Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in JCs

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Pie and Mash

micraX wrote: »
    Some of the butchers now working at Country Crests farm shop in Jones garden center.

that is a lovely little shop.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

JC's indeed offers to deliver shopping bags.

You need to go to the off-license counter and get a delivery docket for the price of 2€.

I'm going to give it a try later this week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I've more or less stopped buying meat in JC's too, I buy it in Dublin Meat company and Aldi. JC's lean minced beef was great value but it's way more expensive now.

Getting quite fed up of JC's now , a lot of things seem to be dropping of their stock and everything is getting more expensive . Plus its now just another soulless supermarket ,Gone are the characters that you could exchange banter with . The writing is on the Wall I fear . The new Aldi and a second Lidl will be the final nail in the coffin ...:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't know: they have to move with the times as well.

I see they're hiring butchers at the moment. Since the new crowd came in, the meat is much better.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Just finished my shopping there (what a change to actually go into a shop rather than ordering online) and I liked the butcher, he was great and the meat looked good, same for the deli, very helpful in finding me something I liked.

As to the rest of the shop, I have to agree, it's not as good or cheap anymore. Most items I usually shop are now significant more expensive compared to Tesco/Supervalu/Dunnes.

There are still some items that are way cheaper, but it's getting less and less and also the choice is getting worse.

They always had some stuff you could not get elsewhere (like Best of Both Milk) but that is no longer there.

As to delivery, once you have paid and packed, you need to go to the off license counter, pay the delivery fee (2€) and fill out a sticker which is attached to one of your bags. The trolley is than put aside and goods will be delivered. They say that you should not do chilled/frozen/fresh produce but I saw trolleys with such items waiting for delivery.

My shop showed up 20 minutes after I left the store (I barley made it home as I walked).

Overall, I burned loads of calories doing the shopping but I am not having a good feeling about JC's anymore. I might go back to shopping elsewhere where there is more stable pricing.

So I won't be back.

I purchased some expensive Rump Steak Burgers (2.50€ each) and they were supposed to be good until 28 August, when I tried them yesterday they were gone bad despite being stored correctly.

I than went on to the turkey stir fry which is good until 29 August and again it had to go straight to the brown bin.

The butchers quality is simple bad. Wasted trip and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mutley2009

Has anyone else heard that JCs have sold out to Dunnes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mutley2009 wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard that JCs have sold out to Dunnes

No. Where did you hear it?

Really? Do you have a link?

ETA: I see Blindboy from the Rubberbandits wore a JCs bag on the LateLate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There have been lots of rumours lately about JC's closing down and/or selling up. My husband asked one of the managers who he knows quite well last week and he said they're not true.

As far as I can remember when they built the new supermarket and Dunnes came on board, they gave an undertaking that if they were ever selling up they'd give Dunnes first offer.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    Really? Do you have a link?

ETA: I see Blindboy from the Rubberbandits wore a JCs bag on the LateLate.

They always wear JCs bags, I've always thought that was hilarious :D

Did anyone notice the prices have jumped in JC's recently ?:mad::mad:

Well they need to finance the 10€ of your next weeks 50€ shop somehow.

Isn't that ending this week anyway?

It wasn't much use to me - shopping rarely gets over €50 two weeks in a row.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sharkman wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the prices have jumped in JC's recently ?:mad::mad:

Yes, I've noticed - and I find I'm shopping there less than I used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Isn't that ending this week anyway?

It wasn't much use to me - shopping rarely gets over €50 two weeks in a row.

Going up to the end of December from what I've seen. 

It's getting harder and harder to justify going to JC's recently . Along with rising prices I'm finding it hard to find items which were stocked in the past . They seem to be cutting back on so many lines that it makes sense to shop elsewhere .

By the way if you see a red dot on the price tag of an item your purchasing , this means its being discontinued , on my trip around this morning there were loads . An example below . (What supermarket does NOT stock Tobasco ? )

abpVXbVb.jpg

It's such a pity. We don't shop there much now - and we used to go every week, with only the monthly trip to Aldi.

When Fergal Quinn did that tv programme on JC's he advised them to clear all the clutter, wall of bargains etc but they didn't. They really should concentrate on being a good, well-stocked supermarket and not on sourcing all that stuff they sell off. Most of it is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Unfortunately, and I've always loved jcs and been an advocate for maintaining locally owned shops, I think the writing is on the wall for jcs even if they implement all of Feargal Quinn's recommendations. When tesco arrives it will probably be the straw that breaks the camel's back

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Just seen today that they’re embarking on a large refurbishment. Judging by the plans they seem to be going more upmarket. Looks great however! Really hope it works out for them. http://jcsupermarket.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/CombinedVisuals18April18.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Has anyone been in recently? Wondering if they’ve started the revamp yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Has anyone been in recently? Wondering if they’ve started the revamp yet

Yeah popped in when in the area. They looked to have abandoned the pile it high approach on the shelves. Lots of shelves in the middle empty which isn't a good look. I hope they can make a real go at it and do what is needed to stay relevant and viable, and if that means stripping back to basics, then so be it.

They're doing it section by section - more modern shelving units. Should look very good when done.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They're also putting in a new floor so it's all looking a bit messy at the moment, but lots of improvements going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

the other day I was talking to a couple of girls who work there and they said they cant see JC's being there in 4/5 years. they also said stuff could go up in price to cover the costs of the refurbishment and coffee shop that is going in.

So I went into JCs today and did not recognize the place.

They seam to have done a major revamp and while the shouting announcer is still present overall it's cleaner and more structured than before.

They also had some of deals that made the trip work for me. Not everything is cheap but some things are significant cheaper than at other places.

I will be back to the place giving how easy it was and the bargain I got.

Advertisement