Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest city centre all day parking

• 29-03-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've started work on Oliver Plunkett St. and am currently parking in the train station for €8 a day with the parkbytext app. Is there anywhere closer/cheaper or both within walking distance to OP St? I'm travelling from East Cork so somewhere easily accessible on my way into the city ideally.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Free parking in Ballyphehane just outside the disc parking area. Around 15 minutes walk to the city centre. Or as you're coming from East Cork why not get the train? Free parking in the train stations and get a Cork bikes subscription - would have you to OP St in 5 mins from Kent. That's what I do. So handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Giants

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Free parking in Ballyphehane just outside the disc parking area. Around 15 minutes walk to the city centre. Or as you're coming from East Cork why not get the train? Free parking in the train stations and get a Cork bikes subscription - would have you to OP St in 5 mins from Kent. That's what I do. So handy.

Thanks for that. I've been looking at the train/bike option too and could be a runner. Need to figure out the costs for return train and then compare to parking in the city as I won't be office based every day.

Giants wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've been looking at the train/bike option too and could be a runner. Need to figure out the costs for return train and then compare to parking in the city as I won't be office based every day.

If your employer partakes, you can get tax breaks on your annual train ticket. Makes it even more affordable - around €2 per working day return.

If you really want to park in the city centre the cheapest option is to rent a space. Not sure of the price but a few of my colleagues in work pay around €100 per month or so. The closer to the city centre the dearer it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Not exactly the city centre. The cheapest would be the Park and Ride which is €5 and brings you to Connolly Hall on Lapp's Quay which is handy for Oliver Plunkett Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Park and ride is your best option

• Advertisement

Park and ride is your best option

Another option. Though it means dealing with the tunnel and depending what time OP starts / finishes that can be a nightmare.

Is this the park and ride near the Kinsale roundabout? If so I've already discounted it as too far out of my way and involves negotiating the tunnel and Dunkettle twice daily. If not can you link me to a location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Giants wrote: »
    Is this the park and ride near the Kinsale roundabout? If so I've already discounted it as too far out of my way and involves negotiating the tunnel and Dunkettle twice daily. If not can you link me to a location?
    What time u start/finish work it might not be too bad

Pretty sure this place lets you park for a fiver/day

Petrol station or out the back somewhere?
    What time u start/finish work it might not be too bad

Thanks for all replies. Having crunched the numbers last night the train from Midleton with a taxsaver ticket is the cheapest and best option for the days when I don't need the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

They have a yard out the back, you can see it on Google maps there. 10 mins to Oliver plunkett street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OneOfTheseDays

Hi folks, just a very quick question (don't see the necessity to start a new thread). I've to go to Cork tomorrow at short notice. From what I can gather online the easiest and cheapest place to park would be Kent Station? Just wondering if getting a spot can be difficult as I was going to pay for it in advance, aiming to arrive in Cork around 11-1130. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Frasier

Hi

You should be okay but I wouldn't go to the one by the station - fills up fast - use the overflow. Do you know where that is? (You turn off before the entrance to the station)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OneOfTheseDays

Frasier wrote: »
    Hi

You should be okay but I wouldn't go to the one by the station - fills up fast - use the overflow. Do you know where that is? (You turn off before the entrance to the station)

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know it no, just having a look at google maps. Is it the right turn from the Glanmire Rd onto Railway St that you take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know it no, just having a look at google maps. Is it the right turn from the Glanmire Rd onto Railway St that you take?

Yes, that's it or you can access from Horgan's Quay /Penrose Quay if you're coming from tunnel direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

We got a leaflet in the post today for Parking People for Centre Park Road €59 plus vat for a month

Advertisement