Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Centenary RTE 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I must be the only one who liked the Foggy Dew, I thought it was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

hardCopy wrote:
    I must be the only one who liked the Foggy Dew, I thought it was really good.

Me too. Different but good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

I missed this last night but I see it's repeated tonight after Code Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thought parts of the show were excellent but they rushed the last 50 years. Very little on the paedophilia in the church, babies being sold by the nuns, boom to bust, etc. Felt they brushed it all under the carpet with the short compilation of very brief clips.

I know they probably wanted to stick with the positives but for many people events like those will be difficult to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

First Up wrote: »
    Which choir part was pre-recorded?

Iarla's piece was on film - as was the entire sequence from Kilmainham. Iarla's piece was filmed in the Garden of Remembrance but that was a studio sound.

The whole audience were a choir by looks of it. Or else they were the most in synch drugged up bunch I've ever seen !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Glee meets Les Miserables meets trad night at Johnny Fox's pub.

Really well executed (pardon the pun) by those responsible from RTE.

It caps off a period of time where RTE has got it's knickers in a twist over delivering everything it can - good or bad - on the 1916 Rising.

Some of it has been of a high standard and some has been absolutely fooked together.
    Not sure why RTE feels obliged to organize the likes of street ceili and the like.

It's curious when, not too long ago, managers and programme makers in RTE felt this sort of thing was only for Provos and Padraig Pearse was nothing more than a deranged paedo.

How times have changed at Montrose! I'm sure we can expect the paw out looking for a nice, hefty licence fee increase to justify them actually doing a decent job (in general) for once. This is what this is really all about, in my view.

The whole audience were a choir by looks of it. Or else they were the most in synch drugged up bunch I've ever seen !!

The choir members numbered about 450, spread around the theatre.

Expunge wrote: »

Really well executed (pardon the pun) by those responsible from RTE.

It caps off a period of time where RTE has got it's knickers in a twist over delivering everything it can - good or bad - on the 1916 Rising.

Not sure why RTE feels obliged to organize the likes of street ceili and the like.

I think it's because they were asked to organise a day of commemoration with the emphasis on the cultural and artistic, which I think was a brilliant call. They are the state broadcaster and I can't think of who else would have better expertise and resources to do it.

From what I saw of Dublin city centre yesterday it was phenomenally well supported. Hats off to RTE - a huge effort (and yes, probably drained the budget for the next while.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭doniem

Does anyone know is there a full recording of that rendition of grace available to listen to anywhere?

• Advertisement

doniem wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there a full recording of that rendition of grace available to listen to anywhere?

I'd say there will be a DVD of it all pretty soon but in the meantime your best bet is to record it off tonight's re-broadcast. I think the programme should be on the RTE Player pretty soon as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

brian_t wrote: »
    I missed this last night but I see it's repeated tonight after Code Black.

I see they have moved the repeat to an earlier timeslot now (10.15pm, swapped with Code Black)

https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/714878759212617730

Hopefully viewers (and their recording devices) don't miss the repeat because of this switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Say what you want about the events, but you can't deny RTE have done a great job in covering them both on TV and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Bit mixed. Imelda may was great but Colm Wilkinson voice went years ago. The audience are on drugs they're whooping and hollering for every act.

That's true about the audience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anyone listening to Radio 1?

Kevin Rowland on fine form :)

You would have preferred respectful silence I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Who sang the version of wrap the green flag? It was very good. Shame about Mo Ghile Mear. He is an exceptional singer and has a very good version of the Parting Glass on YouTube. From UCD.

Say what you want about the events, but you can't deny RTE have done a great job in covering them both on TV and radio.

As they should in fairness. It would have been a travesty if it wasnt top notch.TG4 is so much better for national historical programming though all year round. Some excellent documentaries and it doesn't need a 100 year commemoration for them to put the effort in.

Audience were Ireland's version of gospel choirs. I'd imagine they have been part of the rehearsals for the last couple of months. (And yes there would have been months of planning gone into this) There was even an audience researcher as part of the production team!

It was better than looking at a load of politicians going through the motions but also it got intensely cringe worth watching them at certain stages!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will RTE release a cd of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Who sang the version of wrap the green flag? It was very good. Shame about Mo Ghile Mear. He is an exceptional singer and has a very good version of the Parting Glass on YouTube. From UCD.

Sean Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A stunning job I would say. They set the tone for all the events we saw this weekend, especially the parade on Sunday : I don't think these things would have been as successful without RTE's input for the last few weeks. I think they did a good job too of putting men like Pearse and Connolly front and centre again and did it by presenting both sides of the argument about their role in the Rising.

Audience were Ireland's version of gospel choirs. I'd imagine they have been part of the rehearsals for the last couple of months. (And yes there would have been months of planning gone into this) There was even an audience researcher as part of the production team!

Ten months in preparation.

The "audience" choirs got their material about two months ago. They had two (long) rehearsals over the past few weeks.

Those involved in all the various sections will have been doing their own preps but the first time everyone got together was Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will RTE release a cd of this?

Some of the songs from it are on iTunes and even charting at the moment : Mise Eire and the Seo Linn one (and there's three different versions of 'Grace' on the chart).

Glued to it again tonight:). It's just as superb the second time around. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 shadowman.ie

The Mo Ghile Mear song was performed by the UCD Choral Scholars. Fronted by Mark Waters. (Full disclosure he is my younger brother...... extremely proud! :) )

I know people have been saying the audio wasn't great for that number so I am going to put the link to a youtube video the choir released recently.

I must say I found the whole event extremely well produced and it hit the mark on all fronts. It is something I'm sure that we will see again and hopefully RTE can continue to make productions with this quality in the future.

And another where they performed it on the late late show

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i know someone that was in the audience for the last number. first time they got together was Saturday. some of them were very young as well. they rehearsed twice on sunday, and all day Monday. long days and they did get a bit of beef curry after being there the whole day. perhaps they could have done a bit more with the food! but everyone in the audience gave it their all, and they did it for the art of it all. so I know what she put into it, heart and soul. that's what our country is all about, and the last number - the young ones enjoyed it, and would know this group from the Gaeltacht etc. and they thought it was great. it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me it made a pleasant change. something for everyone. I loved the Grace rendition. my young one said it made her very emotional during rehearsals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who is that lad singing One?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 shadowman.ie

Colm Wilkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Colm Wilkinson

The Mo Ghile Mear song was performed by the UCD Choral Scholars. Fronted by Mark Waters. (Full disclosure he is my younger brother...... extremely proud! :) )

I know people have been saying the audio wasn't great for that number so I am going to put the link to a youtube video the choir released recently.

I must say I found the whole event extremely well produced and it hit the mark on all fronts. It is something I'm sure that we will see again and hopefully RTE can continue to make productions with this quality in the future.

And another where they performed it on the late late show
    You have every right to be proud Shadowman! I thought Mo Ghile Mear was lovely. It must have been a fabulous experience for Mark and the choir to be part of such a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

It was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I set my TV to record it only to see RTE moved it's time that's a shame :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Inbox wrote: »
    I set my TV to record it only to see RTE moved it's time that's a shame :(

a lot of it is on youtube now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thought parts of the show were excellent but they rushed the last 50 years. Very little on the paedophilia in the church, babies being sold by the nuns, boom to bust, etc. Felt they brushed it all under the carpet with the short compilation of very brief clips.

I know they probably wanted to stick with the positives but for many people events like those will be difficult to forget.

But the concert wasn't supposed to be a depiction of our entire history over the past 100 years. It was a commemoration of very specific and unique events, over a very specific time frame. Yes, the legacy of all that resulted in some really shameful episodes in our history, that will be difficult to get over. But you can hardly expect a 90 minute concert to cover in great detail, every single important thing that has happened on our island, over the past 100 years.

The Reeling in the Years type snippets were an acknowledgment that all would not be perfect in Pearse and Connolly's shiny new Republic. Anything more would have taken the show in whole new direction altogether, that I don't think was appropriate for the day that was in it, or the events it was remembering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

RTE have an online programme guide - https://1916.rte.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Centenary-English6-1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

quader wrote: »
    what did people think of cu chulainn

I thought *WTF?*. And the U2 song got up my nose too.

Didn't mind One being a song of choice on the night. But I don't think CP's voice was up to it. I'm a fan of his, but he is 72 now & there are some notes that he just can't reach any more. Heard it on the wireless yesterday & when you take away the visuals, it didn't sound good.

Also hated, hated, hated You Raise Me Up. Godawful, middle of the road, cheesy, Celine Dion type schmaltz.

ProudDUB wrote:
    Didn't mind One being a song of choice on the night. But I don't think CP's voice was up to it. I'm a fan of his, but he is 72 now & there are some notes that he just can't reach any more. Heard it on the wireless yesterday & when you take away the visuals, it didn't sound good.

What note did he not reach? He absolutely nailed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Thought it was an excellent production overall but was marred by the speech at the end, You Raise me Up and One. As others have said CW's voice is gone (why wasn't Bono there??) I though the rebellion scenes and executions were superb.

A rising climactic finale should have finished it off.

Could be the new Riverdance on tour in the future.

Overall, Kudos to RTE - now why can't they do comedy as well as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sometimes I slate RTE over sub-standard programmes but this time their Centenary show has been excellent. Fair play to all concerned. I wonder if it's available on DVD?

scout353 wrote: »
    Thought it was an excellent production overall but was marred by the speech at the end, You Raise me Up and One. As others have said CW's voice is gone (why wasn't Bono there??) I though the rebellion scenes and executions were superb.

A rising climactic finale should have finished it off.

Could be the new Riverdance on tour in the future.

Overall, Kudos to RTE - now why can't they do comedy as well as that.

I was at the Centenary concert and I can assure you that Colm Wilkinson's voice is by no means "gone" - he was superb. I see that he has a six date tour coming up later this year so presumably enough people think he's still worth hearing.

What was the problem with "Your Raise me Up"? Has Celine Byrne's voice "gone" too?

I though Michael D's speech was a bit pompous and precious but that's his style.

You Raise Me Up, is a horrible, schmaltzy, middle of the road piece of pure cheese, that belongs more in a Celine Dion tribute show, than it does in a concert like Centenary. If people disagree, fine, but people are entitled to their opinions. I thought it was horribly out of place. Celine Byrne has an incredible voice and the song choice sold her talents very short. A piece of actual opera, would have been far more appropriate, both for the event and, for the type of singer that she is.

I was at CW's last concert series at the Bord Gais theatre. I think it was about 2 years ago. His voice is no where near as powerful as it used to be. He is over 70 now. How on earth could it be? That doesn't mean he doesn't still have something to offer on a show like Centenary, or that people won't still pay to see him perform.

ProudDUB wrote:
    You Raise Me Up, is a horrible, schmaltzy, middle of the road piece of pure cheese that belongs more in a Celine Dion tribute concert, than it does in a concert like Centenary. If people disagree, fine, but people are entitled to their opinions. I thought it was horribly out of place. Celine Byrne has an incredible voice and the song choice sold her talents very short. A piece of actual opera, would have been far more appropriate, both for the event and for the type of singer she is.

It wouldn't be my favourite piece either but I thought it fitted well enough with the mood - and it is written by an Irish songwriter. I can't see how a piece of opera would have been more appropriate.

ProudDUB wrote:
    I was at CW's last concert series at the Bord Gais theatre. I think it was about 2 years ago. His voice is no where near as powerful as it used to be. He is over 70 now. How on earth could it be? That doesn't mean he doesn't still have something to offer on a show like Centenary, or that people won't still pay to see him perform.

I've no doubt CW has lost some power but he has plenty left and he electrified the place with his performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You Raise Me Up, is a horrible, schmaltzy, middle of the road piece of pure cheese, that belongs more in a Celine Dion tribute show, than it does in a concert like Centenary..

All this, plus it's basically a re-write of Danny Boy.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote:
    All this, plus it's basically a re-write of Danny Boy.

Which is a lift of the Londonderry Air.

Danny Boy would have been far more appropriate. I tend to cringe whenever it gets trotted out. But like it or not, it has been a part of our culture (both here and overseas) for a very long time. You Raise Me Up is about as much a part of our culture & our past, as a BeeGee's song.

ProudDUB wrote:
    Danny Boy would have been far more appropriate. I tend to cringe whenever it gets trotted out. But like it or not, it has been a part of our culture (both here and overseas) for a very long time. You Raise Me Up is about as much a part of our culture & our past, as a BeeGee's song.

A song that has been covered well over a hundred times, had several million airplays and performed worldwide at everything from church ceremonies to the opening of major sporting events is entitled to some status in our "culture".

It may not be to your taste (or mine especially) but in the context of the event, it fitted right in.

First Up wrote: »
    A song that has been covered well over a hundred times, had several million airplays and performed worldwide at everything from church ceremonies to the opening of major sporting events is entitled to some status in our "culture".

It may not be to your taste (or mine especially) but in the context of the event, it fitted right in.

You can say that (the contents of your first paragraph) about pretty much every popular song on the planet, from Queen's 'We Will Rock You', to Boyzone's ballads, to Frank Sinatra's 'My Way'. Doesn't mean they have a shred of relevance to Ireland, the 1916 period, or a concert commemorating the Easter Rising, never mind being a half decent song.

ProudDUB wrote:
    You can say that (the contents of your first paragraph) about pretty much every popular song on the planet, from Queen's 'We Will Rock You', to Boyzone's ballads, to Frank Sinatra's 'My Way'. Doesn't mean they have a shred of relevance to Ireland, the 1916 period, or a concert commemorating the Easter Rising, never mind being a half decent song.

The number of songs recorded by over 100 artists is quite short actually, and the number written by someone Irish is shorter still.

You obviously have some problem with it but its inclusion in the Centenary concert was perfectly understandable and fitted well into the event.

I note you have made no criticism of the Seo Linn number that finished the show. Do I take it you thought that a better fit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement