Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I remember selling a Netgear modem router for 10 e

As an adverts user with 150 +ve feedback the foreign guys wanted to test it. Which would be fine apart from the fact Id have to rip out my new modem and disconnect all my decices from it. They then offered 5 e as it was a risk. I said no and took the modem from them and said you can buy a new one in a shop for 45 euro without the "risk" and went inside.

Sometimes you just have to be abrupt.

Ill never forget the time I sold a steam cooker for 10 e and the guy spent 20 minutes testing it. Then 10 minutes later he phones me saying he wants to return it. I had to say Im not a shop! I should have said, Sure, once you have your receipt of purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dia1988 wrote: »
    They then offered 5 e as it was a risk. I said no and took the modem from them and said you can buy a new one in a shop for 45 euro without the "risk" and went inside.

Ill never forget the time I sold a steam cooker for 10 e and the guy spent 20 minutes testing it. Then 10 minutes later he phones me saying he wants to return it. I had to say Im not a shop! I should have said, Sure, once you have your receipt of purchase!

I once had a guy offer five euro posted for a 500GB laptop hard drive. I said no. He replies "Any more and I may as well just buy it new".

Notwithstanding that it would have cost me more than a fiver to post, the new price at the time - €40.

Sometimes you have to think these people are out to deliberately wind people up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

This week takes the biscuit, selling a chainsaw and got a comment what was I using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

This week takes the biscuit, selling a chainsaw and got a comment what was I using it for.

You let them know it makes it easier to cut up your victim's bodies before you dump them down a bog hole, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

pajo1981 wrote: »
    You let them know it makes it easier to cut up your victim's bodies before you dump them down a bog hole, right?

They'd probably want a demo to make sure you're not fibbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

ok............usually a good experience on adverts but here's the latest

I saw an ad for 2 Mexican tables for 35euro the pair.........made an arrangement with the seller (Chris) to view the items ........a bit of a drive from my house to Killester area but I think it's def worth the effort so make arrangement to view.

anyway........in the meantime also doing a search for tables on donedeal and see what I think is similar items (2 Mexican tables for 60euro or single 35euro) ring the number and turns out it's the same address......woman doesn't know her husband has put them on much cheaper on adverts.

message from adverts.ie seller saying price is now as donedeal.ie price 35euro for one or 60euro for 2 tables.

Cool........... allowing for mistake between couple

offer 30euro for one table to be told they are only available as a pair
    :)
    Adverts.ie and Donedeal.ie both still advertising single as 35euro

complete waste of time and very frustrating cos the table would fit perfectly with my other coffee/ side table

I'm just glad I saved myself the trip tho maybe I should have kept my mouth shut to the wife and I could have got the 2 tables from the hubbie for the price of the one I'm now being refused the opportunity to buy..........hmmmm

Innocent people die in times of war. You should have said nothing and took the adverts deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

carolmon wrote: »
    ok............usually a good experience on adverts but here's the latest

I saw an ad for 2 Mexican tables for 35euro the pair.........made an arrangement with the seller (Chris) to view the items ........a bit of a drive from my house to Killester area but I think it's def worth the effort so make arrangement to view.

anyway........in the meantime also doing a search for tables on donedeal and see what I think is similar items (2 Mexican tables for 60euro or single 35euro) ring the number and turns out it's the same address......woman doesn't know her husband has put them on much cheaper on adverts.

message from adverts.ie seller saying price is now as donedeal.ie price 35euro for one or 60euro for 2 tables.

Cool........... allowing for mistake between couple

offer 30euro for one table to be told they are only available as a pair
    :)
    Adverts.ie and Donedeal.ie both still advertising single as 35euro

complete waste of time and very frustrating cos the table would fit perfectly with my other coffee/ side table

I'm just glad I saved myself the trip tho maybe I should have kept my mouth shut to the wife and I could have got the 2 tables from the hubbie for the price of the one I'm now being refused the opportunity to buy..........hmmmm
    Did you report it?

Post the link to the ad here and I'll have a word. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cutting chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Sawing chains obviously :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I actually think this is a reasonable question.
    I mean you could be working for a forest harvesting company felling tress 8 hours a day 5 days a week or you could just have it to cut up a few branches into firewood that are lying around your house and it rarely gets used.

I mean you could be working for a forest harvesting company felling tress 8 hours a day 5 days a week or you could just have it to cut up a few branches into firewood that are lying around your house and it rarely gets used.

Description in ad was occasional fire wood use. Selling due to retirement. It's my uncles saw.
    It's just been a week of clowns on adverts.

Description in ad was occasional fire wood use. Selling due to retirement. It's my uncles saw.

Fair enough, they are a clown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Some guys here will call you the clown for being annoyed that he's asking questions already answered in the description this wasting your time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I would like to see Ebay /Amazon system implemented, what I want to see is just an item with detailed description +sellers feedback , don't want to be seeing any ridiculous comments really.

This makes Adverts site look cheap IMHO

Especially when they can't spell and use text speak.

And users say with 6 positives and 5 negatives should be off loaded off site. They are clearly time wasters.

And users say with 6 positives and 5 negatives should be off loaded off site. They are clearly time wasters.

Not a fear would Adverts do this. Every user is worth advertising income. And anyway, they could just set up a new account in under 2 minutes so what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

They would just re reg. One trade guy used to have multiple id's on adverts, still has as far as I know, but makes out he is a private seller.
    Biggest
    messer's and chancer's you could meet
    yet he is still there.

Has one ad up there now for a small tender for 450. First comment he receives is:

"Same boat was 200 couple of days back"

His reply:

": you should have bought it then ya ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I just remembered another one.
    I put a mountain bike up for €120.

First offer I got was for the full €120.
    Then some bright spark piped up with an offer for €100!!!!!
    Seriously like!!!
    Did they think I was going to refuse the other offer of €120 and accept €100 off them.
    What goes through some people's heads at times I'll never know!!:pac:

• Advertisement

Goats for sale.

Seriously.

http://www.adverts.ie/goats/goats/12379682

Where else would you get this? quality stuff.

(don't troll the ad please, I'll nuke you) :D

Someone selling goats in the goats section am I missing something normal ad.

No, just thought it would be of interest. Lots of goat enthusiasts on after hours these days.

You got to be kidding.

You got to be kidding.

Baaaah...

One word: Townies!

Prolly gonna get told off by the AH mods for this but,

It's the funniest thing ever - and it's a goat.

Steve wrote: »
    Prolly gonna get told off by the AH mods for this but,

It's the funniest thing ever - and it's a goat.

That goat had something for sale on adverts and had accepted an offer from that guy.
    Then when he called to collect, he started moaning about everything and said he'd only pay half what he offered.
    Proper order from the goat there!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

That goat has traveller hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Boater123 wrote: »
    They would just re reg. One trade guy used to have multiple id's on adverts, still has as far as I know, but makes out he is a private seller.
    Biggest
    messer's and chancer's you could meet
    yet he is still there.

Has one ad up there now for a small tender for 450. First comment he receives is:

"Same boat was 200 couple of days back"

His reply:

": you should have bought it then ya
    ."

In fairness thats a brilliant reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Exchange I had today, asking price was 375.

17121689_669193883263679_630002649_o.jpg?oh=328a5b4fc866278e9360b00b81a2aeb9&oe=58BDF997

You might want to redact their username!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You might want to redact their username!

Good call Batman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

I thought I was the only one thinking that adverts is a joke. Timewasters 24/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I hate that the messages in the app are upside down. Different to every other application. Even different than the actual website. Such a silly UX decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sheepy01 wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one thinking that adverts is a joke. Timewasters 24/7

That maybe your opinion but it's a very sweeping generalisation. I've had very few timewasters, but perhaps my years of experience trading on eBay and similar sites have taught me something.

I am using a new strategy on Adverts, if I get a comment or offer from a user I works out their percentage feedback based on positives and negatives and if it's below 90% I tells that user to stop commenting on my add as their feedback is a shambles.
    It gets a few wound up but who wants to be dealing with a user with 11 negative backs and 16 positives.

Have a ad up for a phone, ad states I have 2 phone so don't need it.....get the brilliant iphone 5 plus cash my way.......yeh no sorry I'm not spending money to lose money :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Have a ad up for a phone, ad states I have 2 phone so don't need it.....get the brilliant iphone 5 plus cash my way.......yeh no sorry I'm not spending money to lose money :D

Apparently I can't brain today and that made no sense :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Scummy feckers on adverts no selling ps4s for €230 sealed they have just bought them in Argos for €250 with a game and pad for free, it goes both ways on the site you have idiots trying to low ball or just screw you over then there are the fleabay type fleabags ripping people off and posting ****e like I know the nes is in smyths for €70 so don't post it on my ad where I am selling it for €100.

Still some bargains to be found on there but the hassle can be too much sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Donedeal is as bad. Anytime I list an ad I get a text from a girl saying she is interested. No option to reply to text and email address is provided. I have no doubt she lives on an oil rig somewhere in the north seas but is willing to offer above asking for an item she has never seen.

Selling my Mountain bike on there at the moment and had a lady offer me some bags of firewood plus cash for it.
    First thought was she was taking the piss but turns out she was deadly serious and had a lot of wood left over after a 'soft winter.
    No harm in asking I guess. Surely there's someone out there somewhere with a mountain bike to flog that's just itching for firewood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Kamili wrote: »
    Apparently I can't brain today and that made no sense :P

Guy is selling one phone because he has two.

Gets an offer to swap the phone he is selling for an Iphone5 (but he has to give the person money as well as the phone he is trying to sell to get the Iphone5).

So he can then still end up with 2 phones, but with less cash than he currently has. Standard adverts operating procedure.

Scummy feckers on adverts no selling ps4s for €230 sealed they have just bought them in Argos for €250 with a game and pad for free, it goes both ways on the site you have idiots trying to low ball or just screw you over then there are the fleabay type fleabags ripping people off and posting ****e like I know the nes is in smyths for €70 so don't post it on my ad where I am selling it for €100.

Still some bargains to be found on there but the hassle can be too much sometimes.

I assume they are keeping the game and pad yeh?

I assume they are keeping the game and pad yeh?

No, they'll swap em for your 1.9tdi!!:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    No, they'll swap em for your 1.9tdi!!:pac:

Ah no I like my Passat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Was this you? :D:);)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Was this you? :D:);)

No youtube in work what am I missing!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

No youtube in work what am I missing!!!!!! :D

Ah! just a bit of craic, watch it when you get a chance.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Ah! just a bit of craic, watch it when you get a chance.

Do you want to buy a pic of an iphone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

herself is trying to sell a buggy.
    4 women arranged to meet her to view it - all 4 cancelled on the day.

wasters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement