Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehome guinea pig or let her live alone?

• 29-03-2016 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

So, Gloria, one of our guinea pigs died today. She was the 3rd one to go from our herd of 4 leaving just 1 piggy behind. Fluffers, the pig left, is only about 3-4 so still has a good few years left in her fingers crossed.

But we are a bit unsure what to do for the best. I know pigs aren't supposed to live alone, but we're not really in a position to get another one at the moment and to be honest we don't want to continue the cycle of getting a new one every time one dies.

So we either keep her as a single, or rehome her with someone looking to add a piggy.

We don't want to rehome her, but I already feel awful thinking about how she will never get to sit and groom/be groomed by a piggy friend! No more sleeping together, snuggling each other. She's just alone :( We've always had them in the busiest room and we have other animals in the same room so there's always plenty going on, but it's not the same.

What's your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If you can rehome, do rehome. In the meantime, try to provide snuggle time yourself. She's been with you long enough to understand and appreciate that if she's the type to accept it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

It is not the end of the world to leave her alone if she gets plenty of attention. We have a male who lives alone as often males do not tolerate other males unless raised ftom a very young age & even then fighting can occur. Neutering is high risk for piggies. He is very happy.

The other option is to go onto the Irish Rabbit & Guinea Pig Facebook page & look for someone in a similar predicament. You could also try to rehome an older Piggie as company for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

someone on here is looking for a long term home/rehome their G.Pigs -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057576486

maybe you two could get together - you take their pigs, then rehome your pig to them when they return?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

I have messaged you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately we aren't in a position to take on another pig, we especially wouldn't have the room for another 2.

I think we are going to see how she does for a few weeks, then make a decision.

I feel like I know deep down that even if she was contented alone, she would be happier with other pigs, I'm just not ready to actually let her go yet.

• Advertisement

Keep us posted, its a really tough decision. Why would you need another 2 rather than just another single pig?

Hopefully she'll be ok on her own if not you know where I am.

Also there is a great guinea pig facebook page for help and advice called the irish guinea pig and rabbit group, I can't post a link but you should check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

mozzy wrote: »
    Keep us posted, its a really tough decision. Why would you need another 2 rather than just another single pig?

Hopefully she'll be ok on her own if not you know where I am.

I meant that in reply to the suggestion I get in touch with the other person on here that's looking for someone to foster her 2 pig for a few months.

Thanks Mozzy, really appreciate it. At the minute when I think about either scenario I feel guilty :( At least until we make a decision I can make sure she's as happy as possible, lots of floor time and cuddles :)

Advertisement