Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours alarm going off for 3 days

Options
  • 28-03-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

I'm losing the head. I live in a terraced house, and the neighbours house alarm has been going off for 3 days.
    It's really loud in my house especially upstairs.
    It looks like she's gone away, and I'm hoping it's not all week.
    I was working at the weekend and already made several mistakes as I was so sleep depraved
    What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does it stop at all, or has it been going off for three days non-stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

It's the internal alarm and it's been going off non stop since Friday night

It's a terraced house, although all metres are read in the front gardens.
    Not sure about tampering with other people's property though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There is a battery backup in the alarm no idea how long it would last. Their freezer, fish tanks and the like don't though...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

A power cut once set off my house alarm so not sure that would help. Have you tried ringing the alarm company if the name is on the box attached to the front of the house? Or perhaps a neighbours has their contacts details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Op, you've got two options.

Ring the guards and play the 'concerned neighbour' card. Someone might have broken in or maybe she's on the floor in there after setting off the panic alarm feature (most alarms have them these days) You don't know what's going on in there so play it up. All you know it's been going off for days and she hasn't been seen. At the very best guards can get in contact with a relative or through her job and someone close to her could come out and switch it off.

or secondly, as others have said, if her esb box is handy to access... then flip the trip switch. Most alarms will then begin to beep using battery power. That beep isn't too loud so you shouldnt hear it in your house. Then about a minute later flip the trip switch back. So what ever she has in there (fridge) will be getting power to it. This will knock off some alarms and they will just continue to beep at a low level.
    Problem with this is that every alarm is different. You could trip the switch and for it to still be set off using battery power. But it's worth a shot as you won't be causing any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Do you know the neighbour's name? Could you track her down on Facebook and send her a message to let her know? Those cheap crappy alarms (usually not even monitored) just keep going until it's switched off - she might not even know it's ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just ring the guards... you never know; the house might actually have been burgled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

lawred2 wrote: »
    Just ring the guards... you never know; the house might actually have been burgled

The gardai won't actually do anything. I've been in this situation myself - we just had to try and contact the owner. We called the council too but they can't do anything to switch it off - they can complain to the resident alright presumably but they can't physically switch it off for you. You need to get in touch with the resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The council are impotent when it comes to noise issues and the Gardai for the most part wash their hands of it, who normally deals with noise complaints on the rest of the continent. Surely it should be a duty of the police force, albeit a low priority one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tinkerbell wrote: »
    The gardai won't actually do anything. I've been in this situation myself - we just had to try and contact the owner. We called the council too but they can't do anything to switch it off - they can complain to the resident alright presumably but they can't physically switch it off for you. You need to get in touch with the resident.

makes a joke of having expensive home alarm systems them

It finally went off Tuesday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

With or without the aid of a lump hammer?

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    It finally went off Tuesday night

Because that's when she finally got home right?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Ear plugs in future

Yea she must have got home as I noticed she's put the wheelie bin back in the communal parking to reserve her spot.
    I did decide to do a bit of hammering late last night, hopefully it woke her up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yea she must have got home as I noticed she's put the wheelie bin back in the communal parking to reserve her spot.

Is this a managed estate, with a management company involved? If so, you should complain about her alarm, and about her hogging of the communal parking (if it really is communal parking, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What are you, a child? Go and speak to your neighbour about her problematic alarm.

I'm a single woman.
    It's just a row of parking spaces outside the row of houses, and for round the back, no numbers allocated. she just reserves the one right outside her house with the wheelie bin

What are you, a child? Go and speak to your neighbour about her problematic alarm.

And for what reason tho?
    Lets be realistic here. For Snoopy1 to get a fake "sorry about that!" then the door closes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Op go and introduce yourself to the neighbour, ask her nicely did she know her alarm had activated?
    Then tell her that you had a look around, you could not see anything amiss and that you were thinking to yourself that even if something was that you had no way of contacting her anyway.
    The nice approach all works best as she did not set off her system on purpose.

If you two do chat, drop in that she should get her system serviced and get it to comply with EN50131, at least the system will stop activating after 15 mins as per that standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm a single woman.
    It's just a row of parking spaces outside the row of houses, and for round the back, no numbers allocated. she just reserves the one right outside her house with the wheelie bin

Is there a management company managing the estate? If so, you need to talk to them about parking. Or just move her wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

And for what reason tho?
    Lets be realistic here. For Snoopy1 to get a fake "sorry about that!" then the door closes?

Thats not being realistic at all,In my expereince most people are absolutly mortified that they upset their neighbour in that way and are extremly apologetic. Just assuming the neighbour is a sociopath who doesnt give a hoot about her relations with neighbours is a bizzare and misguided life view.

If OP says nothing, nothing will be done, this thread was pointless and theneighbour will be blissfully unaware that anything whatsoever happened and not know why her neighbour seems to hate her for some inexplicaable reason.

Thats not being realistic at all,In my expereince most people are absolutly mortified that they upset their neighbour in that way and are extremly apologetic. Just assuming the neighbour is a sociopath who doesnt give a hoot about her relations with neighbours is a bizzare and misguided life view.

If OP says nothing, nothing will be done, this thread was pointless and theneighbour will be blissfully unaware that anything whatsoever happened and not know why her neighbour seems to hate her for some inexplicaable reason.

You seem to be forgetting something.
    How come this woman didnt knock around to Snoopy1 today to ask how long the alarm was going for? Did she hear any noises before the alarm went off? etc. Perhaps then she would say sorry. But she didnt knock around did she? (Snoopy would have said)

No. According to Snoopy, she came in, Switched the alarm off and and put her wheelie bin out. So what is it? she is either too stupid to realise the alarm was potentially going off for days (which it was) or simply doesn't care.

But what would you do?
    You've come home after being away for a couple of days. Realise the alarm is going off so you switch it off as soon as you get in the door. Wouldnt you naturally think how long was this thing going off for? a few hours? a couple of days?... well to get your answer you'd ask the neighbour. But you can't say sorry to someone without actually talking to someone... and if you dont really give a toss you're not going to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. (Thank you Mr Hanlon).

Some people are just thick.

Go and visit the neighbour, and ask who to contact the next time her alarm goes off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Put the wheelie bin in front of her door. It's a hazard being left out. I know from experience that a wheelie bin can do a surprising amount of damage to a car if a gust catches it in windy weather.

Also, as other posters have said, go an talk to the neighbour. Explain the situation and ask for a contact number if it goes off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

If you're the type of person who hogs a communal parking spot with your wheelie bin, then you're self centred and ignorant enough not to even think about the affect your alarm might be having with your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

If you're the type of person who hogs a communal parking spot with your wheelie bin, then you're self centred and ignorant enough not to even think about the affect your alarm might be having with your neighbours.

The type of person who allows someone hog a communal space with a wheelie bin has something to answer for too here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The type of person who allows someone hog a communal space with a wheelie bin has something to answer for too here!

No not really. If you have to confront someone because they're being a d*** then they're being a d***. Not everyone feels comfortable doing that and they shouldn't have to.

This isn't a toddler or a dog. The 'but you're allowing them to do it' argument doesn't fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You seem to be forgetting something.
    How come this woman didnt knock around to Snoopy1 today to ask how long the alarm was going for? Did she hear any noises before the alarm went off? etc. Perhaps then she would say sorry. But she didnt knock around did she? (Snoopy would have said)

No. According to Snoopy, she came in, Switched the alarm off and and put her wheelie bin out. So what is it? she is either too stupid to realise the alarm was potentially going off for days (which it was) or simply doesn't care.

But what would you do?
    You've come home after being away for a couple of days. Realise the alarm is going off so you switch it off as soon as you get in the door. Wouldnt you naturally think how long was this thing going off for? a few hours? a couple of days?... well to get your answer you'd ask the neighbour. But you can't say sorry to someone without actually talking to someone... and if you dont really give a toss you're not going to ask.

yea, Mrs OBumble answers that one quite well.

bizzare and saddening way of looking at the world you seem to have there Mr Baracus

Advertisement