Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel bin collection and use recycling centre??

Options
  • 28-03-2016 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

HI all,
    Im wondering if anyone out there doesn't use a bin collection service and disposes (legally!) of their own waste? We live near a civic amenity centre for recycling and I think they also do pay by weight for domestic waste.
    I am thinking of getting rid of our bin collection as the pay by weight system coming in, I would imagine a few folks might try to sneak waste in your bin when its left out-
    Also we have to leave our bins out the front of our house and its only fortnightly collection in our area so in the summer the bins stink at the front door!
    For a few reasons we have been thinking of disposing/ recycling/composting our own waste and Im just wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience of this- is it manageable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Its fine to not have bins. There were talks of making it illegal not to but that had legal problems. The one off bags are banned from July 1st in case you might rely on them occasionally. I used to do as you said and I double bagged everything. Never really had any smells and it was all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TrayM wrote: »
    HI all,
    Im wondering if anyone out there doesn't use a bin collection service and disposes (legally!) of their own waste? We live near a civic amenity centre for recycling and I think they also do pay by weight for domestic waste.

This will vary from place to place so you need to check it out in advance when assessing if you can go your own way with no collection service. Paper, cans, most plastics and glass are easy to get rid of in urban areas these days but general refuse may involve you driving to the amenity centre and paying based on the class of vehicle (car/small van/big van .....) regardless of how much rubbish you have on board.

With good waste segregation, you may end up after 3 or 4 weeks with one bag of smelly waste that will cost you €20 or €30 to get rid of in your local amenity centre.

Ballyogan in South Dublin for example charges €30 for a car with general waste i.e. they don't weight what you bring, you just pay the standard charge for a car. Other places in Dublin are cheaper but I'd say very few of them have the facility to weigh your waste so it could be expensive to get rid of small amounts of general waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Years ago I used to avail of the local civic amenity to dispose of my waste and recyclables. It was certainly cheap at the time but there's no way I'd go back to that now- the problems of burst bags, flies, smells etc and the dreaded trip to the place every few weeks. The wheelie bin collection is not cheap but when you factor in convenience, saving of road fuel and most important of all- your time I don't think there's anything to be said for going the other route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

You could recycle yourself, compost what you can, and then change to a half size wheelie bin for the smelly stuff. That would at least reduce the refuse bill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭webpal

My bill jumped 33% this year so I said no way. I pass a recycling centre and 4 pac a sac skips on my way to work. Recycle is free and pac a sac is €7 a load which is about 2 weeks rubbish for me. Should have done it a long time ago. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

Household waste

Ballybough Recycling - €4.

Compost bin x 2. Once per annum dig compost into garden. On the go for 10 years.

Paper, plastic, bottles etc - bring center, Collins Ave free.

Advertisement