Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult Tenant

Options
  • 29-03-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am a landlord, and I have a tenant ( Mary) there since mid 2014, first 6 months were honky dorey, then it started where Mary was late in paying rent (typically 1 month behind and paying in installmets), then in Jan of this year Mary stopped paying, she would not answer her phone when I called her. Called to the house a few times but she would not answer the door. I procedded with the warning letters as outined in the PTRB website and the upshot of all this is I issued Mary with a final evicition notice for mid April.
    So my question is what happens if Mary is still there after the evicition date?, can I freely enter the house and remove her? Also she had two chrildren which may complicate things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Unfortunately you can't. You will have to get a prtb judgment against her and enforcing that is difficult. Under no circumstances should you enter the property or change the locks unless you have very deep pockets. Because believe it or not that would view classed as an illegal eviction. Consult a solicitor in the event that she overholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bobby lingen

if the ptrb judge againt her, then is it the ptrb who carry out the evicition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

if the ptrb judge againt her, then is it the ptrb who carry out the evicition?

No,

The PRTB will basically give your permission to sue for eviction in a court. It can take up to a year to get an overholding tenant out of a property.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

being a landlord in this country is a sham. non paying tenants should be able to be turfed out after 60 days by force. OP i feel for you, this is going to be a difficult process.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Talk to a solicitor on the costing of all eviction methods, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are you sure she is still there?
    You say you went to the property a number of times- but the door was never answered, and the tenant isn't answering her phone.
    Are you sure she is still there?
    Independently of any other action- I would approach the local Garda community officer- advice him of your lack of any contact with the tenant and your failure to gain admission to the property- and request that he/she independently make sure all is in order. Where there is no contact whatsoever, and you can't gain access to the property- it is worrying- there could be something seriously wrong.

Thereafter- lodge a case with the PRTB- they're a lot faster with cases now (they've a weekly meeting)- and allow the process to follow its course.

being a landlord in this country is a sham. non paying tenants should be able to be turfed out after 60 days by force. OP i feel for you, this is going to be a difficult process.

Its absolute madness how tenants were ever given so much power when it comes to not paying etc. 60 days is even too much, after the 14 days notice of arrears and 28 days termination notice is up you should be able to land a tenant out on their ear along with all their stuff. Absolute madness the way things are at the moment with LLs getting into trouble with their mortgages etc because of terrible tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I agree. I think the system would be easier for decent tenants if ones who don't pay could be turfed out legally in 60 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It sucks on both sides, for instance my estate agent doesn't answer emails, take calls and so on ( if you ring the main office you are told to contact the guy there that won't talk to you - who happens to own the estate agents). So we have a huge list of problems and literally nothing we can do about it. And you can say "just move", our last estate agent wasn't any better and everywhere sucks atm. Oh to have an actual landlord again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Talk to a solicitor on the costing of all eviction methods, tbh.

This.

After the garda liaison (to confirm that the tenant isn't lying dead inside the property, or been sent to prison), then consider your options.

Some professional LL's choose to minimise their loses by providing a good reference and paying the tenant to leave. I know you don't what to do this, but it may be the best way to get the rental income flowing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

This.

After the garda liaison (to confirm that the tenant isn't lying dead inside the property, or been sent to prison), then consider your options.

Some professional LL's choose to minimise their loses by providing a good reference and paying the tenant to leave. I know you don't what to do this, but it may be the best way to get the rental income flowing again.

Are you serious, they would pay a tenant to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

mel123 wrote: »

Yes. Makes sense in some situations. Assume rent of €1500/month, tenant can't/won't pay. With legal evictions taking approximately a year to happen, loss = €18000. You'll never see it. Offer tenant €4000 to get out, it's a months rent, deposit and €1000 cash. They'll probably take it, and you can cut your losses and get the property back sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

mel123 wrote: »

As disgusting as this sounds and is, it is sometimes the cheapest option to take. Short term pain for long term gain. Often times, a difficult tenant will dig in even deeper if the landlord decides to play hardball with them. This can result in over a years loss of rental income, along with expensive repairs to the property.

It is rare for a landlord to recoup anywhere close to all of this money from the exiting tenant in a timely fashion. Sometimes a landlord has to write off the majority of this as a loss.

Thank you all for your responses, to answer a few: our solicitor suggested the same thing, pay her off. In respect to ‘is Mary still there’, yes I believe she is as there was light on a few nights ago. Solicitor warned us to not enter unless prior agreement as this can cause problems.

I just hate dealing with any of our state agencies, the stories you hear. This is the first time I had to deal with one and it beggers belief that it is the landlords who pay into the ptrb but yet can loose upto 1 years rent from a non paying tenant before the can be evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

This.

It is a terrible situation and completely unfair to the landlord but I'd really hate to think that any landlord that has been abused financially like that would provide a 'good reference' allowing Mary to do the same thing to others. I always look for what's unsaid in a reference rather than what's said so I would hope any landlord in such a situation would be really really careful with the wording.l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

This country is ridiculous. She should be evicted after 60 days or 2 months rent, by force if necessary. That nonsense should be deemed as trespassing, it is your property after all. The majority of landlords are good people and many give leeway if there is financial difficulties but she is taking advantage. Landlords are the source of the rental market, respect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Elemonator wrote: »
    This country is ridiculous. She should be evicted after 60 days or 2 months rent, by force if necessary. That nonsense should be deemed as trespassing, it is your property after all. The majority of landlords are good people and many give leeway if there is financial difficulties but she is taking advantage. Landlords are the source of the rental market, respect them.

It's the tenant's dwelling. Rightly or wrongly very strong protections exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Elemonator wrote: »

I'd agree. If a tenant genuinely falls on hard times and has trouble making the rent (and can prove this), I think the landlord should be legally obliged to arrange some sort of reduced payment plan with the tenant for a finite period, say six months. After this time, the landlord has the legal right to serve notice if they want to.

If a tenant WON'T pay their rent for no good reason other than they just refuse to or can't be arsed, the landlord should have the legal right to turf them out after (for instance) three months, following a warning process after the first month of non-payment. I'm talking just turning up at the door on a specified date with the police or bailiff/sheriff, walking in changing the locks and literally turn the occupants out on the street by whatever means necessary. If they don't have anywhere to go, tough. If they wreck the house before being evicted, they should be arrested and fined for damages, and this fine enforced by taking it from their wages or social welfare payments until the damage is paid off.

Wishful thinking I guess though.

If she doesn't answer the phone, doesn't answer the door, pays no rent, surely you must fear for her well being. If you think she may have suffered an emergency you must certainly be justified in entering the property to check all is OK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Its absolute madness how tenants were ever given so much power when it comes to not paying etc. 60 days is even too much, after the 14 days notice of arrears and 28 days termination notice is up you should be able to land a tenant out on their ear along with all their stuff. Absolute madness the way things are at the moment with LLs getting into trouble with their mortgages etc because of terrible tenants.

You sound like my father. He's a landlord. He bought his properties with inherited money, didn't borrow from a bank. Still feels very hard done by all the same.

His opinion is tenants should be turfed out on the street at the landlords behest and with no process. But he's also of the opinion that respectable people with mortgages they can't pay should left alone by the bank (respectable people have homes and deserve protection, tenants are mud people who respectable landlords need protection from). He also believes farmers who get in debt should be allowed to keep their farms. To sum up what he is; he's an entitled snob. He has some chip on his shoulder, be the jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Myself and wife were thinking of renting our house out for a year while we travel the world.

Ideally we will try and rent to a friend but failing that the general public.

So we would be looking for a 1 year lease and then we'd be moving back in when we get back. Does this scenario differ from the OP's legally?

If Joe blogs decided he didn't want to leave when we get back? Could he sue me after I drag him out of my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If Joe blogs decided he didn't want to leave when we get back? Could he sue me after I drag him out of my house?

Yes and would be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Myself and wife were thinking of renting our house out for a year while we travel the world.

Ideally we will try and rent to a friend but failing that the general public.

So we would be looking for a 1 year lease and then we'd be moving back in when we get back. Does this scenario differ from the OP's legally?

Only way round that would be to rent a room and still have a room in property which would mean very little rights for the renter.

Renting property works very well for some and it seems a lot of the time the LL you would dream to have are the ones that get burnt.

I am very surprised with the laws as a lot of politicians and the likes have many properties commercial and domestic.

I’m no expert here, but initial procedure is 14 days notice and then 28 days eviction notice, you have the bones of 2 months there. If after the 2 months the tenant is still there then I assume you need to go through the legal process and you are into the lap of the gods at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

It's the tenant's dwelling. Rightly or wrongly very strong protections exist.

In the case of bad behaviour by the tenant, the protections are clearly too strong.

The cost is bourne by landlords first, but other tenants also, where potential landlords are discouraged from renting, or existing landlords sell up.

There should be public register of delinquent tenants. The state should have no responsibility to house previously delinquent tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

slowjoe17 wrote: »
    There should be public register of delinquent tenants. The state should have no responsibility to house previously delinquent tenants.

Fine fighting words.

But where do you seriously expect people whose behaviour gets them onto the list to go?

Are you happy to have them sleeping on the street - because that is pretty much the only option you have left for them, unless they can get themselves into prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

slowjoe17 wrote: »
    In the case of bad behaviour by the tenant, the protections are clearly too strong.

The cost is bourne by landlords first, but other tenants also, where potential landlords are discouraged from renting, or existing landlords sell up.

It's an historic issue with routes in British rule etc. etc. That said there is absolutely no reason why the government can't legislate.
    Fine fighting words.

But where do you seriously expect people whose behaviour gets them onto the list to go?

Are you happy to have them sleeping on the street - because that is pretty much the only option you have left for them, unless they can get themselves into prison.

They can do what happens in the states, get family/sugar daddies/idiot friends to stand guarantor and ruin their credit too. Once they're in the worst part of Dublin renting a room in a house with two drunks and someone on the sex offender register perhaps it'll sink in that what goes around comes around.

While I don't agree the state should abandon them, sticking a few tents in Phoenix park until the situation can be resolved through building and recommissioning derelict council property shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Personal responsibility is sadly lacking in Ireland.

Obviously I'm going to a ridiculous extreme here but it's about time proper measures were taken such as a proper credit referencing and a proper eviction system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ If all that happened, the state would have to step up big-time. Never going to happen.

Landlords might be better served by accepting rent-supplement tenants. Half a loaf and all that.

The above may show how little I know about the residential rental market, but it's my 2c anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Is the tenant in question getting rent allowance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Esel wrote: »
    Landlords might be better served by accepting rent-supplement tenants. Half a loaf and all that.
    If the rent-supplemented tenant stops paying the rent, they keep getting money from the state, and the landlord gets nothing.
    Is the tenant in question getting rent allowance
    Even she is, due to data laws, the state can't talk to the landlord, and I doubt the landlord will be able to stop her from getting her rent supplement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement