Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed bugs in rental property

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Right unfortunately I know a lot about these things. Firstly OP, are you sure they are bed bugs? If so, they're about the size of a lentil and move quick enough for their size. They are see through but when feeding they're purpley red from (your) blood.
    If you have these guys you need professionals to be 100% sure they're gone forever. It's a big job. Cost us $1800 in Australia 7 years ago so will probably be expensive here too. The exterminators came 3 times for the guts of a day each time. I'm not sure how common they are in Ireland but make sure you get an exterminator with proven history of getting rid of these things. I paid some muppet a couple of hundred in Ozzy to come cover and spray something around the place a bit, it did nothing.
    The guys will also get you to wash and dry your clothes at a high temperature in tumble driers. And all your bedding.
    You're in for a tonne of fun dude but living with them was hell and finally being free of them was the best feeling ever when I could lie in bed at night sweating from the heat and only worry about the usual things like poisonous spiders, cockroaches, and snakes. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Right unfortunately I know a lot about these things. Firstly OP, are you sure they are bed bugs? If so, they're about the size of a lentil and move quick enough for their size. They are see through but when feeding they're purpley red from (your) blood.
    If you have these guys you need professionals to be 100% sure they're gone forever. It's a big job. Cost us $1800 in Australia 7 years ago so will probably be expensive here too. The exterminators came 3 times for the guts of a day each time. I'm not sure how common they are in Ireland but make sure you get an exterminator with proven history of getting rid of these things. I paid some muppet a couple of hundred in Ozzy to come cover and spray something around the place a bit, it did nothing.
    The guys will also get you to wash and dry your clothes at a high temperature in tumble driers. And all your bedding.
    You're in for a tonne of fun dude but living with them was hell and finally being free of them was the best feeling ever when I could lie in bed at night sweating from the heat and only worry about the usual things like poisonous spiders, cockroaches, and snakes. Good luck.

I'm gonna try a steam cleaner and Hoover then bed bug spray over the weekend. It's an apparetment so no point paying for an exterminator if they're just gonna reappear from next door again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I'm gonna try a steam cleaner and Hoover then bed bug spray over the weekend. It's an apparetment so no point paying for an exterminator if they're just gonna reappear from next door again

The best it would do is hold them off for a night or two, trust me. Again, are you sure they are BBs?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

i just had a guy in last week to spray the place .....i know im in Aus , but its an expensive but well worth it cure......tossed the mattress and frame , hoovered , steamed and sprayed the **** outta the place......one thing to remember, do not sleep in the living room because of the bastards....they WILL follow the increased CO2 you exhale when you sleep and set up shop in your couch...get some industrial double sided tape and cover up the legs of the bed....they mightn't have come from next door , they can lie dormant for months.....i picked them up in Fiji i think, hitchhiked in the luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dinny Byrne has Angina

Have you or your housemates been traveling recently? Outside of hostels, bedbugs are uncommon in Ireland.

You may want to research some other domestic parasites that are commonly found amongst the native population, such as scabies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Don't be so sure it's bed bugs.

We thought we had them and turns out it was wooly bear larvae (also called varied carpet beetle)

They can get in through air vents through the wind.They don't bite as such but can cause a histamine response from the hairs the larvae shed

You'll really need a professional to kill them off as your sockets need treating also.

And they're nothing to do with dirt or old furniture, im a clean freak and we got them!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

. It's an apparetment so no point paying for an exterminator if they're just gonna reappear from next door again

What makes you think there in next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I didn't think bedbugs could travel very far (like from another apartment).

OP Have you slept anywhere else recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Have you or your housemates been traveling recently? Outside of hostels, bedbugs are uncommon in Ireland.

You may want to research some other domestic parasites that are commonly found amongst the native population, such as scabies

Funny my mother only said to me yesterday when I was collecting the little one, did you hear bed bugs are on the rise in ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hoover, steam and wash all soft furnishings and bed clothes. Flip your mattress. Clean up more often in future. Rented or not, it's your dirt!

Fairly ignorant post there stoplooklisten. Shows you know noting on the topic. Flipping the mattress, you would have a better result if you blessed the mattress with holy water.

You can see adult bedbugs, they are quite small though. Check out online about how to get rid of them. Getting a new mattress would be easier but check with the landlord first ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevkelly90

Been in a rental flat about a year a discovered a handful of these feckers this morning

What should I do?

Exact same thing happened to me.

I contacted the Landlord, who sent out an exterminator. He sprayed the whole apartment not just my bed. It solved the problem.

The exterminator told me that the bugs had been there years because of the volume.

Other replies on this are so uninformative. Just make sure to get in touch with your landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevkelly90

Also you can tell its bed bugs by little dark specks all over your sheets. The little dark specks are your blood. Basically the bugs eat at you and then excrete it out. Pull up your sheets and you will probably notice them in the corners of your mattress too and also bed bugs themselves. Also left up the mattress and look at the corners, you should be able to see the bugs.

What freaked me out was that I would have been sleeping with the bugs for months an not know about it. It was only when a friend stayed over and the next day she was covered in small red lumps (bites). Her skin is obviously different then mine, which had no reaction to the bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Fairly ignorant post there stoplooklisten. Shows you know noting on the topic. Flipping the mattress, you would have a better result if you blessed the mattress with holy water.

You can see adult bedbugs, they are quite small though. Check out online about how to get rid of them. Getting a new mattress would be easier but check with the landlord first ;)

Hoovering, steaming and then flipping. You missed half my post.
    Check out online about how to get rid of them

I'm guessing I just don't have has much experience with bed bugs as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: Keep it civil folks. No problem having different opinions and views, but just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't give you the right to attack.

One and only warning.

Ill ring the landlord this evening and tell him the bad news, he might pay for the whole block to be exterminated (doubtful); either case im going to do the following on Saturday:
    • Steam Clean thoroughly
    • Tumble dry all clothes for 30 mins on high heat
    • Lay down a spray (highly recommended one)
    • Lay down a fine layer of dia earth powder

As you can see this is my weekend ruined but its better than sleeping on the couch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hoovering, steaming and then flipping. You missed half my post.

Why would I point out hoovering and steaming? Steaming is definitely recommended. Flipping a mattress is not. It only hides the problem.

I'm guessing I just don't have has much experience with bed bugs as you do.

Not directly, but there's tons of stuff online about them.

Let us know the outcome OP, see what the LL says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Don't be so sure it's bed bugs.

We thought we had them and turns out it was wooly bear larvae (also called varied carpet beetle)

They can get in through air vents through the wind.They don't bite as such but can cause a histamine response from the hairs the larvae shed

You'll really need a professional to kill them off as your sockets need treating also.

And they're nothing to do with dirt or old furniture, im a clean freak and we got them!

I'm in the middle of a war of attrition with these carpet beetles atm. Harmless little gits, as above they don't bite but it seems they like to munch through natural fibre cloths etc.

Finally tracked them down to hanging out behind skirting boards and sprayed insecticide there after a deep vacuum of floor boards and the gaps in-between them. Seems to have worked. Wahay !
    This is the time of year for them. The op was asked many times if he was sure they were BB's but hasn't confirmed this.

The CB's are the shape of a ladybird but about 25% of the size and a dark brown speckled colour. I was gonna put up a pic but they're a bit gross !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

A tenant accused me of renting a house in which there were bed bugs - despite the fact that she had lived in the house for 15 months previous to that without a single bedbug. She threatened me with all sorts of things (including her parents!) unless I bought new bed, mattress etc etc etc. Luckily she had sent me a photo of the 'bed bug'. Rentokil identified it as a spider beetle which she had probably brought in herself.

Did I ever get an apology from the tenant or her parents for their false accusations ? Never.

What comes around goes around.

1.618 wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of a war of attrition with these carpet beetles atm. Harmless little gits, as above they don't bite but it seems they like to munch through natural fibre cloths etc.

Finally tracked them down to hanging out behind skirting boards and sprayed insecticide there after a deep vacuum of floor boards and the gaps in-between them. Seems to have worked. Wahay !
    This is the time of year for them. The op was asked many times if he was sure they were BB's but hasn't confirmed this.

The CB's are the shape of a ladybird but about 25% of the size and a dark brown speckled colour. I was gonna put up a pic but they're a bit gross !

Wooden floors are a killer for them! We have natural wood and there are pretty large gaps between the boards. I'm totally paranoid now and considering putting laminate down over it all!

I actually got badly 'bitten' from them. I kept waking up with what looked like bites so of course assumed it was bed bugs! Until rentokil found a larvae in our room *shudders*

OP you cannot presume it's bed bugs. Leave it to the experts to decide.

Wooden floors are a killer for them! We have natural wood and there are pretty large gaps between the boards. I'm totally paranoid now and considering putting laminate down over it all!

I actually got badly 'bitten' from them. I kept waking up with what looked like bites so of course assumed it was bed bugs! Until rentokil found a larvae in our room *shudders*

OP you cannot presume it's bed bugs. Leave it to the experts to decide.

There's plenty of stuff on line about them (as I'm sure you know) but never saw anything about them biting people. Jaysus I don't need that ! Having said that I haven't found a larvae yet.

Yeah, big gaps between the floor boards here too. From what I saw it's a vacuum>spray> repeat again and again for as long as it takes.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of stuff on line about them (as I'm sure you know) but never saw anything about them biting people. Jaysus I don't need that ! Having said that I haven't found a larvae yet.

Yeah, big gaps between the floor boards here too. From what I saw it's a vacuum>spray> repeat again and again for as long as it takes.

Yip it's the larvae that leave the hives! But apparently not all people will react and get them, I have loads of allergies so my histamine levels are high as it is!

Did you spray them yourself or get rentokil?

Would be interested to know what to get as it cost a small fortune to get them out to spray the feckers!

Yip it's the larvae that leave the hives! But apparently not all people will react and get them, I have loads of allergies so my histamine levels are high as it is!

Did you spray them yourself or get rentokil?

Would be interested to know what to get as it cost a small fortune to get them out to spray the feckers!

Local hardware shop had 1 ltr btl of 'Ant and crawling insect killer' made by Doff, for €8 and it was brilliant. The key is identifying where they are hanging in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A tenant accused me of renting a house in which there were bed bugs - despite the fact that she had lived in the house for 15 months previous to that without a single bedbug. She threatened me with all sorts of things (including her parents!) unless I bought new bed, mattress etc etc etc. Luckily she had sent me a photo of the 'bed bug'. Rentokil identified it as a spider beetle which she had probably brought in herself.

Did I ever get an apology from the tenant or her parents for their false accusations ? Never.

What comes around goes around.

I had to take a landlord to the PRTB over bed bugs. I was living there about two weeks and I woke up covered in bites. She denied that there could be any problem as she had slept in the room herself and would have been bitten. Anyway like an eegit I arranged for the exterminator to come around and paid him in full and then she refused to refund me because she had to replace the bed. Anyway the lease hadn't actually been signed and she just asked me to leave but refused to give me my deposit back plus the money I paid to exterminator. Eight months later I agreed not to take the case any further if she paid for medical bills (was severely allergic to the bites), refunded the exterminator money and my deposit so that was about €1,000. I also had to thrown out bedding, clothes, a TV cabinet because I was too afraid of them following me.

My friend stayed on in the place for a few months but had to leave because the house was completely overrun by them and the landlord refused to do anything about it. So yea, what comes around goes around. She was definitely the craziest landlord I ever had, she really though her only obligation was to collect the rent every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

It's a significant issue in Ireland - see article below

http://www.independent.ie/life/dont-let-the-bed-bugs-bite-2016-sees-80pc-increase-in-infestations-but-what-counties-are-suffering-the-most-34538596.html

I have heard they are easy to pick up - apparently it's bad in London, you could pick up on your shoe in a taxi and walk into your home, eek!

this isn't something I'd leave to chance, definitely a job for the professionals. Bed bugs quickly reproduce and spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Sorry to butt in, is this what they look like (attached)? I'm finding a load of them all over the house and in my bedroom! Solid wood floors here too with big gaps between! What do I do to get rid of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Googling carpet beetle, its seems the answer is yes. The colouring is the same.

Im not so sure they are bed bugs - i havent seen any enlarged body post feeding (likely due to the fact ive been on the couch all week!)

But they only ever hang around the matress so I am going to assume they arent there for comfort and destroy them before it gets out of hand

Lux23 wrote: »
    I had to take a landlord to the PRTB over bed bugs. I was living there about two weeks and I woke up covered in bites. She denied that there could be any problem as she had slept in the room herself and would have been bitten. Anyway like an eegit I arranged for the exterminator to come around and paid him in full and then she refused to refund me because she had to replace the bed. Anyway the lease hadn't actually been signed and she just asked me to leave but refused to give me my deposit back plus the money I paid to exterminator. Eight months later I agreed not to take the case any further if she paid for medical bills (was severely allergic to the bites), refunded the exterminator money and my deposit so that was about €1,000. I also had to thrown out bedding, clothes, a TV cabinet because I was too afraid of them following me.

My friend stayed on in the place for a few months but had to leave because the house was completely overrun by them and the landlord refused to do anything about it. So yea, what comes around goes around. She was definitely the craziest landlord I ever had, she really though her only obligation was to collect the rent every month.

How much was the exterminator btw?

Sorry to butt in, is this what they look like (attached)? I'm finding a load of them all over the house and in my bedroom! Solid wood floors here too with big gaps between! What do I do to get rid of them??

That's one alright. Cute eh !

More details needed ?
    Hover the whole floor with normal wide attachment (brush down)
    Using either no attachment or the pointy plastic/round brush attachment follow the gaps between the boards getting all the dust/debris/crap out of the gaps. Check curtains and blinds too.

As mentioned the skirting was the issue (one of their fav spots). Gaps between skirting and walls.
    I sprayed the stuff behind and under the skirting. Took care to spray behind the rad too.

Did that yesterday and not one has turned up since. There was one lone rogue in the bathroom though.

I will repeat all that anyway in a few days.
    Usual caveat with the spray- Kids, pets, for indoor use etc.

• Advertisement

Im not so sure they are bed bugs - i havent seen any enlarged body post feeding (likely due to the fact ive been on the couch all week!)

But they only ever hang around the matress so I am going to assume they arent there for comfort and destroy them before it gets out of hand

They might just want to chew on the bedding.

Anyway.... Best off luck with it whatever they are.

Advertisement