Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Advice 225*45*19

• 29-03-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I need some advice on 4 new Tyres for my Mazda 6.

The size is 225*45*19 & they seem to be not too common & are quite expensive!

The car came with Bridgstone whick have done 31k KM & local tyre supplier is now recommending to replace them with either Falken or Kumho.

He says there both quite good but without the added price of a premium brand.

I've never heard of either of these brands - any opinions out there?

Avoid, buy or look for another tyre supplier?

Many Thanks

Tanka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kumho do great tires. I'd have no problem with having them on my car. Not sure about Falken, I've heard of them, but can't remember how people rate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

Have had Kumho on a Touareg a good tire they also have a good motorsport heritage maybe the technology makes it's way to the road tires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Falken are also considered good.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=47&query=falken

Do note that various tyres within a brand will have different qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

tanka006 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I need some advice on 4 new Tyres for my Mazda 6.

The size is 225*45*19 & they seem to be not too common & are quite expensive!

The car came with Bridgstone whick have done 31k KM & local tyre supplier is now recommending to replace them with either Falken or Kumho.

He says there both quite good but without the added price of a premium brand.

I've never heard of either of these brands - any opinions out there?

Avoid, buy or look for another tyre supplier?

Many Thanks

Tanka

Paid about €100ea for mid range front tyres (235*35*19) for a 5 series recently.
    Close enough to your size so should be a good baseline to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭tanka006

Guys

Thanks for the information.

The Bridgstones are coming in at €220 per corner - that's what I mean by expensive.....:eek:(I checked a number of suppliers - all in & around same price)

That's why supplier was suggesting the other brands.

Please keep suggestions coming

Many Thanks

Tanka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Paid about €100ea for mid range front tyres (235*35*19) for a 5 series recently.
    Close enough to your size so should be a good baseline to work with.

What brand was that as €100 per corner for anything in 19" is very cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

http://www.tyrecomp.ie/car-tyres/225-45-r19.htm

Something to play around with if only for information and comparison.

I have never bought tires online but others here have and will be better able to advise on the various online retailers and how to go about getting them fitted cost etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

bazz26 wrote: »

Seriously, I've an E60 with those size tyres on the front and they worked out at around 180 each for Uniroyal RainSport 3.

Ill take a look tonight as they are on the wifes car. Bought them in Ballyneethy tyre centre (place next to the petrol station) in limerick.

ongarite wrote: »
    Seriously, I've an E60 with those size tyres on the front and they worked out at around 180 each for Uniroyal RainSport 3.

Two front tyres/valves and balance for €215 I think. About 3 months ago. Could have got ones for €90ea but the €100ea ones had better noise and wet weather specs

• Advertisement

Ill take a look tonight as they are on the wifes car. Bought them in Ballyneethy tyre centre (place next to the petrol station) in limerick.

Were they brand new or part worn tyres?
    Two front tyres/valves and balance for €215 I think. About 3 months ago. Could have got ones for €90ea but the €100ea ones had better noise and wet weather specs

I'd genuinely fear what €90 would get you brand new in a 19" tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

tanka006 wrote: »
    Guys

Thanks for the information.

The Bridgstones are coming in at €220 per corner - that's what I mean by expensive.....:eek:(I checked a number of suppliers - all in & around same price)

That's why supplier was suggesting the other brands.

Please keep suggestions coming

Many Thanks

Tanka

I have Falken ZE914s on a 318d in 225/45R18, pretty happy with them in general, they will be due for replacement this summer. I think they were about €140 each supplied and fitted. Assuming Michelin start to offer them in the size I need they'll be replaced with Cross Climates.

I have Kumho Ecsta LE on the A5 in 245/40R18, I don't know cost or comparison as they were fitted new by the dealer on pickup.

Were they brand new or part worn tyres?

100% new! would have said so otherwise.

I'd genuinely fear what €90 would get you brand new in a 19" tyre.

Checked this morning and it was actually the back pair we replaced, not the front so the tyres were bigger again (275*35*ZR19).
    Tyres are Delinte Thunder D7 100x xl extra load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Checked this morning and it was actually the back pair we replaced, not the front so the tyres were bigger again (275*35*ZR19).

They sound about as good as the Sunny's that came off the back of my car and are never going back on - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714262

OP - €225 a corner for that size in a known brand, is a very good price. For the same size Conti's we've paid over €280 a corner.

Got a pair of Kumho's in that size fitted at the start of this year by AA Tyre Master for around €170 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭tanka006

Many Thanks Guys

Lots of food for thought here as usual

Tanka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The cheapest I'd go for would be Kumho Ecstas for €124 each from gigatyres
    Delivered but not fitted at that.

R.O.R wrote: »
    They sound about as good as the Sunny's that came off the back of my car and are never going back on - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714262

OP - €225 a corner for that size in a known brand, is a very good price. For the same size Conti's we've paid over €280 a corner.

Got a pair of Kumho's in that size fitted at the start of this year by AA Tyre Master for around €170 each.

There absolutely fine on my car for grip and wear. The performance rating on these tyres from the label (EU regulation since 2012) was also reasonable.

Being an engineer I just love to hear unscientific assessments of a product with zero data:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aren't the performance levels that go on the sticker supplied by the manufacturer rather than any sort of independent test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There absolutely fine on my car for grip and wear. The performance rating on these tyres from the label (EU regulation since 2012) was also reasonable.

Being an engineer I just love to hear unscientific assessments of a product with zero data:)

I'd pay no heed at all to the tyre label - as Colm says, that's the manufacturer putting that info on.

Driver reports from Google seem to suggest they are rubbish, but I can't say for sure as I've no experience of them. I do have quite a lot of experience of cheap rubbish tyres - the Sunny's I took off the rear of my car would spin at 80km/h when the box changed down to 3rd - that's quite scary on a motorway in heavy rain.

I'm not the quickest to jump on the cheap tyres = cr@p tyres as I'm running a pair of Runway Enduro's on the back now, and have no complaints about those in any weather.

Your a brave man putting them on a rear wheel drive car.

Tyre companies rate their own tyres so all they have to do is meet minimum EU standards. You really only find out how good or poor your tyres are when you actually need them to keep you on the road.

• Advertisement

Your a brave man putting them on a rear wheel drive car.

Again, this is only your unscientific opinion backed up by no data that you have presented to date.
    Considering I appear to be the only person here to have tried these tyres out, I think that puts me it the best position here to rate them.

At the end of the day I was only offering a baseline price for the OP to work with and I got called out for suggesting I got tyres for a ridiculously low price. I have since offered up all details. A quality discussion is a different topic:)

Tyre companies rate their own tyres so all they have to do is meet minimum EU standards. You really only find out how good or poor your tyres are when you actually need them to keep you on the road.

In this I am referring to the performance label as per below link. These labels were on the tyres.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Your-Vehicles-Tyres-/Choosing-a-Tyre/

At the end of the day if there wasn't some regulation around the categories companies rated their tyres in, what would stop them rating all categories at the highest level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I fear it won't be terribly long before this one becomes another Michelin v Kung Po 'discussion'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

I fear it won't be terribly long before this one becomes another Michelin v Kung Po 'discussion'...

I had a Kung Po at a Michelin starred restaurant before. Tasted like rubber...

Advertisement