Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 Tenancy? Joint Lease.

Options
  • 29-03-2016 6:17pm

About 13 months ago myself and a friend signed a joint one-year lease on a house. There's been no word from the Landlord which suited us fine at the time. However I'm trying figure out now what the story is with giving notice. Am I right in thinking that since we've been here over a year we have to give 6 weeks' notice? Also can one of us unilaterally serve notice or do both have to do it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You are jointly and severally liable for the lease- aka you vacate the lease- sublet with the permission of the landlord- or continue as before.

If one of you decides to leave- but not the other- the remaining party (and indeed the person leaving) continue to be liable for the whole of the rent.

Either tenant- or both tenants- are liable for the rent in its entirety.

This is a common clause- and is to protect a landlord in the case of friends who rent a property together- or a couple- who subsequently decide to go their separate ways.........

You are jointly and severally liable for the lease- aka you vacate the lease- sublet with the permission of the landlord- or continue as before.

If one of you decides to leave- but not the other- the remaining party (and indeed the person leaving) continue to be liable for the whole of the rent.

Either tenant- or both tenants- are liable for the rent in its entirety.

This is a common clause- and is to protect a landlord in the case of friends who rent a property together- or a couple- who subsequently decide to go their separate ways.........
    Thanks.
    Am I right in thinking the fact we've been here just over a year means it's 42 days notice we've to give?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks.
    Am I right in thinking the fact we've been here just over a year means it's 42 days notice we've to give?

Yes- 42 days (6 weeks).
    If your landlord is amenable- you can give a shorter notice period- however, only with the agreement of both sides.

Advertisement