad plan.

The upfront costs are substantial. I'm planning on staying in my place for at least 5 years to make it worth my while. There were costs that I'd budgeted for but others cropped up that I hadnt. I'm not really even doing it as an investment, but obviously I don't want to lose money either. 1/2 years is just too tight a timeframe IMO.

In the boom a lot of people/amature property developers were making money just because the market was flying, rather than by any great business acumen on their part. This isnt really a realistic expectation anymore. Its quite possible that your property could stagnate in value/drop a few %.... and then what do you do?

I think overall, prices will rise over the next 5-10 years, but there could be fluctuations wihtin that time, and if your timescales are rigid, you risk getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Thanks for all the responses thus far, some really interesting insights.

To be clear: flipping the property over for a profit was not my main priority. I'm basically looking to move out but not willing to pay the extortionate rents at present and, as such, I was looking to instead purchase an apartment as a launch pad to a house in a couple of years. This may be delayed by a year if I decide to travel but the basic principle is the same.

The costs up front of doing so are probably more extensive than I have envisaged however, along with the obvious risks in terms of market value...

It doesn't exactly take a PhD in economics to see that flipping a property in a short time frame is risky.

Your original context for that was 'the boom' is back, not that flipping property is risky. Flipping property is risky in the current, rising Dublin market?
    The costs of buying and selling are high, you'll lose the first time buyer advantage

Buying in Dublin - so what? The price of property negates the benefit.
    and interest rates will most likely increase in the medium term.

Medium term = 1/2/3 years?
    When the op returns from his or her travels they could easily be left servicing a debt on a property that doesn't suit their needs.

what makes you think that?
    Property in general looks like a good long term investment, but a pretty poor short term one as there is far too much risk. Would you like more "uninformed analysis" or shall we leave it there.

Yes, if your benchmark is 'the boom' not the many, many years before 05 - 08 where the property market was stable. Pretty poor range you have selected for your analysis.

• Advertisement

Your original context for that was 'the boom' is back, not that flipping property is risky. Flipping property is risky in the current, rising Dublin market?

Buying in Dublin - so what? The price of property negates the benefit.

Medium term = 1/2/3 years?

what makes you think that?

Yes, if your benchmark is 'the boom' not the many, many years before 05 - 08 where the property market was stable. Pretty poor range you have selected for your analysis.

2 things.

1. Prices havent been rising in Dublin for the past year or so.
    2. Prices don't negate the benefit of being a FTB (altough personally I don't think its that much of a benefit). You pay 10% up to €220k, and 20% thereafter. On your next purchase, you need 20% of the entire purchase price. We don't know the OP's budget, but for example if its €250k, then the FTB rules apply to the vast majority of the purchase price, with 20% only applying to €30k of the purchase price.

Thanks for all the responses thus far, some really interesting insights.

To be clear: flipping the property over for a profit was not my main priority. I'm basically looking to move out but not willing to pay the extortionate rents at present and, as such, I was looking to instead purchase an apartment as a launch pad to a house in a couple of years. This may be delayed by a year if I decide to travel but the basic principle is the same.

The costs up front of doing so are probably more extensive than I have envisaged however, along with the obvious risks in terms of market value...

Whats your budget OP, and what area and property type are you thinking of?

Worth noting that some lenders won't even offer mortgages on 1 bed apartments.

2 things.

1. Prices havent been rising in Dublin for the past year or so.
    2. Prices don't negate the benefit of being a FTB (altough personally I don't think its that much of a benefit). You pay 10% up to €220k, and 20% thereafter. On your next purchase, you need 20% of the entire purchase price. We don't know the OP's budget, but for example if its €250k, then the FTB rules apply to the vast majority of the purchase price, with 20% only applying to €30k of the purchase price.

Prices in Dublin are up 4% yoy, based on February's figures.

Personally speaking, I think the FTB rules are irrelevant for Dublin and that more weight should be attached to LTI in this case. Buying in Dublin is more to do with the LTI rather than your ability to raise a deposit

Prices in Dublin are up 4% yoy, based on February's figures.

Personally speaking, I think the FTB rules are irrelevant for Dublin and that more weight should be attached to LTI in this case. Buying in Dublin is more to do with the LTI rather than your ability to raise a deposit

Agree. I do think its the deposit requried that is actually causing the Dublin market to stutter a bit. If you look at the month by month breakdown, its up one month and down the next. I think this is reflective of (i) low volumes and (ii) people really struggling to save the required deposits, especially on family homes as they can be significant.

Whats your budget OP, and what area and property type are you thinking of?

Worth noting that some lenders won't even offer mortgages on 1 bed apartments.

Really? That's interesting. I would be looking for a one or two bed apartment for in and around €250k.

Ideally somewhere along either Luas lines or with good links to town.

Some areas I would be interested: Smithfield, Stoneybatter, Rathmines, Sandyford etc etc.

I like the look of this place in Inchicore also.

Aside from the discussions re finances, a lot of people I have spoken with have recommended foregoing the apartment and waiting until I can buy a house instead.

Their main reason was the more transient nature of those living around you and the lack of control you have over their actions. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? I suppose it depends on the area and general luck of the draw also...

Their main reason was the more transient nature of those living around you and the lack of control you have over their actions. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? I suppose it depends on the area and general luck of the draw also...

Can you explain that comment a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It is a high risk game you are playing OP, but once you are aware of the potential consequences then by all means work away.

It will be interesting to see in a few years all these "investors" coming back onto this forum moaning that there investment has gone south, and yet crying out for their "bailout".

Can you explain that comment a bit more?

Basically when compared with a house, an apartment will likely have more neighbours directly around it. And these neighbours are likely to change quite a bit given that a lot will be renting. As such, there's a greater chance of something going wrong in terms of people being loud, leaks etc

Really? That's interesting. I would be looking for a one or two bed apartment for in and around €250k.

Ideally somewhere along either Luas lines or with good links to town.

Some areas I would be interested: Smithfield, Stoneybatter, Rathmines, Sandyford etc etc.

I like the look of this place in Inchicore also.

Aside from the discussions re finances, a lot of people I have spoken with have recommended foregoing the apartment and waiting until I can buy a house instead.

few things...

1. BIG difference between the 2 Luas Lines. With your budget I'd suggest Red is more realistic.
    2. That property in Inchicore is very small for a 3 bed. I think it would be tight, but go see it and find out.
    3. When you buy into a block of apartments, chances are that a fair proportion are rented. Tenants tend not to look after their properties and communal areas as well as owner occupiers. Secondly, you're also buying into a Management Company, and you have to abide by the "house rules", so yes, you've less control than if you own a house. Also, an OMC can fail if there is an issue with non payment of fees etc. Have you even taken the cost of management fees into account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

€250K gets you striaght into 3 bed semi/end of terrace territory if you're canny about the area.

I spent around that on a 4 bed Semi within 2 minutes walk of the DART station. I'd suggest it would be very illadvised to sped that amount of money on an apartment. The yield would be terrible.

Berry's close has some interesting 'wildlife'. Well more the area, it's grand but you'd want to bnot be afraid of telling knackers to feck off.

Advertisement