Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

eeguy wrote: »
    And getting something boxed up, brand new with a warranty;).
    Some people don't believe that items depreciate, and something that's worth 200 to you is 100 to me.
    For example, you see plenty of lads who bought a custom PC for €1000 try to sell it for €800 2 years later, not realising the cost of those parts, new, may only be €700.

Just like this yoke was. Really the only extra thing you'd be getting for your 100 was the smarmy grin on the sales guy's face as he tries to sell you a USB cable or a memory card for 2-3x what it should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

lawred2 wrote: »
    And that's never happened to me on adverts either.

Well isnt that just wonderful, but you are in a small minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Well isnt that just wonderful, but you are in a small minority

Not me. So long as you're not a chancer you'll do grand.

I have no problem calling someone out if their price is ridiculous, but I'm also not someone who'll haggle over a fiver.

You do see some eejits offering €18 for something costing €20 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

eeguy wrote: »
    Not me. So long as you're not a chancer you'll do grand.

I have no problem calling someone out if their price is ridiculous, but I'm also not someone who'll haggle over a fiver.

You do see some eejits offering €18 for something costing €20 :rolleyes:

Seller sells item at price he sees fit....You calling "him out' means nothing other than you clog up space, nobody is going to change their mind because you think the price is rediculous :rolleyes:

Seller sells item at price he sees fit....You calling "him out' means nothing other than you clog up space, nobody is going to change their mind because you think the price is rediculous :rolleyes:

Fair enough if he doesn't change his mind. I'm happy knowing that other viewers are aware of their options.

If they wish to purchase, knowing there's a cheaper alternative (even if it's not as convenient) then all power to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Some will, for example, theres gougers selling nes minis on adverts for 180 (rrp 60) because stock was low over Christmas but the last couple of days they have been coming back into stock in smyths and although I don't do it it warms my heart when people comment to let people bidding know this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Some will, for example, theres gougers selling nes minis on adverts for 180 (rrp 60) because stock was low over Christmas but the last couple of days they have been coming back into stock in smyths and although I don't do it it warms my heart when people comment to let people bidding know this

I asked a guy why he is selling it 2nd hand for over double the price of Smyths brand new.

He called me a stupid c*** and had me blacklisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I disagree. You need to know the market value of your item. If its X brand new, you simply cant expect to sell the same item second hand at a higher price.

I do believe you are taking it the wrong way. I know what you are saying but not talking about market price.

Say this for example, I buy a power bank for 20 euro. Use it for 6 months then try to sell it on adverts for say 10 euro. But then someone comments "ah sure you can get power banks for 1.50 in dealz now" (which you can) but that's spoiling. Like talking about a total different brand of power bank etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I asked a guy why he is selling it 2nd hand for over double the price of Smyths brand new....

Why bother. its not your job to warn people to shop around. People are allowed to make a profit on items these days.

It hasn't been a community site with rules against that for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I put an ad for a perfectly good Laptop bag in the FREE section today and someone requests it.

However, I notice they have no feedback at all so I don't accept but reply to them saying that, Are they genuinely interested in collecting it and they respond that they are and assure me that they can collect it tomorrow and that they have just joined adverts.ie. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I then accept their request asking them to PM me their contact details.

They PM me then saying, can they have my number and address and that they'll have their Dad collect it when he wakes up?? I just send them my number.

An hour or so later, a rough speaking man calls me wanting to know when he can collect tomorrow and what my address is. I just give him my Estate address and not my number but he can ring me when he's in my estate for the house number.

Another hour after the call, I get a PM on adverts from them saying that they have to cancel the offer but Thanks.
    Weird thing was that I couldn't reply to them via PM, I even tried posting a comment on their other adverts but I couldn't. Then I tried leaving them justified negative feedback but I couldn't either. They had Blocked me!!

I'm assuming from their Adverts user name they were a woman and 25 years old as there was 1991 in their user name. Like seriously, some people need to grow up!

Also, it's amazing that they were informed enough to block me first to avoid me leaving justified negative feedback, their account was less than a week old. I'm guessing they weren't as new to adverts as they were letting on!

Or was this some sort of scam?

Either way, the laptop case went to next in line (with 10 + Feedback) who said he'll collect Tuesday but he did send on his number......We shall see!

I think it's wise to be very careful with your address on adverts. Personally I won't deal with anyone with little or no feedback, and not long registered.

In your story the buyer might have been wary of you too.

Remember that it's easy to search all your ads and comments. And built up a profile of you. So unless it's a piano or something, your better meeting in a busy public space. Never giving your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Yeah lads, unless it's furniture you're selling, pick a landmark close to your home and meet there. The last thing you want is some scumbag demanding a refund and knowing where you live.

Yeah lads, unless it's furniture you're selling, pick a landmark close to your home and meet there. The last thing you want is some scumbag demanding a refund and knowing where you live.

It was a free item and I'm a top seller with 100% Feedback by 150 people.

But yes, not going to give my address out anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

The beauty of Adverts is being able to tell the greedy, sob story, low-balling scum to go fcuk themselves.

It's the little things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My rule for selling on adverts is half off the retail price, even for items a few months old.....still get the low ballers, it can be frustrating but the genuine buyers don't be too far behind.

Other rule for me are if I am buying something I go to them, cant stand selling a item and someone says offer 50 less and you deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

We use it to get rid of a lot of stuff we don't want (Free) and it works well for that.

I do get amazed at the sheer tat that people will go to the bother of requesting and collecting though.

I picture them glued to the screen hitting F5 all day.

...I picture them glued to the screen hitting F5 all day.

Its the same in a lot of places. Some people have made a job out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

That's a livleyhood for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One of the last items we put up was such a personal piece of tat (won't say what it was) that we actually had a small bet with each other that somebody would/would not actually go to the effort of collecting it.

Requested within 3 minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

My rule for selling on adverts is half off the retail price, even for items a few months old.....still get the low ballers, it can be frustrating but the genuine buyers don't be too far behind.

Other rule for me are if I am buying something I go to them, cant stand selling a item and someone says offer 50 less and you deliver.
    it works, because if you watch for instance a tablet for instance, i was looking a bush one, seller said it was only a month old, new price was 160, wanted 100, sold for around 40, why the hell dealing with nutters for two weeks then sell it for less than half the asking, i do have stuff up but i rarely budge on my price, i use the price i would have to give for one as the price i ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

We use it to get rid of a lot of stuff we don't want (Free) and it works well for that.

I do get amazed at the sheer tat that people will go to the bother of requesting and collecting though.

Jesus some of the crap people throw in the free section.

I've seen just from quick memory:

Waste timbers which looked like a hurricane had taken a shed asunder being given away as "fire wood", the kind of wood with nails sticking out of it that wouldn't burn long enough to heat a mouse.

Rubble from someone who'd had a building knocked down, being given away as useful for mixing with cement.

A pair of children's shoes that looked to be no less than a few years old, barely held together.

All in all my browsing through the free section is often met with people trying to shift old rubbish.

Mind you I got a pretty nice cream leather 3 seater off it one time so it's swings and roundabouts.

There's a one down in Cork that is giving away Free....drum roll......a plastic disposable razor holder!!

Dia1988 wrote: »
    There's a one down in Cork that is giving away Free....drum roll......a plastic disposable razor holder!!

I'll take it!!

Are you ever in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭johnny_tractor

97 micra for sale. 400 dollars

will fly thru the nct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're all just jealous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Gold still available op?

Oh my days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Link please???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

kyote00 wrote: »

It ain't free. And that's quiet handy.

Swap for 3 straws. Only used once.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair now that's not what it sounded like when you described it. I had pictured the little plastic holder Gillette razors come packaged. Those can be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Ah to be fair now that's not what it sounded like when you described it. I had pictured the little plastic holder Gillette razors come packaged. Those can be useful.

I don't think that is the one the other poster was talking about, as that one is not in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Someone really needs this item fast. Can collect in the next hour

http://www.adverts.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jesus who ever gave Dubliners access to the internet should be beat with a blunt instrument.
    There idiots as buyers and sellers. Proved twice to me in the last 24hrs on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Jesus who ever gave Dubliners access to the internet should be beat with a blunt instrument.
    There idiots as buyers and sellers. Proved twice to me in the last 24hrs on adverts.

I'd expand that to the general public. There are idiots down around your area too.:pac:

Wheety wrote: »
    Someone really needs this item fast. Can collect in the next hour

http://www.adverts.ie/
    REQUESTED
    I can collect in the next hour
    Thank you very much can I collect in the next hour ? If that suits you
    I'm at the house the toilet wont fit sorry about that ill have to leave it im really sorry

What the hell?

Link please???

It was a month or so ago when I saw it and I can't find it now, but I know the Adverts.ie user as they have loads of free ****e currently including a sink plug, 3 A4 transparent pockets and an envelope?? I'd say she does it to get positive feedback but seriously she's got enough positivity now at 1600 plus positive ratings. Imagine if her account was suspended or deleted by accident.

http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/sink-bathtub-plug-fits-all/10541329

Above is the link for the Free used sink plug

The razor holder that she had was part of the original packaging it came in, not like that posted earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I have a few of these, bought from Aliexpress for $0.80 each

Adverts seller is even using the same photos :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So what, though, to be fair? No-one is getting ripped off. Factory makes sticker for 30c, sells to wholesale for $1, wholesaler sells for $2 and person/retailer/cowboy sells in Ireland for €5-7. Everyone's happy and gets a good deal, no-one loses.

A "rip off" would be if you could buy it in the local shop for far less. Most people have zero interest in buying directly from China.

Then he is a 'reseller' and should have a shop account ?

Like all the sellers selling the android boxes should.

So what, though, to be fair? No-one is getting ripped off. Factory makes sticker for 30c, sells to wholesale for $1, wholesaler sells for $2 and person/retailer/cowboy sells in Ireland for €5-7. Everyone's happy and gets a good deal, no-one loses.

A "rip off" would be if you could buy it in the local shop for far less. Most people have zero interest in buying directly from China.

I agree with you.

Typical Irish begrudgery from some posters. They won't buy from someone in case they might be making a few euro.

eamonnq wrote: »

Well there is no requirement to be be registered as shop on adverts. I suppose you're more alluding to avoiding the tax man rather than being a seller/shop on adverts which is a fair point. (though I'm sure revenue would allow a few dinosaur stickers to slip by :) )

As a legitimate seller (in the sense of being kosher with my income) I looked into being a shop on adverts, but the fees they charge are quite expensive, especially on higher priced goods.

Easier to just sell as a normal seller for the €2/3 they charge per sale above €50/60 or whatever. This would be true for a lot of sellers who are essentially a business/shop. I know at one point I looked into it they wanted a fee per sale, then a percentage of the sale price. So if I sold a PC for say, €1,500, they would get €100+.

It's a balancing thing. Being a shop generally = more business but costs a lot more per sale.

Should be paying tax as well, wouldn't begrudge the chap though he's just trying to bust a living.

It's the counterfit goods I've a real issue with and there's nothing being done about it, every phone repair shop around the country is full of fake otterboxes, here's an example on adverts http://www.adverts.ie/12220808

Well there is no requirement to be be registered as shop on adverts. I suppose you're more alluding to avoiding the tax man rather than being a seller/shop on adverts which is a fair point. (though I'm sure revenue would allow a few dinosaur stickers to slip by :) )

As a legitimate seller (in the sense of being kosher with my income) I looked into being a shop on adverts, but the fees they charge are quite expensive, especially on higher priced goods.

Easier to just sell as a normal seller for the €2/3 they charge per sale above €50/60 or whatever. This would be true for a lot of sellers who are essentially a business/shop. I know at one point I looked into it they wanted a fee per sale, then a percentage of the sale price. So if I sold a PC for say, €1,500, they would get €100+.

It's a balancing thing. Being a shop generally = more business but costs a lot more per sale.

No, not really talking about the tax man at all, that would be whole different kettle of fish, and as you said selling a few dinosaur stickers would hardly be a major fraud. I think I am more just harking back to the (long-gone) days of when you weren't meant to be making a profit on stuff you sold on adverts, or you had to be registered as a shop if you were selling stuff with that intention.

from their T&Cs: You are considered a Shop if you are representing a sole-trader, partnership, company or are selling goods in order to make a profit.

Shops are welcome to advertise on Adverts.ie but must first contact us through our registration form here. Any commercial sellers not officially registered with a Shop account will be temporarily removed until resolved.

We reserve the right to refuse or end Shop subscriptions at any time.

Shops must adhere to the Consumer Protection Act 2007, the Sale of Good Acts 1980 and all other relevant legislations.

• Advertisement

No, not really talking about the tax man at all, that would be whole different kettle of fish, and as you said selling a few dinosaur stickers would hardly be a major fraud. I think I am more just harking back to the (long-gone) days of when you weren't meant to be making a profit on stuff you sold on adverts, or you had to be registered as a shop if you were selling stuff with that intention.

from their T&Cs: You are considered a Shop if you are representing a sole-trader, partnership, company or are selling goods in order to make a profit.

Shops are welcome to advertise on Adverts.ie but must first contact us through our registration form here. Any commercial sellers not officially registered with a Shop account will be temporarily removed until resolved.

We reserve the right to refuse or end Shop subscriptions at any time.

Shops must adhere to the Consumer Protection Act 2007, the Sale of Good Acts 1980 and all other relevant legislations.

Very difficult to prove that you are selling for profit.

What's to say that you accidentally ordered 10 dinosaur stickers instead of the 1 you just wanted. You'll just have to sell 9 of them. Oh dear!!

I think those are fairly outdated terms though, adverts has long moved from a community sales site (and I bought and sold an enormous amount of stuff on the for sale section of boards back in the day, it was a fantastic resource) to a driven commercial venture. If they forced all commercial sellers to commit to the shop format, they'd lose a massive amount of revenue and drive people towards the like of donedeal and they know that.

I've often suggested that certain forums should have a community sales section that functions very similar to the airsoft sales forum, in that it's a buy and sell forum based on non-profit and community spirit, but this would eat into adverts income so would be a no-go I would imagine. It's only potential legal issues that keep the airsoft sales forum where it is.

I wouldn't worry about DoneDeal the feedback on adverts is one of the main reason I'd look there first.
    There's no way DoneDeal would go down that route it'd be carnage. Donedeal doesn't give 2 hoots about buyer safety.

If a seller could block a buyer once the make a stupid offer and continue to or delete their posts on the advert it would be great rather than having to make a new ad. It's not a biggie but something should stop people saying I can get it cheaper in Nigeria so your a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I use adverts all the time to buy and sell. I find it great. You'll get the odd person asking for trades, but it's hardly a big deal.

I think those are fairly outdated terms though, adverts has long moved from a community sales site (and I bought and sold an enormous amount of stuff on the for sale section of boards back in the day, it was a fantastic resource) to a driven commercial venture. If they forced all commercial sellers to commit to the shop format, they'd lose a massive amount of revenue and drive people towards the like of donedeal and they know that.

I've often suggested that certain forums should have a community sales section that functions very similar to the airsoft sales forum, in that it's a buy and sell forum based on non-profit and community spirit, but this would eat into adverts income so would be a no-go I would imagine. It's only potential legal issues that keep the airsoft sales forum where it is.

Those are their 'current terms' but like the rest of the rules of the site, they don't seem to be implemented. It is probably because they would lose a lot of sellers if they did implement them though like you said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement