Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Video

Options
  • 29-03-2016 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

So I'm a semi pro photographer (You'll find me in the photography forum a lot) but decided to get out my comfort zone and put a quick 15 second video together today (primarily for instagram) would love to know what people think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKocK6yFPDk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It looks grand, the only thing I could spot is there's some shaky video. Looks like zoomed in on shop fronts. It's very hard to avoid shaking when zoomed.

I don't know what video editor you're using but it is possible to take that shake out with the likes of after effects. A shot like that may work just as well using a static photo and just panning across, or zooming in to make it look like video camera movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

ScumLord wrote: »
    It looks grand, the only thing I could spot is there's some shaky video. Looks like zoomed in on shop fronts. It's very hard to avoid shaking when zoomed.

I don't know what video editor you're using but it is possible to take that shake out with the likes of after effects. A shot like that may work just as well using a static photo and just panning across, or zooming in to make it look like video camera movement.

Thanks for the feedback. It actually wasn't zoomed in but was as a result of using a 50mm 1.4 on a crop sensor DSLR, some new gear coming soon though so hopefully things will improve. I'm using Final Cut Pro and will use the stabilisation option going forward.

Took the plunge and produced my second Video over the weekend. If you like where the content is going, may become more 'vloggy' sure click subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You seem to be going for a trendy city life style. It's the kind of video a trendy restaurant would love to have. The only thing I'd say about the second one is some shots linger a bit, when I see these videos done they usually move along a shift pace. They only want to give the gist of what's happening.

You could maybe show more of the background city, other than the opening shot we don't see much other than a restaurant setting. The video would also benefit from some sort of stylised transitions. I'm not really able to describe what I'm talking about (this is just my lay opinion), but you're going from shot to shot, if there was some stylised transitions based on graphics or background shots with moving lights (those kind of soft focus shots of moving city lights) I think it would bump it up another level.

But the video and editing is good, it could do with more polish which comes down to adding something other than video to the production.

And now for something completely different and very short.

• Advertisement

Back to the 'trendy city lifestyle' that ScumLord mentioned, hopefully an improvement on the last one

Short Video shot for Instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What did you shoot the birthday on?

ED E wrote: »
    What did you shoot the birthday on?
    Everything in this thread was shot on Canon 600D with a 50mm 1.4 lens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement