Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

West France NON-coastal suggestions?

• 29-03-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hey -- going to France with the missus end of May into June (first time having a pillion).

We're heading down the West coast, which we have more or less planned, as far as San Sebastian.

We need to get back to Roscoff in about 5 days or so, and obviously don't want to repeat ourselves. Time means we can't venture to far east/central, and have maybe 5 days on the bike to get up North.

Looking for suggestions of nice places to visit or stay...we will have done some of the more common places on the way down like Vannes, La Rochelle, Royan, Bordeaux, Let-et-mix, Biarritz, etc... Basically any suggestions of places a little inland would be great, thanks a million as always!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

East of Bordeaux along the Dordogne is Sarlat, which is a beautiful village. All around that area is great, so well worth the visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Bordeaux is worth a brief visit. The centre is a UNESCO site
    St Emilion. UNESCO too. Never got to visit but heard many recommendations.

As suggested by curiousb: The Dordogne: Maybe too far east but stunning villages. esp. from the river: Beynac, Le Roque Gageac, Sarlat. Defo worth the detour. Caves and caverns, prehistoric art, canoeing.
    On the Loire. Beaugency I liked but other towns may have more appeal with some famous chateau.

BTW A road not to miss when travelling via Roscoff, D769 Morlaix to Huelgoat area

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

curiousb wrote: »
    East of Bordeaux along the Dordogne is Sarlat, which is a beautiful village. All around that area is great, so well worth the visit.

Great example of something I would not have found on my own -- thanks.
    Bordeaux is worth a brief visit. The centre is a UNESCO site
    St Emilion. UNESCO too. Never got to visit but heard many recommendations.

As suggested by curiousb: The Dordogne: Maybe too far east but stunning villages. esp. from the river: Beynac, Le Roque Gageac, Sarlat. Defo worth the detour. Caves and caverns, prehistoric art, canoeing.
    On the Loire. Beaugency I liked but other towns may have more appeal with some famous chateau.

BTW A road not to miss when travelling via Roscoff, D769 Morlaix to Huelgoat area

Cheers. Have beenn Bordeaux couple of times before and going here again on the way down. But St Emilion looks good. Also, thanks for the hint on the villages by the river... Glad to know that area is interesting.

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

rat_race wrote: »
    Great example of something I would not have found on my own -- thanks.

If you do go to that area, visit Rocamadour, a stunning cliff top village close by.

Advertisement