Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS in UCC

Options
  • 29-03-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I'm currently in fifth year and I'm thinking about doing BIS in UCC next year. I've just a few questions about the course of anyway would be able to answer them. I'm doing Business, Economics and Accounting in school and choose these as I love Business and am pretty certain that's the career path I'll be following.

• My sister is in first year commerce international in UCC and told me that there's a high dropout rate in BIS as people don't understand how difficult it is. I'm doing ordinary maths and I am hopeless at maths so just wondering is this a major problem or?

• I enjoy computers but obviously I don't have much experience. Would I be able to do a few tutorials online to get a head start.

• If I don't go with BIS I'm looking at doing commerce without a language instead. I'm anxious though that I'll find this boring as its so broad and not enjoy my course. Also looking into doing Food Marketing and entrepreneurship but I don't do any science subjects for my leaving cert and I am quite poor at science but I do have an interest in nutrition and health.

Sorry to sound very eager but I've tried lots of researching but haven't been satisfied with the answers. Would appreciate some help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

BIS is a fantastic couse in ucc, my brother did it and has a hugely successful career. I highly recommend it.

It is a combination of computer science and business, you can choose your modules to be more business focussed than computing. Pay close attention to the modules you go for. Your math's can't be as hopeless as you think if you are doing well in those subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Do you enjoy maths?

If you despise it then the modules with computer programming will be frustrating.
    If you don't mind the maths so much then the programming will be less of a burden.

While the programming would not be as intensive as a Computer Science course, it is certainly a significant part of the BIS course. Each year for us focused on a different language.
    I've never liked maths. The programming was a difficult for me.
    Particularly learning a new one each year instead of mastering 1/2 languages instead.

You will get tutorials but you're own work ethic will determine your success. You won't be spoon fed the answers essentially.
    My work ethic in hindsight was extremely poor. That coupled with a lack of love for the maths left me frustrated. The material will be presented but your work ethic will need to be on point if you don't like maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 itech

valoren wrote: »
    Do you enjoy maths?

If you despise it then the modules with computer programming will be frustrating.
    If you don't mind the maths so much then the programming will be less of a burden.

While the programming would not be as intensive as a Computer Science course, it is certainly a significant part of the BIS course. Each year for us focused on a different language.
    I've never liked maths. The programming was a difficult for me.
    Particularly learning a new one each year instead of mastering 1/2 languages instead.

You will get tutorials but you're own work ethic will determine your success. You won't be spoon fed the answers essentially.
    My work ethic in hindsight was extremely poor. That coupled with a lack of love for the maths left me frustrated. The material will be presented but your work ethic will need to be on point if you don't like maths.

Any tips on how you remembered code for the exams!! Brain is fried!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

itech wrote: »
    Any tips on how you remembered code for the exams!! Brain is fried!!

do a bit of study, tis the only way my friend! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good course, I hope they've changed their 'recruitment' approach which was to roll out the grads telling everyone how much money they make and then pushing back on any questions around difficulty.

I've graduated with a Masters in it and I have to say it's a great course.
    I was an Ordinary Maths level student and I didn't struggle with the coding, though I'll have to add it was more from possibly hitting it hard study wise from the expectation of struggling with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 MOBH

Very good course - I graduated in 2009. Employers in Ireland also think very highly of it. I also did pass maths, coding wasn't my strong point and I knew I was never going to be a coder but good to have knowledge of it and being able to discuss it in roles I have worked in since. Best of luck with it! Also, make sure to get to Boston in 3rd year for your 6 month internship!!

Advertisement