Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddlers 'art'

Options
  • 29-03-2016 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

My lad is 14 months and I really want to start doing 'arts and crafts' with him. Has anyone any ideas? Where/what are good supplies to get? Things to do with him?

I was having a look at ikea's stuff and it seems good, anyone used their art supplies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I looked at Ikea's stuff but I felt that crayons would be the best place to start and Ikea actually don't seem to have just basic crayons.So Crayola crayons and a big roll of Ikea paper was the way we went initially.I think she was about 16 mths when we started.Now (21 months) we do have some paint from Mothercare and a selection of colouring books with stickers too, mainly crayola.Tesco actually do good basic kids colouring books too, with simple drawings for little people.Some of the ones for sale in Easons etc can be too detailed for toddlers (not that the toddler notices!!!)
    I'd hold off on paints etc for now to be honest and just keep it simple.Oh the other good buy for us was an etch a sketch type board from Lidl.....you know the magnetic ones that you draw on and 'wipe clean'.She loves that.Smyths have them (but they're quite big) but Tesco also have smaller ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Dealz, tiger and Mr Price are good places. We usually get the paper in ikea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

paint, pipe cleaners, beads, glue, lollipop sticks,paper, glitter = deals/mr. price

pine cones, leaves, flowers, sticks, stones, shells = nature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I make paint by mixing flour and water into a paste and adding food colouring. Nice and safe if he eats it and it easily washes off surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Dealz is great for stuff and we also love the little mixed craft sets in tesco, they are 2 or 3 euro and come with themed stickers, pipe cleaners, fluffy poms etc. Beware, it will be messy! It is fun though and the kids love it, even when I get a bit carried away and give out to them for ruining my lovely under the sea montage :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FlowerPower1

This is a great age to start them. I started at this age with my daughter and she just loves art and crafts. I got a cheap oil cloth from Lidl, and would take her outside on warmer days and let her at it. Things like spaghetti art or making your own playdough. There is a sticky gloppy paste you can make yourself and it's really good for their fine motor skills. My local parent and child group had a facilitator in who made it. It was fantastic to see them get stuck in and messy. I love Instagram for ideas- Red Ted Art, Imagination Tree or Kristinatoddlerapptoved being particular favourites or just search tag- toddler art. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Squeeze-n-Brush-Washable-Paints/dp/B005SPZ2ZA

These are very very handy :) some days i just can't cope with huge huge messes and these are great for cleanish painting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This is wonderful, thanks everyone. Got the paper as well as paint and brushes (for later) in ikea coz I don't go up there often. Trip to tesco as part of the shopping is next up!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Tried to make my own play doh last week, it was a disaster.. any a simple recipe for it, a no bake one of possible or is the baked one better :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

amor3 wrote: »
    Tried to make my own play doh last week, it was a disaster.. any a simple recipe for it, a no bake one of possible or is the baked one better :-/

Cornflour and hair conditioner works. Add food colouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pwurple wrote: »
    Cornflour and hair conditioner works. Add food colouring.

I wouldn't give that to a toddler, it isn't edible. Our minder makes a flour and water mixture for play dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

lazygal wrote: »
    I wouldn't give that to a toddler, it isn't edible. Our minder makes a flour and water mixture for play dough.

Yeah that's the mixture I used but was just to wet and sticky, I did add more flour but it wasn't soft enough like a playdoh texture.. oh and I put the colouring in at the end, which I now know is notb the way to go :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm always tempted to buy playdoh and then i think about the mess she can make with a box of crayons, or stickers (and paint!!!!).....and I tell myself....I'll hold off on the playdoh til she's bigger, she's got plenty to be going on with!!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Have a look on Pinterest too, there are lots of crafty ideas for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Lining paper used for wallpapering is cheap and easily available and it's pretty much the same as the rolls of paper in IKEA.

I would unroll the paper, the child to lie down on it, draw around the child ( a bit wriggly) and get them to colour in, paint, scribble, etc. the outline. Ta dah! a full length portrait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Once junior Dali has made the art and you don't want to keep it permanently, take a photo of the art as a record instead before recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

dealz have 4 pots for play dough for €1.49 (not play doh brand!). They also have 2 pots and cutters for €1.49.

I have used it and it's perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Mirrorwall I picked up one of these today in Smyths.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/creativity-music-partyware/c-534/crafts/p-1960/jumbo-craft-set/

Some smaller beady bits are unsuitable for smallies but there are lots of good bits and it's brilliant for the screw topped box alone :D

Advertisement