Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demanding a particular payment method

Options
  • 29-03-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi folks,
    I'm wondering is it okay to require a particular payment method, or is it always up to the client/customer what payment method they use?

For example can I state that I only accept a standing order, and refuse cheque/cash payments?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You can but whether it's a good idea or not is a different matter! If you have zero competition then you can do what you want but if someone can quickly move to a company that allows for a payment method they prefer then you would want to think twice about doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Oedo

jimmii wrote: »
    You can but whether it's a good idea or not is a different matter! If you have zero competition then you can do what you want but if someone can quickly move to a company that allows for a payment method they prefer then you would want to think twice about doing it.

It's for a relatively small monthly fee, where when we're not receiving automated payments either by standing order or Stripe we end up having to chase payments which really eats in to the value of the payments. Thankfully we don't have to worry about them finding an alternative provider, either they're with us or they probably won't use the service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Give your customers the option, handy monthly payments via standing order/stripe or cash/cheque for annual payments in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Oedo wrote: »
    It's for a relatively small monthly fee, where when we're not receiving automated payments either by standing order or Stripe we end up having to chase payments which really eats in to the value of the payments. Thankfully we don't have to worry about them finding an alternative provider, either they're with us or they probably won't use the service.

Definitely makes sense in that situation then. Are you able to offer a small discount for people paying by recurring save having to chase payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Oedo

jimmii wrote: »
    Definitely makes sense in that situation then. Are you able to offer a small discount for people paying by recurring save having to chase payments?

It wouldn't translate well as part of the pitch. I think I'll just be more steadfast in the future to avoid any messing around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 SBG387

If your service / solution is online-only (e.g. SaaS or something similar), then it seems to be standard practice to only allow recurring payments. Of the various services I use online, I think only Google (e.g. AdWords) allows for one-off bank transfers etc. All of them seek payment in advance rather than in arrears and I am sure they are all quick to turn off access if payment does not arrive on time.

(PS I have no idea why I am thinking your service is online-only - Maybe the fact you mentioned Stripe.)

Advertisement