Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Easter Rising Dublin City 5KM - 24TH April

Options
  • 29-03-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

"DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL and Athletics Ireland have today launched a unique 5km run which will take place on the streets of Dublin to commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising.

The event will see runners take in some of the capital’s most iconic sites on Sunday, 24 April.

Starting at Mountyjoy Square at 9am, the route weaves its way from the north side of the city – via the GPO, Liberty Hall and the Four Courts – before finishing at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham.

All participants will receive a commemorative t-shirt and entry is just €10"

Enter here -

https://www.fitmagazine.ie/magazine/article/dublin-city-council-launch-unique-5k-run-to-commemorate-the-1916-rising

Seems like a great route thru the city:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Looks kind of interesting... but are you supposed to carry your post-race gear with you? The finish is a long way from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Singer wrote: »
    Looks kind of interesting... but are you supposed to carry your post-race gear with you? The finish is a long way from the start.

5 kilometers is not a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Great to see this happening. Shame it's not a half marathon or longer. But hey, it's a start! I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

uvox wrote: »
    5 kilometers is not a long way.

I thought that was a fair enough question to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Looks like a very interesting one. Hopefully I'll be able to run it. I'm assuming there will be a van or whatever to transport people's gear from the start to the finish? (e.g. Jingle Bells) since to be fair there is a decent distance between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Like the look of this. Rare enough to get a chance to run in town. Might be a good place for a post-Boston recovery run.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Nice idea and good value. I'll probably just do it as part of my weekly long run but I'd hope they have a system in place to get people back to the start or, at the very least, to transport their gear across to the finish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Does anyone know the age limit to enter this please? I have a 16 year old lad wanting to do this with me.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the age limit to enter this please? I have a 16 year old lad wanting to do this with me.
    Thanks

When you are registering you have to confirm you are over 18 - have seen loads on questions on this on Facebook, but so far no answers. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Start time for this one has been changed to 8am as per the Facebook event. Very early start for everyone now to get there in time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Start time for this one has been changed to 8am as per the Facebook event. Very early start for everyone now to get there in time!

Got a mail about this earlier today. Extremely early for me. And it's not very nice that they change it after people have signed up for it. I'll still do it though as the route looks terrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

FIFA2004 wrote: »

I think the last minute and confusion is in keeping with 1916.

Although someone called Eoin MacNeill has said the race is cancelled. Probably won't stop Dublin runners showing up though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

From the facebook page.
    Athletics Ireland There will be a bag drop at the start line which will close @ 7:45am. Bags will then be transported to the finish line for participants to collect after the race.

Also...
    RACE NUMBER COLLECTION INFORMATION!
    Dublin Remembers 1916 5K number collection will take place in Temple Bar.
    Address:
    Smock Alley Court, Essex St West, Dublin – opposite Runlogic
    Times:
    Friday 22nd April- 10:00-18:00
    Saturday 23rd April – 10:00- 18:00

More news...
    **Shuttle Bus Announcement**
    A free shuttle service will be provided from the Royal Hospital Kilmainham to Mountjoy Square after the race.
    Last bus will depart from the Royal Hospital KIlmainham @ 10:00am.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Race seems to be a bit of a mess. How are people getting to the start?

Is there any race number collection on the morning of the race does anyone know?

Going to cycle in myself, or drive if its bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Now that there's a shuttle bus announcement I've signed up. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

I see a 1 mile race has been added to the event, taking place just before the main 5k race.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I'll jog the few miles into town as a warm-up, then do the race, then jog home as a cool down. That'll be my Sunday-morning long run and a short race done in one go, with no messing with bag drops or shuttle buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Number pickup has now changed as well.

Number collection will take place at Elverys Sports, Dublin Arnotts, 12 Henry Street Dublin 1 on Thursday 20th April between 12:00 & 20:00, Friday 22nd April between 10:00 & 18:00 and Saturday 23rd April between 10:00 and 18:00.
    Elverys Sports is offering all participants 20% discount off all full items in the Elverys Sports Arnotts store.
    This event is designed as a run rather than a competitive race therefore it will not be chip timed. Timing clocks will be in position on both the start and finish gantries.
    We are encouraging all runners to wear their commemorative T-shirt during the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

I'm not used to driving into the city centre - does anyone know what's the story with parking? I had a look, and it seems like a lot of the multi-storey car parks don't open til later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

aceygray wrote: »
    I'm not used to driving into the city centre - does anyone know what's the story with parking? I had a look, and it seems like a lot of the multi-storey car parks don't open til later in the day.

On street parking is free on Sundays.

aceygray wrote:

Q Park Clerys is open 24 hours and is only about a 2 min walk to the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭aceygray

Great - thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rosie_c

Anyone interested in marshalling at this race?! Early hour on a Sunday morning but you get to exert power in a high vis jacket... Posting on behalf of an organiser.... PM if this sounds like fun to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Does anyone know if there's a shuttle bus from Kilmainham back to Mountjoy Sq AND a baggage shuttle service or just one? I'd prefer to pick up my baggage at Kilmainham and go home from there but I dunno if it's an option.

Does anyone know if there's a shuttle bus from Kilmainham back to Mountjoy Sq AND a baggage shuttle service or just one? I'd prefer to pick up my baggage at Kilmainham and go home from there but I dunno if it's an option.
    Bags will be transported from the start line to Kilmainham so yeah you should be fine getting your bag there.

I got my number and T shirt today, I actually got it for a mate as well. No Q at all, in saying that I was just after 1 and I think they only started at 1.

• Advertisement

Gets even better:
    Complimentary Tea & Coffee:
    Every participant will receive a complimentary tea or coffee @ the finish line this Sunday for the Dublin Remembers 1916 5K.

Advertisement