Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice do i need to give?

Options
  • 29-03-2016 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭

I've always assumed and have been told by colleagues that I needed to give 2 weeks notice but now I'm in a position to give mine I see my contract states "must provide notice in accordance with the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act, 1973 in writing of their intention to terminate the contract of employment". I'm less than two years in the job (19months). The act seems to state 1 week but only mentions employer giving notice to the employee, can someone clear this up please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you only have to give one week if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

For an employee giving notice to their employer, the statutory minimum notice is one week, unless the contract or terms of employments states longer. So legally you're only required to give them one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I had almost the same situation, I was only in the job 8 months, I could only give a weeks notice due to starting a new job, I checked my contract then rang the boss, he said "you know you have a notice period" I said yeah it's a week, he said "you have to give 2 weeks notice" i said it says in my contract I have to give the minimum notice and I'm only working here 8 months,
    Then a big pause, then he said "so you are finished next Friday"

Apparently he tries that with everyone to get an extra weeks work out of them!

I would recommend giving more notice if you can, and if you need a reference in future it would help, my previous job I gave 6 weeks notice,

Advertisement