Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Alarm Recommendations

• 29-03-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have just moved into a new home and was hoping someone could recommend me a decent alarm. i was going to go with eircom phonewatch but was put off by their monthly monitoring fee of 40 euro. thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will be put off by a lot more if you do some more research here.
    If the property is wired I would recommend Siemens/Vanderbilt SPC Range
    For wireless GSD i70 would be my first choice.

Both come with the option of free Apps , free notifications and free remote access with poll fail notifications.
    The above systems do not require any running costs in the form of regular subscriptions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

cheadle999 wrote: »
    I have just moved into a new home and was hoping someone could recommend me a decent alarm. i was going to go with eircom phonewatch but was put off by their monthly monitoring fee of 40 euro. thanks.

Well spotted OP, also what a lot of people do not realise is that you will end up with a system that only Sector Alarms ( Phonewatch ) can repair and monitor so you will be as such tied into them.

That does not suggest that the rest of us in the electronic security business are in anyway incapable but if you do your homework you will find dozens of more reasonable monitoring stations up and down the country which you will not be tied too, an installer who you will not be tied too and equipment which any reputable and competent installation company can take over in the event of you choosing to move away from your original installer.

My advise to you would be to check out the PSA website, all licensed 'contractors' as they call us, are all listed on it, you are of course obliged to use a licensed installer.

All listed here;
    https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/1A.-Register-of-Contractor-Licensees-%28AllSectors%29.pdf/Files/1A.-Register-of-Contractor-Licensees-%28AllSectors%29.pdf

Or if you have a trading name, this will save time;

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/webContract?OpenForm

You could also enquire from family and friends for recommendations, but we do recommend 3 written quotations.

If you need any help with those, we are here

PS just re the system specification, you are always better off getting a system that provides perimeter protection, this is best as it detects intruders before they gain access to your home and also you can have the system on and move around within the house without setting it off or feeling restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cheadle999

is anyone familiar with securigard? they have a similar enough installation fee as phonewatch but monitoring is less than half the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

is anyone familiar with securigard? they have a similar enough installation fee as phonewatch but monitoring is less than half the price

They use Visonic. Nice wireless system. What you're seeing is a package deal. They do full custom systems aswell. Ask for the smartphone app from whatever company you choose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Generally those systems will be trap systems relying mainly on internal PiR protection. These systems only activates after the burglar has gained entry.
    I would recommendrecommend you look at a system based on perimeter protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    Generally those systems will be trap systems relying mainly on internal PiR protection. These systems only activates after the burglar has gained entry.
    I would recommendrecommend you look at a system based on perimeter protection.

Of course it is not practical either as you can't have the system switched on and choose to move around your home freely.

There are tons of reasons perimeter protection is better. What baffles me is how some people are happy to listen to some student with a few hours training over lads with years of experience on different systems.

Advertisement