Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about wifi modem/router

Options
  • 29-03-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Can you buy a wireless wifi modem in a shop, hook it up ursef without being tied down to a contract with a company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you get a 3G router, unlocked, or an ADSL one that takes a dongle, like the Vodafone HG556A, you can use with a prepay SIM. Can't think of another way, and data rates might be better on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you get a 3G router, unlocked, or an ADSL one that takes a dongle, like the Vodafone HG556A, you can use with a prepay SIM. Can't think of another way, and data rates might be better on contract.

What if you you buy a wifi dongle for say €35, do u have to sign up with a company? I see on the Harvey Norman website that it mention nothing about signing up with a company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

leemaree wrote: »
    What if you you buy a wifi dongle for say €35, do u have to sign up with a company? I see on the Harvey Norman website that it mention nothing about signing up with a company
    Which ISP do you plan on using?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Which ISP do you plan on using?

Virgin. So there is no way I can buy one without no bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

leemaree wrote: »

A dongle with no sim card in it is like a car with no petrol. You need to be using a sim from one of the network providers in it. Whether you go pay as you go or bill is up to you.

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    A dongle with no sim card in it is like a car with no petrol. You need to be using a sim from one of the network providers in it. Whether you go pay as you go or bill is up to you.

OK hanks. Just thought id ask

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jfk0000

Hi leemaree
    You don't have to sign up to any company, you can grab these SIM cards from meteor/ 3 etc ( pay as you go). without any bills/plans/nonsense

I have an unlocked pocket sized wifi router and can top up & pop in any sim I like and away I go at home or abroad

Check ebay for pocket sized unlocked wifi router
    Gather APN's fire them in
    Get a few sims and try them out.

So to summarise: (no bills) get an unlocked wifi thing (usually second hand) and use any isp you like on Pay as you go. Just fire in the apn's
    It's very easy
    Hope this helps

Advertisement