Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor quality of rental properties in Ireland..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Speedwell wrote: »
    Yeah, all tenants are completely spoiled for choice. "The market" solves everything. (yawn)

Nope, the opposite, it's extremely difficult for tenants out there, so why do some expect LL's to invest money into property like it's some god given right for renters to have an IKEA Yin Yang coffee table.

The market is heavily against renters right now, which is a bad thing I agree, but expect slim pickings and minimum standards while it is.

If one day the market swings the other way, don't be surprised for LL's to invest more in their property to get higher rent or compete with the other LL's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yes fair enough, but again you are shown the property before deciding if it’s worth the cost. Furniture does not actually be supplied. It's down to the LL to chose too.
    The first sentence does nothing to counter what you reply to. In a 'sellers' market, the 'buyer' (renter in this case) does not have a real choice.
    Actually I’d say a lot of landlord profit margins are small, and even if they’re not, it’s their right. Why spend massive amounts on expensive furniture for a stranger to use. You’re paying for accommodation, you don’t like the coffee table, by your own.
    Yea I don't buy the idea that landlord profit margins are small, given the massive rent increases over the last number of years.

Nobody has any justification for passing on the costs of cleaning up a place, onto others - it's the landlords responsibility to provide a clean place, when renting out a place to someone - it's not any landlords right, to externalize costs onto other people.

This needs to be properly regulated, and landlords renting out dumps, fined.
    This is just ranting. The tenant has to clean the place as they live there, and the last tenant should have cleaned the place before that.
    Nonsense - a new tenant should not have to clean up after an old tenant who wrecked the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Nope, the opposite, it's extremely difficult for tenants out there, so why do some expect LL's to invest money into property like it's some god given right for renters to have an IKEA Yin Yang coffee table.

The market is heavily against renters right now, which is a bad thing I agree, but expect slim pickings and minimum standards while it is.

If one day the market swings the other way, don't be surprised for LL's to invest more in their property to get higher rent or compete with the other LL's.

That post was ironic...

That it is a 'sellers' market, is no excuse for accepting low standards - standards can be enforced in such conditions, through regulation instead - landlords do not have to supply furnishing, but those that do charge a higher rent for it.

There should be minimum standards (enforced through regulation) on:
    1: The cleanliness of rentals prior to them being rented out, and
    2: If the landlord chooses to supply furnishing, either that the furnishing is in a decent state, or that the landlord will remove the furnishing.

Very easy to have regulation in place for this, and to have a system in place for reporting landlords who breach these conditions (which should be incredibly easy to enforce too - people viewing rentals, can report the landlord/rental, and someone in the relevant council authority can then apply to view as a potential tenant - soon enough, this problem would disappear as landlords learn they get directly fined for poor standards).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Regulation and procedures are fine and dandy, but none of it works if you don't have a functional market. Until that happens its all give and no take.

PRTB/Recourse issues need fixing, but they're small small fry compared to the supply issue.

• Advertisement

Agreed that they're small fry, but it's possible to make efforts to resolve more than one thing at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Compared to Germany (where I have direct experience) tenants in Ireland tend to:

1. Leave the place in a mess when they leave;
    2. Use their security deposit as their last months rent;
    3. Not care if they are frequently late with the rent;
    4. Walk out on leases.

I had one tenant skip out owing 2 k in back rent and leaving 2 k in damages.
    Landlords have no rights in Ireland.

The government takes 55% of your rental income - where is the incentive for a landlord to renovate?

If it is that bad, why are people landlords? Why would anyone invest in property? Seems like a foolish investment to me.

My problem is the self entitlement in this thread. LL's do not have to supply furniture. Any they do at least gives you a choice.

Self entitlement? If you're shelling out thousands every year you are entitled to a certain standard. Where I live now, I am not even getting the legal minimum standards but I feel I am entitled to that. A landlord is running a business, but it is an odd business because very few seem to care about the quality of product they are offering.

The furniture thing bugs me. I would love to buy a few pieces but in my experience landlords are reluctant to do this. I reckon the bed we were given is about ten years old, but we don't have the option of replacing it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've been priced out of Dublin and even rents outside are increasing way too fast.

Such sheds some or most places I have seen.

Where we are now was built in 80s and honestly the only thing changed is crap carpets windows 20 years old and original kitchen.

Really makes you want to buy your own but then remember oh all the money is going on the rent so even saving is near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kneesox

I have asked landlords many times to remove their crappy furnitures and they usually said no. One said ok so I spend about 2k of my own money in Ikea to get decent matress and bed.
    This isn't something you want to do really if you sign lease for only a year.
    Every house is different and not all furnitures fit every house plus its a big trouble when you are moving a lot.
    Even in house I live in at the moment which is quite decent because we somehow got lucky, but it have super worn dirty sofa, we asked for it to be removed and they didn't agree.
    Had to spend money again to put nice throw/cushions on it.

The fact situation is bad is not a matter of discussion -its simply a fact.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Self entitlement? If you're shelling out thousands every year you are entitled to a certain standard. Where I live now, I am not even getting the legal minimum standards but I feel I am entitled to that. A landlord is running a business, but it is an odd business because very seem to care about the quality of product they are offering.

The furniture thing bugs me. I would love to buy a few pieces but in my experience landlords are reluctant to do this. I reckon the bed we were given is about ten years old, but we don't have the option of replacing it ourselves.

Sorry, I don't understand this. You are entitled to minimum standards. Furniture is not one of them. I'm not disagreeing that some regulation regarding standards of furniture if supplied would be a good idea. But very hard to implement what could be a very subjective thing.

If where you live now, you are not getting the legal minimum standard, then you need to lodge a complaint with the PRTB. Why are you accepting your LL breaking the rules yet complain on here that LL's get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is one still supposed to feel blessed when your landlord has a place filled up with fleabitten ****e and refuses to let one replace it?

Is that still generosity or how is one meant to feel about it, because you could imagine how it might feel like renting a gaff that's also being used as a storage shed?

Poor quality furniture is not the issue. Its all from floors (dirty old carpets) windows, showers, tiles in bathrooms, fitted furnitures and appliances in kitchens, poor BER -in the end you spend hundreds on bills because it takes so much gas/oil/electricity to heat damn place.

Sorry, I don't understand this. You are entitled to minimum standards. Furniture is not one of them. I'm not disagreeing that some regulation regarding standards of furniture if supplied would be a good idea. But very hard to implement what could be a very subjective thing.

If where you live now, you are not getting the legal minimum standard, then you need to lodge a complaint with the PRTB. Why are you accepting your LL breaking the rules yet complain on here that LL's get away with it?

Because I would be out on the street tomorrow if I reported the landlord, he wouldn't be allowed to rent it in its current condition. Plus the standards of accommodation is below par across the city, I am hardly likely to get anything better.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/rental-accommodation-failing-to-meet-minimum-standards-in-dublin-1.2557285

Landlords know they can get away with this because tenants like myself have no other choice. And so many landlords are unaware of their obligations. Sure only recently my own landlord was demanding €100 to replace a shared washing machine, he only backed down, when another tenant threatened to report him to Revenue.

Was going to paste example from daft here, but wouldn't allow me.
    Maybe have a look yourselfs at daft -house -Swilly road, Cabra, Dublin 7, 1500€!
    FFS, those armchairs! boiler behind TV in sitting room! shower together with a toilet! CRINGE

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

kneesox wrote: »
    Maybe have a look yourselfs at daft -house -Swilly road, Cabra, Dublin 7, 1500€!
    FFS, those armchairs! boiler behind TV in sitting room! shower together with a toilet! CRINGE

Here it is:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/cabra/swilly-road-cabra-dublin-1634796/#img=9

Once again a show of unbridled generosity from the landlord, including an extra ratty mattress shoved up agin a wall for free!

Minimum standards eat your heart out.

Thank You! Disgrace for 1500€ isn't it!

What's wrong with a shower in the same room as a toilet? sorry but I think your expectations are way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

This is a subject that is highly emotional for both tenants and landlords. I lived in UK and rented there a few years ago. There was a very good reporting and repair system and it seemed to be highly regulated.
    To be fair to landlords some tenants will leave the place in very bad condition both repair and cleaning wise. Although our current rental was clean we still found areas that were missed i.e. those difficult to get at areas behind the toilet and over the cooker. Landlords need protection in this regard and it should be allowable to get an attachment to social welfare in some instances and a charge of some sort on non SW tenants. Letting agents here also seem to be poor in that houses are not fully checked out before letting i.e. electrical testing of sockets and circuits which is not rocket science. Again UK experience was very positive for us. Finally tenants need more protection, with spot checks carried out even at letting stage which would require a well resourced PRTB. Posters here complain about little profit left after paying the mortgage and tax. They are not mentioning that they have a long term asset, albeit still under investment. Will those things happen? Never - unless the foreign investors start to complain and then Gov. will sit up. Maybe a lot of politicans have a vested interest as they are landlords.
    Perhaps my UK/Scotland experience was an exception.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's wrong with the armchairs and the bathroom?

• Advertisement

What's wrong with a shower in the same room as a toilet? sorry but I think your expectations are way off.

Ok sorry, but I think you have been living in a woods or haven't seen the world if you think there is nothing wrong with that. Not trying to insult anyone but this house was ok maybe 20 year ago or 30!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok sorry, but I think you have been living in a woods or haven't seen the world if you think there is nothing wrong with that. Not trying to insult anyone but this house was ok maybe 20 year ago or 30!

Do you think that toilets should be in a seperate room from a bath/shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

That house on Daft is in better shape than the place I wound up renting (that boiler, though, lol). The furniture in the sitting room is better (if clean). I'd insist on removing the beds anyway, but those beds are poor indeed. I don't know what is wrong with a toilet next to the tub/shower, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

There are some decent places left to rent, but be prepared to pay for the privilege....

http://www.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/airpark-close-stocking-lane-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3548659

Ok so, if it was done nicely and was newer there maybe would be nothing wrong with toilet being close to bath.. and house you posted above should be just average minimum standard, nothing luxurious about it, 2000€ is ridiculous price for it

Ok so, if it was done nicely and was newer there maybe would be nothing wrong with toilet being close to bath.. and house you posted above should be just average minimum standard, nothing luxurious about it, 2000€ is ridiculous price for it

I live in a house that is ten years old with three bathrooms.

ALl have the bath/shower in the same room as the toilet.

The worst thing about the house you referenced are the beds to me, the rest of the furniture looks fine.

Really? I have seen very few properties than don't have a shower in the same room as a toilet. I'm not sure what palace you grew up in but if this is the level of your expectations you are not going to be satisfied with anything.

'I cannot beleive the shower is in the same room as the toilet'
    Ha ha!

Stheno wrote: »
    I live in a house that is ten years old with three bathrooms.

ALl have the bath/shower in the same room as the toilet.

The worst thing about the house you referenced are the beds to me, the rest of the furniture looks fine.

Well ,that's according to your standards of living. According to mine, house is a manky old fashioned ugly disgrace, like 90% whats on the market

Well ,that's according to your standards of living. According to mine, house is a manky old fashioned ugly disgrace, like 90% whats on the market

But you seem to require a seperate toilet and seperate shower room which is pretty rare tbh

• Advertisement

I completely agree accommodation should be kept to reasonable standards and LL's should be held accountable. The problem is what are reasonable expectations and I'm sorry OP but your expectations are not reasonable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement