Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wire Blu Ray £45 (€58) - Amazon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

fdb24b6db94c6c3d10a698fc7f91acca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

If there was any boxset that was worth the money it's The Wire. 60 hours of pure brilliance. A Euro an hour, you couldnt beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Satriale wrote: »
    If there was any boxset that was worth the money it's The Wire. 60 hours of pure brilliance. A Euro an hour, you couldnt beat it.

Still a waste of money imho. DVDs are probably the worst 'investment' anyone could ever make.

Have a look around car boot sales or the clasifieds, you couldn't give them away these days. For me this price is crazy for something you'd watch once.

Having said that, I seen it a couple of years back after being late to it. Yes its a great show, but a poor way to spend £45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

NIMAN wrote: »
    Still a waste of money imho. DVDs are probably the worst 'investment' anyone could ever make.
    They're Blu-ray discs not DVDs. They're also 16:9 HD not the original 4:3 SD.
    Have a look around car boot sales or the clasifieds, you couldn't give them away these days. For me this price is crazy for something you'd watch once.
    I've watched The Wire a few times. For many people it's a series worth multiple viewings.
    Having said that, I seen it a couple of years back after being late to it. Yes its a great show, but a poor way to spend £45
    The price is in keeping with other HBO complete season collections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I know it's popular, but watched the first season and couldn't understand why? It came across as a documentary on drug dealing in the hood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jilm wrote: »
    They're Blu-ray discs not DVDs. They're also 16:9 HD not the original 4:3 SD.
    I've watched The Wire a few times. For many people it's a series worth multiple viewings.

The price is in keeping with other HBO complete season collections.

BR's or DVDs, basic point is the same, its a waste of money imho.

Go along to your local library and get them for a lot cheaper. Or buy them 2nd hand for a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

BR's or DVDs, basic point is the same, its a waste of money imho.

Go along to your local library and get them for a lot cheaper. Or buy them 2nd hand for a lot cheaper.

"Your local library" will not have the complete box set of The Wire on blu-ray. Cheapest offer for this on eBay is €76

Great bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Maybe I'm younger than some posters here and its personal opinion, But there is no way in hell i would spend that kind of money on a DVD (or blu-ray) box set. I haven't opened a single DVD from my collection in years. In this age of Digital streaming and downloads (both legal and otherwise) you'd have to be insane to spend that when the content is readily available online.

Edit: The Wire Is a top notch series and 100% worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Owning physical media is so last decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I finished watching the complete series just this weekend. Hands down the best US TV series ever. About 10 times better than the Sopranos. Worth the investment in time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Skatedude wrote: »
    I know it's popular, but watched the first season and couldn't understand why? It came across as a documentary on drug dealing in the hood?

:eek::eek::eek:

Give it a bit more time !! While some people did not like season 2 , I think it's very good. Seasons 3 and 4 are excellent, while the 5th and last season is a bit weaker IMO

Anyone that is still jonesing on it should watch "The Corner", another hbo series by Simon (preceded the wire).

it's been a few years since i've seen it, but definitely worth watching. Plenty of the same actors from the wire in it too. A tad depressing , but what other way could it be given the subject matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

stimpson wrote: »
    I finished watching the complete series just this weekend. Hands down the best US TV series ever. About 10 times better than the Sopranos. Worth the investment in time and money.

The Sopranos is hugely overrated IMO. Only gets good in the last 2 seasons when they actually bring.. y'know... the Mob into the story. The rest is filled with teenage angst and a very annoying wife!

Tried The Wire and season 1 gets much better as it goes on, but season 2 I haven't even made it through it's so different.

If you want a great US cop show/drama, get The Shield. Fantastic from start to finish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The Sopranos is hugely overrated IMO. Only gets good in the last 2 seasons when they actually bring.. y'know... the Mob into the story. The rest is filled with teenage angst and a very annoying wife!

Tried The Wire and season 1 gets much better as it goes on, but season 2 I haven't even made it through it's so different.

If you want a great US cop show/drama, get The Shield. Fantastic from start to finish :)

I loved the Sopranos for the most part - great writing and casting. But I thought it was about 3 or 4 seasons too long. It's like they were milking it.

Season 2 of the Wire starts a bit slow, but improves. It sets the scene for later seasons as you get introduced to Mr Big. It's well worth continuing - it only gets better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

does anyone know where you can buy a digital version of the whole series? a previous poster said that media such as BR and DVD are old school now and I agree, I would prefer digital copy.

if you just want to watch it again, the box sets are included on your sky package I believe (if you are using Sky)

Watched a few episodes from season 4 that were on late good friday night I think. Snoop and Chris :cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

i dont have sky :( but I did see if it was available on nowtv (sky online service and its currently not available) and hbo go is not available in Ireland :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have a look around car boot sales or the clasifieds, you couldn't give them away these days.

Yes its a great show, but a poor way to spend £45.
    On ebay you can check completed listings, to see what things genuinely sold for in the last month or so, not what chancers try and sell for.

The cheapest used one, (opened and claiming to be brand new) I can see sold for £38 and would have been £12.31 postage to here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Wire-Complete-Box-Set-Seasons-1-5-blu-ray-/201528325477?hash=item2eec063565:g:R9gAAOSwFNZWysnG

Another went for £50 and £8 post to here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WIRE-Complete-Series-All-5-Seasons-Collection-Blu-Ray-Box-Set-/272170539072?hash=item3f5ea0d840:g:65YAAOSwr7ZW5yHT

People offering €55 for new on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/blu-ray/the-wire-the-complete-series-blu-ray-new/9472206

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Totally a bargain and the restoration work that went into the Blueray box set is staggering.

Check out the blog post from the creator David Simon on the work done to get it to Blueray.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

Advertisement