Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Bulb, 06 Megane [Dublin garage needed]

• 29-03-2016 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Changing the bulb in headlight for a 2006 Renault Megane is a big job, one that I wouldn't be able for myself.

Can anyone recommend a place in the Dublin area that would do this for a reasonable price?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

It's not a big job. It's quite possible to do it yourself.
    I did it loads of times ( and afterwards swore never to buy a Renault again).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers for reply!

I recently saw a video on YouTube comparing changing a bulb on a megane to the same job on a golf....it really threw me off attempting it myself. As I'm not great with cars anyway, it seems like a job for someone who knows what they're doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a DIY effort, moved out from DIY forum.

Any advice on this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

chases0102 wrote: »
    Any advice on this one?

Halfords.

• Advertisement

Don't they tend to charge an arm and a leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Diy job,
    http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/changingmeganebulb.php

Not even convinced you need remove the wheel, same system as my rover, I just need to hard lock the steering to get access through the wheelarch, just note where the bulb sits and orientation of any locating lugs.

Cheers Wonski, will give them a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I have done this a few times.
    Don't take the wheel off - just lock it over.

It's tricky, but doable.
    You need to pinch a wire guard to lever it over the fitting to release the bulb and connector.
    Note how it comes out so you can orient the new bulb the right way (you can't see what you are doing).

Got rid of the megane and swore never to buy Renault again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hakfords would probably charge less than a garage. I don't know if they have a list of cars they won't do,
    I remember reading someone on here had a Volvo that was a pain to do, halfords insisted they could do it. Took them an hour or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Were are you based?
    Had a megane and always got my local independent to do them. Pain to do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Advance Pitstop or Fast Fit/First Stop should be able to do it as well. They've the added advantage of the ramps if it's easier to get under the car to do it, or they can pretty easily take the wheel off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I have a 05 Megane and have never changed a bulb via the panel in the wheel arch. For the drivers side, you move the windscreen washer filler cap out of the way and it will give you enough access.
    It is very fiddly alright but manageable. Make sure you unplug the wiring to the bulb before unfastening the metal clip.
    Put the bulb in place and refasten metal clip then plug wiring back in.
    On passenger side, you'll have to remove the battery cover to get at it.
    Complete pain in the backside but I can do them in under 5 minutes at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

R.O.R wrote: »
    Advance Pitstop or Fast Fit/First Stop should be able to do it as well. They've the added advantage of the ramps if it's easier to get under the car to do it, or they can pretty easily take the wheel off.

I'd go to fastfit or diy it before going to halfords. Cheaper and probably a better standard of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I changed the 2 front dipped headlight bulbs last month in our 06 Megane we have. I done it without removing the wheels, but I did remove the battery which gave me better access. Definitely took 2 hours, alot of cursing, scrapes and cuts on my hands. You cannot see what you are doing either.

I need to go through the wheel arch and under the bonnet on both sides to get at it.

I changed the bulb yesterday in our Nissan Qashqui in literally 1 minute.

Advertisement