Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a charge cable in service station - 8% in almost two hours

• 29-03-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought a lightning cable in a local service station because I forgot my charger at home over the weekend and my iPhone 6 battery is shattered by lunch. Bloody bought it last summer.

Anyway - the charge cable is useless. Plugged it in at one pm when at 32%. It's now 2:50pm and the phone is at 40%.

I've used my other cables (an official one and an amazon one) with this USB charger before with no issues and they charge really quickly.

Is this to be expected with cheap cables or is it faulty?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I'm amazed it even worked :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are very cheaply produced and untested, so it's a lucky dip with them. But they are generally unreliable if not dangerous. I'd always advise getting an official cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

They are very cheaply produced and untested, so it's a lucky dip with them. But they are generally unreliable if not dangerous. I'd always advise getting an official cable.

I second this for such an expensive device I would always buy official cables and chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought one a few months ago also when I forgot my charger when away overnight. I plugged it into my laptop and into the phone and nothing, phone wouldn't register a lead plugged and laptop also failed to register anything plugged in. I returned it for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

The only cables I would trust that aren't Apple are Anker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Senecio wrote: »
    The only cables I would trust that aren't Apple are Anker.

Not even Amazon own brand ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I bought one a few months ago also when I forgot my charger when away overnight. I plugged it into my laptop and into the phone and nothing, phone wouldn't register a lead plugged and laptop also failed to register anything plugged in. I returned it for a refund.

The USB port on a laptop does not supply enough power for a smartphone. If it does detect it it will barely charge it. A wall charger for a smartphone us usually 4 times more powerful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

quad_red wrote: »

AmazonBasics anything are rubbish. I bought 5 HDMI cables from them when I only needed 4. I figured at least 1 of them would fail. I was wrong. 2 of them did.

I know they say their Lightning cables are Apple-certified, but… I don't believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

quad_red wrote: »

No. Apple or Anker. That's all I'll trust my devices to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The USB port on a laptop does not supply enough power for a smartphone. If it does detect it it will barely charge it. A wall charger for a smartphone us usually 4 times more powerful

Depends entirely on the laptop of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement