Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working extra hours/weekend work

Options
  • 28-03-2016 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for a small bit of advice here.

I am in my job about 6 months now and was happy enough until recently. It's the usual deal of 39 hours during the week, well at least that's what I signed up for anyway.

I was asked to work days over Christmas and in return I would get days holidays in lieu. That was no problem as its was not a going to be a regular occurrence and I would surely be making a good impression in my new job.

Lately I have been asked to work weekends and almost all public holidays (Paddy's day and today) for about 3 hours each day. I was putting up with it as I thought it would be good for my position in the company, I am still on probation obviously. But I am wondering if I am being taken advantage of.

I have worked one full Saturday. And the last 3 weekends have done approx. 6 hours per weekend without any sort of extra pay. So i have worked 45 hours per week leaving me earning below the min wage. Should I assume things will only get worse or more demanding? Should I say no to the weekend work and jeopardize my job?
    They are full of thanks and praise as I am getting them out of a hole doing the work but any mention of being "looked after" isn't followed up.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does your contract say anything like "from time to time you may be asked to work extra hours outside of your contracted hours?"

And did you get paid extra or given time in lieu for working bank holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stheno wrote: »
    Does your contract say anything like "from time to time you may be asked to work extra hours outside of your contracted hours?"

And did you get paid extra or given time in lieu for working bank holidays?

Thank you approving my post.

No, my contract doesn't say anything like that. It's a very basic contract that says I will work 39 hours per week. It's also out of date now, the original and only contract I signed was for 3 months.

I got nothing, no extra pay or time in lieu for Paddy's Day or today (I worked 3 hours Paddys Day and 2 hours today). I DID get days in lieu for Christmas, or at least I was promised them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

GoneAnon wrote: »
    Thank you approving my post.

No, my contract doesn't say anything like that. It's a very basic contract that says I will work 39 hours per week. It's also out of date now, the original and only contract I signed was for 3 months.

I got nothing, no extra pay or time in lieu for Paddy's Day or today (I worked 3 hours Paddys Day and 2 hours today). I DID get days in lieu for Christmas, or at least I was promised them.

When you receive "days in lieu", you understand that means you have more time off?. To get the time off, you apply for them, in other words, you normally get twenty days a year off if you work full time five days a week, the time in lieu may mean you have an extra 2-3 days off, just ask your employer for clarification and book them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Doesnt sound right to expect extra work with no time in lieu or payment. When is your probation up? 6 months is pretty standard any word on permanancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

screamer wrote: »
    Doesnt sound right to expect extra work with no time in lieu or payment. When is your probation up? 6 months is pretty standard any word on permanancy?

They have told op that there will be time in lieu, I don't think the op understands what that means.

• Advertisement

I do understand time in lieu and I have received these extra holidays for my work over Christmas. However no time in lieu was offered for paddy's day or for the full Saturday I did a month ago.

Surely if I am doing 6 hours per weekend going forward it can't all be given as time off in lieu?? I'd build up far too much quite quickly.

My probation is one year.

I do understand time in lieu and I have received these extra holidays for my work over Christmas. However no time in lieu was offered for paddy's day or for the full Saturday I did a month ago.

Surely if I am doing 6 hours per weekend going forward it can't all be given as time off in lieu?? I'd build up far too much quite quickly.

My probation is one year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you asked your manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

Just cause you are on probatoon doesn't mean you should ask is there compensation for the extra hours. Do others work overtime? If you let or go on it will become expected and you need to clarify so that you are fully aware that if you agree what the terms are. In my experience even when I wasn't paid for overtime I was paid expenses for the day as in travel to and from work and lunch. I really think you need to ask your manager you have showed willingness so they can't hold it against you.

Advertisement