Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How can I tell if my bike is restricted?.

• 29-03-2016 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Google doesn't give me back a whole lot of info.

Basically I just got curious after reading of someone with a restricted DL650 Vstrom and wondered 'f*ck it, now I'm curious about mine'.

So, is there a simple check I can do?.

I'm stepping down from a BMW R1100S so the bike is down a lot on power and its been a long time since I've owned something so small so its feeling slow to me either way.

Anyone?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What power do you think it's restricted to? If it's the old 33bhp itll be most likely a throttle or carb restriction, the twist grip won't have full movement. Probably the easiest, and totally illegal way, would be to open it up on a quiet motorway and see what it tops out at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Del2005 wrote: »
    What power do you think it's restricted to? If it's the old 33bhp itll be most likely a throttle or carb restriction, the twist grip won't have full movement. Probably the easiest, and totally illegal way, would be to open it up on a quiet motorway and see what it tops out at.

I've wheelied bikes down O'Connell St so opening up on the motorway wouldn't bother me :P

I'm guessing the engine wouldn't rev too freely if it was restricted?.

I can check the log book (or whatever you call that thing now) when I'm home, but that won't be until tomorrow and I'm just curious now :confused:

(quite day in work :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Does it rev out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

140+ and she's not restricted.

I've wheelied bikes down O'Connell St so opening up on the motorway wouldn't bother me :P

I'm guessing the engine wouldn't rev too freely if it was restricted?.

I can check the log book (or whatever you call that thing now) when I'm home, but that won't be until tomorrow and I'm just curious now :confused:

(quite day in work :p )

Drag race from the lights on the way home. I had a Z750 restricted and a friend had a full power Fz6, the Z was beaten after 20m.

• Advertisement

Dammit I'd hoped there would be someone the the registration document, nadda.

Curiosity is getting the better of me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dammit I'd hoped there would be someone the the registration document, nadda.

Curiosity is getting the better of me now.

Would you only get something on the log book if it was factory restricted??
    I'm not sure if you want to go down that road - stick it on a dyno to check power?

Ok I have it.

My bike is unrestricted.

In case anyone is doing a search for this information I'll drop these photos here, there's very little in google on this.

The UNRESTRICTED CDI unit is marked 27G00 and the RESTRICTED is 27G10

381752.jpg

And the location of the CDI is BEHIND the battery, here;

381753.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you can overtake a Dachia from the lights its not restricted.....lol

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you can overtake a Dachia from the lights its not restricted.....lol

I think I'd struggle.

There's a massive drop off in power over my last bike.

But I'm making a killing on running costs. Last fill up I got 345kms for €20, on the R1100S I'd have gotten 150'ish KM for €20.

• Advertisement

Reminds me on my old 600 Fazer getting over 300kms a tank. FZ1 now and it drinks juice !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

GBX wrote: »
    Reminds me on my old 600 Fazer getting over 300kms a tank. FZ1 now and it drinks juice !

But it sure is fun making the fz1 drink all that petrol! :D

Hell yea! :D

Ok I have it.

My bike is unrestricted.

In case anyone is doing a search for this information I'll drop these photos here, there's very little in google on this.

The UNRESTRICTED CDI unit is marked 27G00 and the RESTRICTED is 27G10

381752.jpg

And the location of the CDI is BEHIND the battery, here;

381753.jpg
    I think I'd struggle.

There's a massive drop off in power over my last bike.

But I'm making a killing on running costs. Last fill up I got 345kms for €20, on the R1100S I'd have gotten 150'ish KM for €20.

Have you checked for after market restriction kits?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you checked for after market restriction kits?

Nah I'm not going to bother going any further now.

I just got curious the other night.

Coming from an 1100cc to a 650cc there was always going to be a massive drop in power, and I know 650's are restricted a lot so that got my curiosity up.

When my last bike was struggling to get over 160km for twenty Euro and this one is making over 300km for the same money I'm happy with whatever the engine is doing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't buy a ducati hypermotard then, I put in about €17 and get about 130km from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bet the biggest plus is not having to deal with a certain BMW dealer.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I bet the biggest plus is not having to deal with a certain BMW dealer.

I pass them on the way to and from work and curse the whores every time.

Advertisement