Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Envy

Options
  • 29-03-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I know there is currently a thread here in regards to bike people find quite alluring : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138864&page=563

i spend a lot of time viewing that thread, but just wondering how many times do folk get the bike envy when out and about.

i have seen the same beaut of a Bianchi twice in the last few days in Donabate, have not been able to catch the guy to ask him about it :-). Not sure of the model, but it has a matt Black finish and it looks unreal.

I get a lot of bike envy, some serious machines out there now, especially around North county Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Theres a young lad who I meet on a regular basis on an S3 with deep section FFWD wheels and it looks stunning, he keeps it gleaming and it just looks so good and fast even when he's just tipping along at average pace. I want one so badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Slightly off topic, but if money was not an issue, what would your dream bike be? Off the shelf model or bespoke build? ( just curious what other people look for in a bike)

Me? Has to be a Pinarello Dogma with Campag EPS... Not sure what wheels though... Probably a different set for each day of the week! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

07Lapierre wrote: »

Me? Has to be a Pinarello Dogma with Campag EPS... Not sure what wheels though... Probably a different set for each day of the week! :)

People are so different. I'd be going for full dura Di2 ace throughout and match C50 wheels.

Or a top of the line canyon with same spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Be careful what you envy! I got to buy a 'dream' bike last year (Focus Team Izalco SL, got it in Tenerife for 50% list :) ) but the problem is I now have almost no eye candy to drool over anymore :(
    I don't get the same fun in shops anymore :(

Though I do appreciate it's not a bad problem to have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Don't worry. Just give it time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Deagol wrote: »
    Be careful what you envy! I got to buy a 'dream' bike last year (Focus Team Izalco SL, got it in Tenerife for 50% list :) ) but the problem is I now have almost no eye candy to drool over anymore :(
    I don't get the same fun in shops anymore :(

Though I do appreciate it's not a bad problem to have :)

Last Years Model eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I'm a fecker for checking out peoples bikes when I'm driving. It's gotten to the point that my wife won't let me drive if we happen to be heading out towards Howth on a Saturday or Sunday. Can't say I blame her!

As for my dream bike. It would be a made-to-measure steely with Campag Chorus (EPS maybe) and some nice classic looking hand built wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Slightly off topic, but if money was not an issue, what would your dream bike be? Off the shelf model or bespoke build? ( just curious what other people look for in a bike)

I'd have an S3, just love the look of them. I know someone who bought one as his mid'life crisis bike and is selling it now as its too uncomfortable for sportive/leisure use. If i were to ever buy one it'd be an N+1 bike and I'd keep my current 'good' bike and my winter bike and have the S3 for shorter training spins and possibly shorter sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

The 2016 Bianchi Oltre XR2. Matt Black ideally but I could live with the Matt Graphite. With Ultegra Di2 it's roughly €7,000. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

'68 wrote:
    Don't worry. Just give it time!

I reserve most of my drool for the '69 Fastback Boss.

• Advertisement

I'd settle for Steve McQueen's in Bullit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

There's some beautiful off-the-shelf bikes (And framesets!) out there, but I'd love a titanium (Or very light steel) 650b rando build.

Not a million miles from this:

firefly-bicycles-fnl-204-1.jpg

...But with a horizontal TT, paint and less garish bits and pieces. I saw a Seven Cycles one flying through DC before, but I was on a Capital bike and carrying crap up front, and he was sailing into the distance by the time I came round and wanted to ask questions. Like this but with 45mm tyres and a light blue colour scheme running through most of the bike apart from the lugs/features which were still definitely Ti...

expat-sl.jpg

Some day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Last Years Model eh? :P

Actually 2013 model :) When you're getting a 7k bike for 3.5k you have to expect some limitations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nicest bike I ever saw (aside from the Giro in Belfast) was a fully spec'd Ridley Noah, Bora Ultra wheels and Campagnolo Record groupset. The gentleman riding it was fully cross-chaining and couldn't ride in anything like a straight line. I was quite jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'd have an S3, just love the look of them. I know someone who bought one as his mid'life crisis bike and is selling it now as its too uncomfortable for sportive/leisure use. If i were to ever buy one it'd be an N+1 bike and I'd keep my current 'good' bike and my winter bike and have the S3 for shorter training spins and possibly shorter sportives.
    The S3 must have been a bad fit for him, I find it very comfortable on long rides.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

godtabh wrote: »
    People are so different. I'd be going for full dura Di2 ace throughout and match C50 wheels.

Or a top of the line canyon with same spec.

A Canyon dream bike? You're dreaming too German.

Mine is a Cippolini RB1000, Dura Ace Di2 and some lightweight wheels that I can't quite spell.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

daragh_ wrote: »
    The 2016 Bianchi Oltre XR2. Matt Black ideally but I could live with the Matt Graphite. With Ultegra Di2 it's roughly €7,000. Bargain.

I'd go Bianchi, but more old skool, something like this:

http://www.steel-vintage.com/bianchi-centenario-1985-detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I admire lots of bikes I see but I think genuine envy is sad when it comes to anything of a material nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

terrydel wrote: »
    I admire lots of bikes I see but I think genuine envy is sad when it comes to anything of a material nature.

You say that, like it's a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

Colnago C60 Italia in black, would probably never bring it outdoors though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Brian? wrote: »
    A Canyon dream bike? You're dreaming too German.

Mine is a Cippolini RB1000, Dura Ace Di2 and some lightweight wheels that I can't quite spell.

Yeah a Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 9.0 LTD would float my boat.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'd go Bianchi, but more old skool, something like this:

http://www.steel-vintage.com/bianchi-centenario-1985-detail

Sweeeeeeet

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

godtabh wrote: »
    Yeah a Canyon AEROAD CF SLX 9.0 LTD would float my boat.

Is there enough room on the frame for the name? Twould have to be fairly small font!

outfox wrote: »
    Is there enough room on the frame for the name? Twould have to be fairly small font!

I'd go for the large

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....i have seen the same beaut of a Bianchi twice in the last few days in Donabate, have not been able to catch the guy to ask him about it :-). Not sure of the model, but it has a matt Black finish and it looks unreal.....
    Is he by any chance an older gentleman? I'm in Donabate regularly and haven't seen it (yet!) but I suspect I may know who may own it.

Speaking of bike envy, I find myself drooling over some of the fantastic steel/titanium framed stuff regularly seen on audax rides. Nameless Phil's bike comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

My dream bike would be a Colnago Master, but it would only be for bling-it would have full Campy and Campy rims/hubs. I love Italian bikes and have always craved one, I am after picking up a De Rosa Superking with Dura Ace 9000 that will be arriving in the next week-can't ay I'll be drooling over other bikes.
    I'm selling on my Tarmac Pro, which was a dream bike for me and stayed that way for about 4 years…...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Is he by any chance an older gentleman? I'm in Donabate regularly and haven't seen it (yet!) but I suspect I may know who may own it.

Speaking of bike envy, I find myself drooling over some of the fantastic steel/titanium framed stuff regularly seen on audax rides. Nameless Phil's bike comes to mind.

Wishbone Ash, it is an older gentleman. Was out walking the child and i spotted him heading over the bridge at the station. Must be absolutely brand new or he keeps it in immaculate condition, even the sound of chain whirring round was glorious :)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2330/5761905250_ec31e2faf1_b.jpg

Had one of these as a younger man and spent my halcyon days ripping around Three Rock in the sun. It broke and Raleigh replaced it with a far lesser machine.

It's torturous to dream about a bike you can't afford but heartbreaking to dream about a bike that no longer exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

If Money was no issue id have to go for a

Look 695 like this ....

http://cyclingtips.com/2013/08/bikes-of-the-bunch-look-695/

saw one propped up against a car at the Lucan GP and its as sweet in the flesh.

• Advertisement

'68 wrote:
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2330/5761905250_ec31e2faf1_b.jpg

Had one of these as a younger man and spent my halcyon days ripping around Three Rock in the sun. It broke and Raleigh replaced it with a far lesser machine.

It's torturous to dream about a bike you can't afford but heartbreaking to dream about a bike that no longer exists!

Give up dreaming. Buy a Cargo Bike ;)

Advertisement