Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay out of my 'COD:Space'

Options
  • 29-03-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Strong rumours emerging today of the next Call of Duty being set in space, or (as the article states) having a 'full-on sci-fi' direction and set in 'the very far future'.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-2016-set-in-space-reports/1100-6436075/

Its Infinity Ward's year, the same studio responsible for the excellent Modern Warfare and MW2 games, so clearly something has gone awry at the studio.
    In 2013, former Infinity Ward producer Mark Rubin said a Call of Duty game set in space "makes sense." But at the same time, he said there would be a number of gameplay and systems challenges to overcome.

"Grenades wouldn't work exactly right," he said. "Kill Streaks wouldn't work at all--can't have a helicopter in outer space. Or a dog for that matter.

Very reassuring when the producer has to let all those concerned know that you can't have dogs as killstreak awards in space. However, I have been talking with my brother about it and we reckon the following announcement will be made at E3:

"Recent research (quote spurious Science Journal) has shown that dogs, with good training and adaptation, would excel in a space environment. Much like swimming, space would cater for a dog's natural inclination to move in space just like in water. As such, we are pleased to announce with our partners at Microsoft and powered by the Microsoft Cloud: Space Dog AI. This new and revolutionary feature will fundamentally change how you go above and beyond the call of duty in new dimensions."

So, what do you all think? Call of Duty in space! Some title suggestions:

Call of Duty: Space Warfare.
    Call of Duty: Man on the Moon - REM Edition with bonus soundtrack.
    Space: Duty Calls.
    Call of Duty: Future Warfare - What a time to be alive.
    Call of Duty: The Fifth Dimension - All Space Dogs go to Heaven Edition.
    Call of Duty: We're running out of titles, just buy it anyway, kk?
    Call of Duty: Space Dog Troopers.

Personally, I think its a joke a this stage. Go back and make a proper WW2 shooter with a new engine (the current one is terrible on PC) and give us a decent campaign that sheds new light on a real conflict.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Could just go ahead and call it Halo already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is it Friday already?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Its Infinity Ward's year, the same studio responsible for the excellent Modern Warfare and MW2 games, so clearly something has gone awry at the studio.
    Maybe the fact that most of the key staff at Infinity Ward who were responsible for the games you mention don't work there anymore? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

COD... *shudders...

I lost faith for this game a long time ago. I can't see any value in a game that changes skins/weapons every single year. The earlier games were great, but it just became another money grab. Remake a decent COD:WAW for the love of god...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At least it's a step forward.

Sick to death of the current trend of '2025' shooters. People said WW2 was over-saturated but nothing compared to the current rash of titles.

A return to a more historical era would be ideal in my eyes but a proper futuristic COD is interesting. Would it even be human v human? Think Battlestar Galactica...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

a Call of Duty game set in space "makes sense."

I beg to differ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CoD has been haemorrhaging it's player base in the last few years so a shake up is definitely needed to engage the masses. I'm all for them trying something different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The motion picture industry has time & again proven that a move to space can be both the creative and commercial shake-up a languishing franchise needs. See, for example, Jason X, Emmanuelle in Space, and the best film of 1997, Leprechaun in Space.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The motion picture industry has time & again proven that a move to space can be both the creative and commercial shake-up a languishing franchise needs. See, for example, Jason X, Emmanuelle in Space, and the best film of 1997, Leprechaun in Space.

You forgot Critters 4, I expect you'll be handing in your film forum mod badge in the morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You forgot Critters 4, I expect you'll be handing in your film forum mod badge in the morning.

Critters 4 doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Dracula 3000 or whatever that Hellraiser film set in space was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Space.... the final next frontier....
    These are the voyages of the publisher Activision. It's continuous mission, to milk franchises like never before.....

dooooo doooo dooo dooo dooo, dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't even joke about Leprachaun 4 in Space. I bought the DVD and watched it. I thought it would be so bad it's good. It's so bad it's awful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Any hope for a CoD:Primal? 8 kills for a mammoth killstreak?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

25 Kill Streak causes an ice age and the game ends regardless of the score...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Think is, that I would love to see proper modern day cod. Not 15 years in the future, not 15 years in the past, but current timeline and current available weaponry. Something like Mw1 and mw2 were.

Think is, that I would love to see proper modern day cod. Not 15 years in the future, not 15 years in the past, but current timeline and current available weaponry. Something like Mw1 and mw2 were.
    So like, MW3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Space Dogs sounds like something someone would make a parody of about COD's dog obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    So like, MW3?

Yeah, but not ****y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't even joke about Leprachaun 4 in Space. I bought the DVD and watched it. I thought it would be so bad it's good. It's so bad it's awful.

Are you sure you had enough cans? I watched it a few years back with a few friends and even more bottles of vodka and it was a masterpiece, easily up there with Sharknado, two headed shark attack, Mongolian death worm, Samurai Cop and other genre classics destined to outlive us all.

Are you sure you had enough cans? I watched it a few years back with a few friends and even more bottles of vodka and it was a masterpiece, easily up there with Sharknado, two headed shark attack, Mongolian death worm, Samurai Cop and other genre classics destined to outlive us all.

I watched it sober. Definitely not how it should be experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Can we just get another ghosts?

Love the strikezone map it's all I ever play these days

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I want a WWII game with ghosts and space dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I always thought that CoD was at its best in realistic, recognisable settings. The maps that stick out in my mind are the ones that felt like real places - the fight around the crashed copter, the middle eastern map with the bus in the middle, the Russian countryside map, the abandoned concert arena. I don't know their names but I remember every inch of them.

Advanced Warefare was a step away from that for me and BO3 a step too far. The maps and settings just felt too abstract for me to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

but Leprechaun in Space is no Leprechaun in the Hood :P:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I still think Jason X is one of the best bad movies ever, it's a total self-parody.

Links234 wrote: »
    I still think Jason X is one of the best bad movies ever, it's a total self-parody.
    I rewatched the "he's been modified" scene when johnny_ultimate mentioned it above. Jesus, I don't remember it being so cheap. Then again, with a budget of $11m, it was made on a fraction of what's used to just market CoD, never mind develop it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thing is, everyone is expecting/hoping the next CoD will bring back the good memories of the older games. Yes, MW1&2 were probably the pinnacle of the series so far (in terms of SP and online MP). But it was already getting stale by MW3 and gone by Ghosts. A change was needed, but it also needed to feel similar, so AW came about and it was a good step imo. It was a solid shooter, with some nice new additions that are great once you get used to them. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Then BO3 came out, and i was skeptical as it seemed to be copying AW a lot. And i wasn't a huge fan of the previous BO's. But, it was different enough from AW and i'm still plugging away at it. It's not my favourite, but i keep going back to it. It's a bit "too" fast for me, and definitely too small.

If this is true, let's see what they can do with one set in space (different planets are the maps so gravity is different on each?!). It will be very different to people's yearnings for the older games, but taken as an individual game, it could be good. IW have a pretty good record, and even with the loss of a lot of the previous staff, i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Whatever it is, i will be buying it. I just hope it has bigger maps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Go get rid of killstreaks, tone down the weapons and logo and customisation stuff.

Set the game in Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

If the developers change the formula too much people will be pissed off. They were already pissed at the jumping stuff they stole from titanfall. They just have to basically change the models and skins and keep the engine the same. The series just annoys me now and i don't even play it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yup, COD doesn't interest me any more.

I remember playing the original MW Beta, tremendous game. It blew me away in multi-player, everything was downhill in COD after that.

Advertisement