Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutalist Architecture in Dublin

Options
  • 29-03-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering would the current Central Bank on Dame St be classified as brutalist architecture?
    Also what other examples of the brutalist style are found around Dublin city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Busaras
    Hawkins house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I love brutalism in Dublin. There's actually loads of it - although I appreciate a lot of it would not be considered particularly amazing examples of brutalism.

Phibsborough shopping centre, the old motor tax office, Fitzwilton house, agriculture house, civic offices, some in ucd and trinity.

Here's a flickr album of some places:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/inuitmonster/albums/72157644690366462/with/3471225344/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sacksian wrote: »
    I love brutalism in Dublin. There's actually loads of it - although I appreciate a lot of it would not be considered particularly amazing examples of brutalism.

Phibsborough shopping centre, the old motor tax office, Fitzwilton house, agriculture house, civic offices, some in ucd and trinity.

Here's a flickr album of some places:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/inuitmonster/albums/72157644690366462/with/3471225344/
    I have zero problem with brutalism; I just feel Dublin brutalism is very poor (and there is lots of it badly done).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

It's better suited to warmer climates not damp, windy, rainy Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots of those buildings look like they would hugely benefit from a good power wash. I think exposed concrete in and of itself is a good use but when it is let get so dirty it can make the entire building seem dull and gray, especially under our clouds

• Advertisement

When you see what "green facelifts" can do to a building it's a shame it's not done more here. For example, same building with a solar panel and glass facelift:

Before:
    Edith_Green_-_Wendell_Wyatt_Federal_Building.jpg

After:
    egww_page_photo_901096017290379447_1368465240434.png

Info on this project: http://gbdmagazine.com/2013/25-howard-s-wright/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Liberty Hall

IMO Liberty Hall isn't brutalism. :shrug:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Fitzwalton House is an incredible building, probably my favourite in the city. It has a wonderful sense of scale and dominance on the canal there. A shame there are plans to demolish it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Arts block, Trinity College ( backing on to Nassau street).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The two Godawful bunkers on Wood Quay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Civic Offices , Wood Quay.

St. James’ House, Adelaide Road.

River House, Chancery Street.

Terminal 1 , Dublin Airport.

Oisin House, Pearse Street.

ESB Head Office, Fitzwilliam street.

In the suburbs.....DLR Lexicon, Haigh Terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I have zero problem with brutalism; I just feel Dublin brutalism is very poor (and there is lots of it badly done).

It's brutal, wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

trellheim wrote: »
    Busaras
    Hawkins house

Hawkins House might qualify, but Busaras predates Brutalism, and is far too ornate/playful to be considered as part of that school of architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

love the before & after photos above- very impressive & a great idea.

Also don't think the library in DL could be considered brutalist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Would the Abbey Theatre be considered Brutalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The two Godawful bunkers on Wood Quay?

I have to agree with you there. Its a shame they were allowed to be built. I see them most days and my heart has never warmed to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What about the old North Strand Tech building, now called Marino College, at the Five Lamps? I know it was originally intended to have a second identical structure beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hawkins House is a horrible building, but not brutalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hawkins House is a horrible building, but not brutalist.

Thankfully it's going to be demolished. The worst thing is they razed what looked like a nice theatre in order put up that monstrosity. DCC planners/councillors have a lot to answer for.

Hawkins+Street%2523.jpg

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Former Irish Anglo Bank HQ on Stephens green, now Starbucks
    Definitely not brutalist! It's more like a ****ty attempt at postmodernism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think people are getting confused with brutalism and just brutal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

smackyB wrote: »
    Thankfully it's going to be demolished. The worst thing is they razed what looked like a nice theatre in order put up that monstrosity. DCC planners/councillors have a lot to answer for.

And even without the style of building, a theatre slap bang in the centre of town is better than an office that doesn't need that location.

Cienciano wrote: »
    And even without the style of building, a theatre slap bang in the centre of town is better than an office that doesn't need that location.
    It was a cinema actually - of which there are 3 within 15 minutes walk from there.
    Speaking of theatres, there are actually 3 within a 15 minute walk from there too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It was a cinema actually
    It was both according to this.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It was both according to this.
    Considering that place was demolished over 50 years ago, that's quite the technicality :pac:

Advertisement