Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the SILMA M80 SPORTER a good buy?

Options
  • 29-03-2016 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks.
    I have been soaking your vast knowledge for the last few years. This is my first post because I can't find many reviews or information on the silma m80 sporter so please be gentle.😀

I am looking for my first shotgun mostly for clays on my own land with my own trap and maybe a bit of duck pheasant shooting for the dinner table. I found a second hand m80 in fairly good condition at my local RFD he is selling it on behalf of a customer that bought a new gun from him and will not move off his price of €600.
    It shouldered very well and fitted well all round. The timber had a a few scraps, dings, a bit of light rust on the rib and the two of the five chokes in the 30" barrel were seized.
    I shopped around and can get one new for between €800-€850 cash deal (no trade in)

My biggest questions, is silma a quality shotgun? And is the m80 a good sporter? Should I keep saving for a better known brand?

I would have imagined that buying new would have been the way to go, with only a couple of hundred of a price difference? But a friend who a has a lot of shooting experience recommend getting the second hand shotgun because there is very little in a shotgun to go wrong???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I can't tell you anything about the gun, but I would say this; Buy it new. If the dealer won't budge an inch for a gun that has 2 seized chokes, damage to the stock and some rust, then you need to go elsewhere imo. For such a small price difference...buy new. And I recently bought my first two guns second hand (shotgun and rifle). The price difference from new in both cases was more than a 50% saving......way more.

I bought a ruger 77/22 for €450 with a bushnell legend scope and harris bipod, plus it came with an extra magazine, a gun slip and a cleaning rod. All this new would have went over 1k I think.

I also bought a benelli montefeltro shotgun. Retail at £1200...bought for €550.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome aboard.

Never owned the Silma but have used one and shouldered a few. Nearly bought one over the last few months, but like you the dealer was selling on behalf of a customer and could not, rather than would not, drop the price as the customer would not take any less for it.
    The timber had a a few scraps, dings, a bit of light rust on the rib and the two of the five chokes in the 30" barrel were seized.
    All signs the gun was not well maintained. It doesn't take much to care for a shotgun or any firearm for that matter. Accidents will happen so some marks, like on the stock, can be explained from gun safes, walking through ditches, etc. However rust, seized chokes, etc. all mean the gun was not minded, cleaned after use, or had its chokes taken out to be cleaned.

If the price was really good it might be of interest, but at 20% off new price i'd steer clear.
    I shopped around and can get one new for between €800-€850 cash deal (no trade in)
    My biggest questions, is silma a quality shotgun? And is the m80 a good sporter? Should I keep saving for a better known brand?
    Won't talk to their pedigree, but they are a nice gun, well built, shoulders well for me (which is odd as not many do), and looks well.

Whether you go for a new one or better brand is up to you. I could recommend Beretta, Benelli, Perazzi but if your budget does not stretch that far or more importantly they don't shoulder well then it's a moot point.

Try a few other brands. Look around and rather than search online try some dealers. You cannot undervalue the ability to shoulder a gun and get a feel for it. A clay range would also be a good place to go, if it has an on site shop. Get tips on fit from those in the know and something you never considered might be the gun for you.
    But a friend who a has a lot of shooting experience recommend getting the second hand shotgun because there is very little in a shotgun to go wrong???
    Eh, no. no offence to your mate, but if a gun is well minded he has a point. If not there is a lot can go wrong. Rust on the internals, damaged sears, worn/rusty springs, etc. can all lead to problems and not just with the gun working but with safety.

If it were me i'd look elsewhere. One last thing, set a budget. Go looking for that budget or close to it and if you find something and the dealer won't drop (if it's only a small amount) be prepared to walk away. It's your money, and your time for licenses, etc. Pick what you want and you have to be happy with the deal as well as the gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I have one :)

At the time it was between that and a bettinsoli.
    The silma suited me better. They are a long gun (but swing really well)
    I got mine cased new for 750. I have since fitted comp n choke extended chokes and I love the thing.

It will be getting the chop at some stage this year for a dedicated LH gun (All my guns are RH but im a lefty myself)

If it fits well and you can get it sub 800 it'll serve you well! Not a sleight gun by any means and can be a weight after a few hours but you will knock all round you if you feel it fits now!

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

So you're paying 3 quarters of the price of a new gun for a used gun which by the sounds of things was poorly minded by its previous owner(s). Marks to stock are superficial and can happen anytime, but rust and seized chokes indicate the gun was not maintained to any sort of standard. My advice is you should look elsewhere, you shouldn't find it hard to get a better deal than that.

hedzball wrote: »
    At the time it was between that and a bettinsoli.
    Same as that. Were the only two guns that shouldered well, for me.

Actually if the OP is looking for a different gun for the same kind of budget then he won't go wrong with the Bettinsoli. Had two of them over the years and they are a superb gun.

Try for a second hand Diamond Deluxe. After saying that brand new they don't go much more than €1250 or so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

Thanks for the replies lads.

It seems we are all on the same page when it comes to buying new.

Too be fair to the Rfd he seems like a nice fella, its not his fault the owner has an unrealistic value. He said that he would free up the chokes and I would say the overall condition of the gun is 7/8 out of 10.

Thanks Cass, the fact that your were considering buying this model I can only take as a serous endorsement!

I am no looking for a gun with pedigree or bling (although do find myself drooling everytime I pass a Miroku).
    I am looking for a good quality shotgun that will give years of hassle free shooting.

Im also considering the baikal 30" sporter. I tried it in a different shop so couldn't compare the two side by side. I thought the baikal was a little heavier, not as nicely balanced and didn't shoulder just as well as the m80, but felt as good any other shotgun i tried!
    I learned to shoot on my dads 28" fixed choke baikal. Its had tens of thousands rounds throw it and never missed a beat.

Would the baikal sporter be a better option for a workhorse shooter?

Thanks for your write up hdz. Its unclear from you post if you are going to get your silma restocked of selling it to buy a left hander?
    if it is the former I can see PM on the horizon :)

It seems we are all on the same page when it comes to buying new.
    A good second hand gun can be much better value than buying new, but you really need to check out the gun before buying.
    Too be fair to the Rfd he seems like a nice fella, its not his fault the owner has an unrealistic value. He said that he would free up the chokes and I would say the overall condition of the gun is 7/8 out of 10.
    My own RFd has the same problem. There is a lovely gun down with him i want, but the owner is asking the same as i can buy a new one for. Not the RFd's fault and to a degree not the owners as the price for them new has dropped, but some people simply think they're gun is worth more second hand than they paid for it new.

I know a lad, not quite a friend but close, that is doing the same thing. He is selling a rifle that anyone can buy (new model too) for less than he wants for his one. Its been for sale for 2 years :rolleyes:
    Thanks Cass, the fact that your were considering buying this model I can only take as a serous endorsement!
    Jesus no lad. Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one. :D

I cannot shoot Remington, Browning, Miroku, Winchester, Baikal, Yildiz, etc. They simply don't shoulder for me. The only guns i can shoot well with or suit me are:
    • Beretta
    • Bettinsoli
    • Silma
    Now i don't know the history of Silma other than they are Italian and been around for a while. However Beretta own Bettinsoli so this might explain why both suit me. I like the look of the Silma. The "plain" matte action and nice timber.

If i had my way i'd go Beretta each time, but money does not always allow for that. The weight of the Silma did not bother me. I've used sporters all my shooting life. So with an average of 7.5 lbs weight is not an issue for me.

I'll let others discuss the Baikal. Never used one so cannot fairly comment on them.

Nothing wrong with the Baikal either! I loved the Black action one.

I'll shift it on for a LH semi. Thats kind of the latest plan ticking in my head.

If you are anywhere close to cork drop me a pm and I'll take you out to a local spot if you fancy a scope off it.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one! Instant classic 😂

Baikals are like civil wars they divide families brother against brother😉
    They seem like marmite you either love em or hate em

Unfortunately I am never in Cork I'm from north Roscommom. Where did you get the extra chokes from?

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one! Instant classic 😂

Baikals are like civil wars they divide families brother against brother😉
    They seem like marmite you either love em or hate em

Unfortunately I am never in Cork I'm from north Roscommom. Where did you get the extra chokes from?

Comp n Choke

Came pretty handy too but it was an awkward thread size iirc.

'hdz

• Advertisement
Advertisement