Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Centenary RTE 1

• 28-03-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say I'm enjoying this,RTE have done well with this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Ah will ya quit, it's terrible.

The foggy dew was the worst version ive ever heard, singing a song slower and sadder doesnt make it better.

'Grace' was class but the rest was so dull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Bit mixed. Imelda may was great but Colm Wilkinson voice went years ago. The audience are on drugs they're whooping and hollering for every act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Wtf! This has turned into Eurovision! What a godawful song!!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

I have to say I thought it was brilliant. Really well produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

Not usually one for this kind of RTE production, nor for the performers, but mightily impressed with it as a show/spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Ha I just said that here.

It is a poor end to a very well put together show.

Yeah that last song was crap but the rest was super!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Something for everyone with out making it a jack of all trades. Very good production if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

I have to say it... well done RTE really enjoyed the show... Brilliant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Who sang One?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Fight Club's on Tea-na-Gee...much better

Cosmo2013 wrote: »
    Yeah that last song was crap but the rest was super!

You can't follow up a presidential speech on such a monumental day with that, let alone end the show. It really was shocking. Finish off with something uplifting but something moving and meaningful.

Really irritated me!

Something for everyone with out making it a jack of all trades. Very good production if you ask me

By all means throw it in but not at the end of the show following presidential speech! Otherwise was excellently put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Tsipras wrote: »
    Who sang One?

Colm Wilkinson

That was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

By all means throw it in but not at the end of the show following presidential speech! Otherwise was excellently put together.

I agree should of been near the start when the younger members of the audience would have been awake

Boards still boards I see... lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 sarciegit

Where was it recorded?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

sarciegit wrote: »
    Where was it recorded?

Bord Gias Theatre I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sarciegit wrote: »
    Where was it recorded?

Bord Gais Energy Theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Doctor C

Enjoyed most of it. My highlight was Sibeal Ni Cassidy singing Mise Eire. Great version and great voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I really enjoyed it. Very well put together.

Joe Duffy no doubt sitting outside with a booooooook stall....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nicely done, they should perhaps do the concert every year to commemorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Joe Duffy no doubt sitting outside with a booooooook stall....

It's not booooooook.

It's buke.

As in nuke. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Foggy Dew was abysmal. Awful version.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

At times excellent - to the point of emotional - the ending ripped the arse out of the whole show, and left it all seriously anti-climatic. I was pleasantly surprised by Imelda, a song I'd never heard, but beautifully delivered. Overall, I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Despite all that's said about RTE, they can do the business when they put their collective minds to it. I thought that was one of the best home productions I've seen in years. Well done to all concerned.

At times excellent - to the point of emotional - the ending ripped the arse out of the whole show, and left it all seriously anti-climatic. I was pleasantly surprised by Imelda, a song I'd never heard, but beautifully delivered. Overall, I enjoyed it.

It's Not Easy Being Green?

It's from The Muppet Show, originally sung by Kermit the Frog.

Someone in RTE has a sense of humour. :D

• Advertisement

Definitely agree with that...very emotive in parts...the end turned out like a poor mans Glee but overall it was wonderful.

I have a feeling the audience are a mixture of dignitaries, tourists, and choir groups. All involved in the coreography. (A little bit cheesy at stages!)

Raise Me Up should have finished it off.

ProudDUB wrote: »

Are you sure it's the same song? I don't think so - but open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

She did it very well, I had to rewind to make sure it was what I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Yer man from the Coronas stole the show for me. What an incredible performance of Grace. Gorgeous harmonies. Very emotional. The rest was a bit dull at times but overall I was impressed. For RTE I mean.

Are you sure it's the same song? I don't think so - but open to correction.

Unless she sang more than one song, that's the one. I'm only half way thru watching it back now.

• Advertisement

Yer man from the Coronas stole the show for me. What an incredible performance of Grace. Gorgeous harmonies. Very emotional. The rest was a bit dull at times but overall I was impressed. For RTE I mean.

Ah give credit to the other pair singing with him. That was Kilmainham Gaol, ye?

Unless she sang more than one song, that's the one. I'm only half way thru watching it back now.

I've just checked, and you're correct, apologies for doubting you. Nonetheless, a lovely version by Imelda, in my opinion (and I'm no big fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Danny and his sister was it?

I've just checked, and you're correct, apologies for doubting you. Nonetheless, a lovely version by Imelda, in my opinion (and I'm no big fan)

Nae problem. I'm just glad that someone injected a touch of levity into the proceedings, coz shows like this can veer wildly between cloyingly twee and excruciatingly cringe worthy. The open was deffo in one of those 2 categories. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Danny and his sister was it?

yeah his sister and his cousin. their voices blended so beautifully.

• Advertisement

And in typically RTE fashion, there is barely any sound coming from the mic of lad singing in the second number. Can hear the choir and the bodhran no problem, but not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭5948ai

ProudDUB wrote:
    Great show overall...pity about the ending.

Am up to Danny & the Coronas now. The singing is utterly wonderful, as is reading out the letters of those that were shot, to their loved ones. But all the interpretive dance is cringe worthy nonsense. It's not Cirque du Soleil FFS !

The executions. Wow !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was a great performance by the trio and the end bit of moving through the corridor to the yard where the executions would happen was very moving.

GPO.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sarciegit wrote:
    Where was it recorded?

It was done live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yeah it was quite good save the ending. I know what they were trying to do, but thing they got it badly wrong with it. Especially so after such a good speech by the President. Of course the undertone of his speech was looking forward to the next generation of cultural artists but jebus surely we could have put something better on display than that.

Also, the foggy dew is one of my favourite songs ever and it's not meant to be sang at such a slow pace and doing so, in the fashion it was on this show, ruined it IMO.

Also think they should have finished with Amháin na bhfiann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

And in typically RTE fashion, there is barely any sound coming from the mic of lad singing in the second number. Can hear the choir and the bodhran no problem, but not him.

I know the choir part in the ninth number was prerecorded a week ago. The live choir were singing but their mics weren't on. Suspect Iarla was singing live. Not sure about the second number. This may have confused whoever was doing the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

The new generation of the black family was the best singing grace overall thought it was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

what did people think of cu chulainn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MugsGame wrote: »
    I know the choir part in the nineth number was prerecorded a week ago. The live choir were singing but threir mics weren't on. Suspect Iarla was singing live. Not sure about the second number. This may have confused whoever was doing the mix.

Which choir part was pre-recorded?

Iarla's piece was on film - as was the entire sequence from Kilmainham. Iarla's piece was filmed in the Garden of Remembrance but that was a studio sound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement