Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block beside riverpoint, time for development

• 29-03-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, it's bugging me more and more everytime I pass this block, does anyone know who owns it?
    It's completely dilapidated and a development like riverpoint would be ideal for the area with maybe a view to put in a mix or residential and commercial.
    I know its been talked about but I think something needs to be done given the location and remodelled Street there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

dave 27 wrote: »
    Hi guys, it's bugging me more and more everytime I pass this block, does anyone know who owns it?
    It's completely dilapidated and a development like riverpoint would be ideal for the area with maybe a view to put in a mix or residential and commercial.
    I know its been talked about but I think something needs to be done given the location and remodelled Street there

Is that the old ESB site you're talking about? I'd love to another highrise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

I think it is, it used to be a petrol station I think. Is there anything the public can do to help encourage development there? I'd love to know who owns it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

That'd be Henry Street Garda Station. Good luck building a high rise there. The old ESB place is 2 blocks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Do the guards own that tho? I know they were looking to expand but woukd it not make sence doing something with it?

testicle wrote: »
    That'd be Henry Street Garda Station. Good luck building a high rise there. The old ESB place is 2 blocks up.

The Garda station isn't dilapidated like the op mentions so I think he means the ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

During the Celtic Tiger there were plans for the Garda Station to be moved. Maybe those could be resurrected.

The old ESB building is a prime site for development though. It's interesting that the council are buying up so many vacant sites and developing them, but not this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

The guards had plans to extend henry st upwards with two extra floors but they were refused planning.They now have two floors in the Eircom building next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

If the ESB site, the derelict Dunnes on Sarsfield bridge, Cleeves factory and the awful building beside Arthurs Quay were all knocked and redeveloped it would be one hell of a change to the riverfront.

Red King wrote: »
    If the ESB site, the derelict Dunnes on Sarsfield bridge, Cleeves factory and the awful building beside Arthurs Quay were all knocked and redeveloped it would be one hell of a change to the riverfront.

One of the real missed opportunities on the riverfront was Harvey's Quay (Milanos, new Dunnes Stores). It's a god awfully ****e building for such a good site.

As for the old Dunnes Stores, there won't be anything happening with that for a while. Apparently the council tried to engage with Dunnes but negotiations fell apart and the relationship soured.

zulutango wrote: »
    One of the real missed opportunities on the riverfront was Harvey's Quay (Milanos, new Dunnes Stores). It's a god awfully ****e building for such a good site.

Speaking of Harvey's Quay and Milano, has anyone ever noticed the large unit overhead Milano but underneath the apartments. It's been empty since it was built. I'm surprised an office or something has never gone in there. There doesn't appear to be any wheelchair access though so maybe that's why.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Harvey's Quay and Milano, has anyone ever noticed the large unit overhead Milano but underneath the apartments. It's been empty since it was built. I'm surprised an office or something has never gone in there. There doesn't appear to be any wheelchair access though so maybe that's why.

There was an application for planning permission a few months back to do some work with the stairs and lift. They might be gearing up to get some retail or offices in there. Planning number is 15701 if you want to check it out.

You are right. That building basically just continued the habit of our riverfront being ignored, the back of the building has what, two retail units? One of which is Milano, which for some reason just looks like the most boring restaurant on the planet. I don't know why, but I'd never be encouraged to go in there it always looks deserted.

Actually looking at it there on google maps it is just downright depressing to see the beautiful riverfront from Riverpoint to Pier One all but deserted and devoid of life. You have Milano and Cafe Crust and nothing else. The whole front there should be lined with cafes, bars and shops.

They've made a complete balls of it.

yep, they made a total balls of the river front there. And I think the more recent public realm work was a bit of a **** up too. For some bizarre reason they kept two lanes for traffic and that meant that in order to have a spacious pedestrian area they had to have a boardwalk out over the river. It looks hideous from the other side of the river, it's difficult to maintain to any decent standard, it cost a fortune and they did completely compromised the integrity of a historic quay wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It appears that the Cleeves site is at least being considered for development according to this week's Leader.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/205006/Former-Cleeve-s-factory-in-Limerick.html

Given the big plans for the Cleeves site, the obvious place to put an iconic footbridge, seeing as they're so intent on it, is across the river from O'Callaghan Strand to Howley's Quay rather than in the very sensitive location they're gunning for. This seems to have escaped the brains in the city council though.

Given the big plans for the Cleeves site, the obvious place to put an iconic footbridge, seeing as they're so intent on it, is across the river from O'Callaghan Strand to Howley's Quay rather than in the very sensitive location they're gunning for. This seems to have escaped the brains in the city council though.

I think while a better choice than what is proposed it would still ruin the three bridge look of our riverfront.

And a footbridge anywhere as accessible and visible as the proposed location or your suggestion would quickly turn into a suicide hotspot given the epidemic of suicides and attempts from the current bridges in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

And a footbridge anywhere as accessible and visible as the proposed location or your suggestion would quickly turn into a suicide hotspot given the epidemic of suicides and attempts from the current bridges in place.

There is very much an over-fixation on the river when it comes to commentary on the issue of suicide in Limerick. The problem is far deeper and more complex than that and the provision of adequate mental health facilities and resources is the way to attempt to address it. There are a myriad of reasons why people take their own lives and these need to be understood and tackled.

Opposition to a footbridge wherever it may be for fear that people might throw themselves off it completely misses the point. No doubt it's well-intentioned but it's as misguided as the call a few years back to erect large barriers all along the riverside to prevent people jumping in!

I think while a better choice than what is proposed it would still ruin the three bridge look of our riverfront.

Do you think so? I'm not sure but I wouldn't have considered it nearly as sensitive a vista as where they're proposing to put one.

I'd agree with Vanquished on his point. The suicide issue is more complex than simply limiting the places where people can throw themselves into the river from.

Do you think so? I'm not sure but I wouldn't have considered it nearly as sensitive a vista as where they're proposing to put one.

I'd agree with Vanquished on his point. The suicide issue is more complex than simply limiting the places where people can throw themselves into the river from.

Yeah there is a nice balance at the moment with the three bridges. I don't see any need for a footbridge along the river. The three existing bridges are not that far apart as it is.

As for the suicide thing, yeah of course it is more complex than that but from the emergency services point of view I was thinking a footbridge would perhaps make things more awkward in terms of reacting to reports of someone in trouble. I mean, you regularly see the fire service stopped on the bridge when someone is in the water, a foot bridge means they would have to stop a distance away and get there on foot. Time can make all the difference in these situations regarding talking someone down or rescuing them from the water.

Just an idea, I know the emergency services would have their own more informed opinion on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

dave 27 wrote: »
    Eircom building or garda station? Eircom building is scary, remember being in a flat there about 15 years ago and my god the lift.

There's a tonne of ugly as **** buildings in Limerick which should knocked. First on my list is Arthur's Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Eircom building or garda station? Eircom building is scary, remember being in a flat there about 15 years ago and my god the lift.

There's a tonne of ugly as **** buildings in Limerick which should knocked. First on my list is Arthur's Quay.
    Sarsfield house. The old dunnes. City hall / courts monstrosity next to castle. Several buildings in the eircom building, garda station area*. Arthurs Quay wouldn't be high on my list, it's no beauty but there's much worse.

*seems the esb building may be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

There's a prime site between Henry Street and the river crying out to be re-developed. The ESB building was sold early last year but nothing has happened in the meantime. The former Eircom office contributes nothing to the streetscape and needs to be either extensively refurbished or replaced. The 1970s Garda HQ with the car park to the rear is a hopelessly wasteful use of an important site and a new location for a modern divisional Garda headquarters needs to be found so the existing site can be redeveloped. Unfortunately though some funding has been allocated recently for refurbishments so it looks like it's staying put for the time being.

There is the potential for a cluster of high quality office and residential accommodation on those sites which would bring more investment, jobs and residents in to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Vanquished wrote: »
    There's a prime site between Henry Street and the river crying out to be re-developed. The ESB building was sold early last year but nothing has happened in the meantime. The former Eircom office contributes nothing to the streetscape and needs to be either extensively refurbished or replaced. The 1970s Garda HQ with the car park to the rear is a hopelessly wasteful use of an important site and a new location for a modern divisional Garda headquarters needs to be found so the existing site can be redeveloped. Unfortunately though some funding has been allocated recently for refurbishments so it looks like it's staying put for the time being.

There is the potential for a cluster of high quality office and residential accommodation on those sites which would bring more investment, jobs and residents in to the city centre.

The Maternity Hospital on the Ennis Road is due to be relocated at some stage to Dooradoyle. The current Maternity site would be a perfect relocation for Henry Street Garda Station for both size and location. Along with the Hanging Gardens development, the redevelopment of that block from the Garda Station down to the ESB building has the potential to rejuvenate both Henry Street and the Waterfront. Whatever gets built facing the waterfront should only be of the highest quality, should be architecturally spectacular and unique, should complement the current high rises Riverpoint and Clarion and at street level the priority should be cafés, restaurants and bars so as to develop a genuine waterfront tourist/visitor destination area. Hopefully the mistakes of the past have been learned and buildings like Steamboat Quay, Clohesseys Bar and Dunnes Howley's Quay will never be allowed to be built again. Steamboat Quay in particular is a monstrosity that needs bulldozing.

The Clarion should never have been permitted in that location. Awful eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

The Clarion should never have been permitted in that location. Awful eyesore.

Because it is blocking the view of the dump behind it?
    No issues with the clarion or riverpoint myself

phill106 wrote: »
    Because it is blocking the view of the dump behind it?
    No issues with the clarion or riverpoint myself

It's way too dominant for where it is. If it was a more impressive building, I'd say fair enough, but it's really not that impressive. Also, if there were other tall buildings around it then it wouldn't be so bad.

Townie_P wrote: »
    Hopefully the mistakes of the past have been learned and buildings like Steamboat Quay, Clohesseys Bar and Dunnes Howley's Quay will never be allowed to be built again. Steamboat Quay in particular is a monstrosity that needs bulldozing.

The mistakes of the past won't be learned so long as there is no city architect / urban design office with executive functions in the city hall. At the moment the development of the city is been overseen by people who are not qualified to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's way too dominant for where it is. If it was a more impressive building, I'd say fair enough, but it's really not that impressive. Also, if there were other tall buildings around it then it wouldn't be so bad.

I have to agree with phill106 and totally disagree with this. I think the Clarion looks great where it is and it's not exactly far from the Riverpoint building. Both look great as you come across the Shannon bridge. It's just a pity that the Garda station and the ESB site are in such a poor state as, in my opinion, from across the river the the quays from Sarsfield Bridge to the Clarion look very well.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with phill106 and totally disagree with this. I think the Clarion looks great where it is and it's not exactly far from the Riverpoint building. Both look great as you come across the Shannon bridge. It's just a pity that the Garda station and the ESB site are in such a poor state as, in my opinion, from across the river the the quays from Sarsfield Bridge to the Clarion look very well.

The building at Harvey's Quay (Milano's, Dunnes Stores) is a real blemish on that waterfront. The Bridgewater apartments are pretty damn poor too. Seamus Carr's building (Clohessy's, etc) and Riverpoint are good though. And at least the two sites you mentioned haven't been developed yet, so there's hope for those. The boardwalk is a real eyesore from across the river and that's a shame because it was very unnecessary. A much less expensive and less ugly public realm job could have been done there without needing to build the boardwalk.

Advertisement