Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockathon 2016

Options
  • 29-03-2016 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Is anybody going to this year's Rockathon at Fairyhouse? They've moved the event from it's usual home of the first Saturday of September to the third Saturday of August. This is a wise move in my opinion as it has always clashed with Electric Picnic and it can't have helped their attendance figures, which weren't exactly promising as they were. Moving the event to August is a great start to try and remedy the issues which have plagued it since the inaugural festival in 2014 (largely, poor attendance). But there are still a few things which need tweaking in order to turn it around:

1. The tickets are now on sale, but nobody knows who is playing at the event apart from one confirmed act who announced their involvement through their own channels and not that of Rockathon's (Hotter Than Hell, a KISS tribute). Guys, you're not Electric Picnic, you don't have the loyal following as of yet to assume 'Build it and they will come'. You need to keep your audience in the loop.

2. Advertising. Practically nonexistent apart from Facebook and (possibly) the odd mention on Nova. There is a market for what you're offering, but if nobody knows it's happening you've failed before you've even begun. The organisers clearly have deep enough pockets as they can't have broken even the last two times out, yet they're back for another outing this year. Put more money into your advertising! Nova and Facebook isn't enough! Maybe extend your ads to other stations or run a TV commercial?

I'm not not trying to run it down, I think it's a great little festival and I want to see it succeed. Granted, they have introduced new elements to make it more interesting such as the acoustic stage at last year's event (a major win on their part) and now, from what I have heard, a slot for new up and coming acts to showcase their stuff on the main stage. Again, a great idea. However, it needs to be communicated to the masses more effectively. I will be attending Rockathon 2016 as I have every year since it's inception. And I'm sure I'll enjoy it as I've done each time before. But please! Make it the event it deserves to be, get the numbers up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I've never heard of it but it can't have much going for it as a festival if they're booking a KISS tribute act. And I'm a KISS fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

I went last year. It's a great day out, but the drink choices are s***e.

Clonmel lager or cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭andyoz

I heard about it a few months back when a punter showed me it on his phone at a tribute act gig. I'm coming down from the North with a mate. Lineup looks fine to me (even KISS as Dynasty was my first record purchase). Would there be any crack camping afterwoods. I'm tempted to camp and fill a few coolers with ice/booze and hope it last all day/night?? I assume someone will have tunes cranked in the campsite!!

I'm trying to spread the word with my fella northerns anyway It would be good to see it go well.

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Booked into this- sounds like a good laugh and going to camp and watch the McGregor fight (if I can stay awake)

Know nothing about it other than the line up but with a bit of nice weather, it'll be a good day I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

how are you going to watch the McGregor fight, on a laptop in a field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Muahahaha wrote: »
    how are you going to watch the McGregor fight, on a laptop in a field?

They have a UFC Fanzone, watch it on a big screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

40e for a bunch of cover bands? Pfffffffft.

Meshuggah is 30e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aidan7990

Well firstly I am also one of the original attendees of rockathon. In answer to first post on this the advertising is only on nova because it is being organised by nova so makes no sense for them to pay other stations.

Camping is a must having done it both years. Bring cans and u will have great time after the gigs are done although do have say it is very hard to last all day without some break from drinking.

Drink is limited cause the venue i.e racecourses always limited sue to sponsors and such.

Look forward to seeing ye there I will one of 2 lads going nuts when acdc band are on. For those about to rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cortezfloyd

Hi, I've never been before. Can we bring cans and vodka in if we're not camping?

Advertisement