Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I’ve private messaged prior to all my purchases over the years

not to lowball but to get a few more pics via WhatsApp etc, more information and bargain for free postage

all my purchases were for a few hundred ( phones etc)

I reckon the person who doesn’t DM is lacking, yes of course you’ll always get idiots and time wasters

I’ve only ever purchased from anyone on Adverts.ie etc without checking all comments etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

You can’t private message without pm and generally this €1 for pm is a time waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Most of my buyers have made a €1 offer for private message where we can discuss privately what price point they are at and I prefer that to ruining my listing with €400 offered for a €1200 item because that sets the pace for the next offer which will be €420 lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ye that's the problem with the adverts public offer system. Your example is extreme but still. Say you have something up for 500 and say youre aiming for 450 or even a little less. Someone offers 400 and it goes back and forth and it ends up at 440 or 450 all good. Next the twit pulls out cos he also wants free shipping or changed their mind or something and now your listing is ruined cos the the next guy will want it for 400 for sure.

What really bugs me are the guys who come in 'what's your best price?' You can't win there. If you say 'what the listing says' you wont sell, if you give your best price you just ruined your listing.

Having said that I'd still prefer it over donedeal and in the long run I always managed to sell my stuff. But you might have to be patient. Quick sale only works if you're seriously underselling the item

never reveal best price on a public forum such as adverts, always take it to message and ask for their best offer otherwise you are negotiating with yourself, whatever price you suggest they will always shave another bit off, ive over 400 sales of decent value items and its quite easy to sort the messers from the serious buyers on the messaging side of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The last couple of sales Ive done on Adverts have been via post and payment in advance by Revlout which has been a lot handier for me than waiting for someone to call to your house and some of the messing that can go on with people being late when you want to get the dinner on.

I think Im going to push buyers into sales by post from now on if the item isnt heavy and can be posted for 5 or 6 quid. The feedback system lets them know Im not a scammer and I'll follow through and the last two buyers were fine with it. Really wish Donedeal had a feedback system, you dont know what you are dealing with on that platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Sadly imho you can no longer trust the Adverts feedback system due to Adverts support doing absolutely nothing to stop scammers using multiple accounts positive repping each other and blocking those who might leave negative feedback to expose them. Support do nothing even when it is clear they are using multiple accounts and sham bidding on each others ads.

Saying this as someone with 100% positive feedback in the hundreds myself over a decade using Adverts and its all been honestly done but recently I encountered an individual with 500+ positive rep, 0 negative and they were sham bidding on their other account profiles to bump up their sales prices (which is actually criminal fraud), using multiple accounts to coerce me into selling my ads to them at massively knock down prices, blocking me when I didn't agree to literally give them my others ads for free or at knockdown prices in PM. So now I cannot give negative rep to warn other users of their scamming.

Basically this person is now stalking my ads throwing out offers from random accounts and I cannot know who is legit and who is not anymore as they all have positive rep. Reported all of the accounts (that I know of) to Adverts Support including a general report to them and absolutely nothing has been done almost 2 weeks later. They are still running wild on Adverts stalking me and defrauding others. At this stage I'm considering taking legal action and even going to the Gardai.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

@Blinked_Missed It send me a PM with the names of the account(s) and I can take a look for you - no promises though. Please don't go to the Gardai with this, they won't be able to help you

Thanks Spocker. Very much appreciated. Can't seem to PM you though. Just keep getting a notice 'Permissions problem. This user's profile is private'. Am I being a moron? Pretty likely tbh. Cheers.

Oops, fixed that now, you should be able to PM me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Well said

v dissatisfied with Adverts.ie to let this crap continue

know of a chap local to me that has several accounts on advert’s and DD

now in fairness to him his stuff is legit and it’s more of a stay away from me taxman reason he’s got several accounts

but goes to show you how easily criminal elements and scammers are doing the same

Bought an art print on Adverts recently by a known artist (I had a alert set up for his name). Since then the seller has listed three more of the exact same pieces, now Im thinking they are either fake or stolen. In half a mind to contact the artist and let them know as something doesnt seem right.

Over on Donedeal your ads expire after 30 days. There is a 'Re-Publish' button there but it doesnt work. Emailed DD support who said they have now disabled it so now if you want to republish an ad you have to upload all the photos and type the description out all over again which is a bit frustrating

For done deal the relisting is easier if you have the same listing on adverts and just copy and paste the description

yeah I generally do. But its just a pain that DD are now not letting you just click to re-publish. I know theyre a business and can do as they like but they are just making it deliberately harder to sell things on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Selling prints as a semi pro photographer. i wish i had a shop. some amount of tyre kickers on adverts. went from making a few sales to people watching forever on prints im selling for cheap. 15 euro watch for months, offered a tenner. same print in Ikea non Irish content would be 40 plus. Head wrecking, i may give up on it.

You'd be better off just setting a non negotiable fixed price to exclude the tyre kickers. I think with any kind of artwork set prices are the way to go as you'll always have cheap charlies trying to devalue your work and get it for next to nothing. 15 euro sounds very cheap as it is. If the prints are Irish landscapes can you link to what is for sale, Im currently in the market for a few.

Was selling an item myself this week priced at 120, it cost me 230 brand new and was lightly used so I wanted close to the 120 asking price, it was a fairly set price. First guy offers me 50 quid, that set a floor so the second guy offered 60 quid. Thought the two of them were time wasters but just politely told them both that the item cost 230 brand new and is in great condition so I wanted close to the asking price.

It ended up in the 60 quid guy offering 100 and then the 50 quid guy topping that and offering 110. He has good feedback so hopefuly he follows through at the weekend. But it just goes to show you that people are always trying to get a bargain even though they are willing to pay close to the asking price. Even at 110 he is getting a good deal but he was trying to get a much better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

thanks for the advice. its a very frustrating experience. its so annoying that the same prints would defo sell with a stall or shop. But not online.

Yeah sure i can pm you a link if you want.

if you want to sell prints at a fixed price then set up a shop on adverts with a buy it now price on them, list loads and forget about them until you get a sale , forget about watchers too because watchers dont normally turn into buyers unless it is an expensive item and they are saving up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Bump using phone credit still not working despite them acknowledging it months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

What is the deal with sellers who list an item only to be never seen again? As in "listed: 2 months ago", "last online: 2 months ago". I have spotted a couple of these in the last while. I don't know why they even bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I find adverts great for getting rid of my crap in the free listings.

I had an old broken petrol lawnmower - no use to me.

I put it up for free, accepted the first taker. He pm'd me for the address and I told him it will be in the front garden.

An hour later I look out the window to see a big hairy arm with a thumbs up sticking out the window of a van driving away

It's just awful the pay by mobile option for bumping ads is still broken. Really missing a trick here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My experience if selling on adverts.

For sale.

IPhone. Brand new. (Wife dodnt like it, its brand new but just want to get shut of the bitter memories) €200

Dickhead: ill offer you 40 euro. Can you meet me in Bantry?

Me: no. Its a new iPhone, and no, I'm in athlone

Dickhead: OK. Not interested

Shit head: €1 offered PM sent.

Shithead: ill give ye 150. Is it the latest Samsung, do ye have receipt?

Me: its an iPhone

Wanker: €200 offered

Me: accepted

Wanker: when's good to meet?

Me: I can post for 20 or you can collect.

Wanker: I can meet in Tullamore

Me: OK, it's inly half hour away. See you at 1 on Sunday

Wanker: perfect.

Me ends up in tullamore, like a bollix, no sign of wanker.

Phone now smashed

Just wanted to update my above comment (post #1059) on Adverts staff not responding to repeated reports of scammers and ad stalkers on their platform using multiple accounts, sham bidding to boost their offer prices to innocent prospective buyers etc. Spocker was very kind in sending on the details I gave him in PM to the Adverts crew. I noticed 2 of the 3 accounts used by the scammer had later disappeared so it seemed the Adverts staff had finally done something, finally upholding their own rules and protecting their userbase from fraud. Sounds good right. Wrong.

Both of those accounts are now back operating along with the primary scammers account which was at all times to my knowledge left unsanctioned. Absolutely nothing has been done. Adverts are fully aware their own rules have been breached and criminal fraud attempted by this person but are allowing it all to continue. No consequences to the scammer, only the scammed. The scammed who also generate revenue for their platform.

My take, backed by the evidence is this. Adverts and their parent company Distilled do not give a damn about not only their userbase getting scammed on their site or fraud taking place in general. How can anyone believe different after issues like this. If they did they would have banned the scammers. Basically the law is an irrelevance to them as is the protection of their users. They are knowingly allowing individuals such as the person I reported repeatedly to operate their criminal fraud on the Adverts platform and every time a scammer they permit to remain on the platform places an advert, every time it is viewed (Adverts run ads on their site) Adverts and Distilled profit from it.

Months go by and still not fixed. Pity as it could be a nice earner for the site due to the likes of myself who has excess phone credit building up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭djdunny

does anyone know if Adverts allows a drop shipping style sale? in theory the seller never actually owns or has the product in their possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

There's someone on adverts selling pirated films on usb sticks. The next Alan Sugar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I can sell you links..😁

Anyway adverts.ie works and worked for me for years.

Just my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I see ads have taken over adverts same as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

adverts is gone to the dogs...don't know if it's to do with professional sellers or what but it's money now for fking everything...a euro just to bump my ad...no thanks

You get one euro credit every 30 days for your ad which allows you a basic bump

Ah OK. I used to get an email every month telling when I had a free bump but don't seem to be getting them anymore and if I try and bump now it says it's €1. I haven't bumped these ads in months as far as I can remember (which isn't very far...). I've one ad says entered/renewed 3 months ago and two ads 6 months ago but my account balance is zero?

It’s a good way to clear out the items listed by inactive users

• Advertisement

Yes I think it was a decent move on their part. It helps when you've an item less than a tenner or so

I've no idea, I just do it when I get the email

Yeh I've seen that crap as well with all winks and whatever in the feedback as though all these accounts somehow know each other or whatever and they're all 100% A1 seller etc etc.

Have also seen what I thought were sellers selling robbed stuff as they'd have multiples of various items maybe different brands or whatever and the items would typically be stuff easily lifted in a burglary. Like who has 10 different secondhand gents watches for sale and maybe 6 ladies watches along with lots more stuff that generally people would not have those quantities of.

Maybe a watch dealer might have several watches 😉

• Advertisement

There's also someone selling fake designer gift bags (presumably to compliment fake designer gear) and they're getting away with it...

Indeed but the seller would also be selling multiple laptops, clothes, playstations and multiples of many other items that anyone would never have, basically many multiples of easliy lifted contents of a house. Check their feedback and they'd be like the above that seem to know a whole load of other 'sellers' and 'buyers' and all accounts giving each other account feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was watching an ad recently and another user made an offer on it, the user was only a few days registered and their location was "Unknown" How can you register with a location of unknown? The drop-down list for editing locations does not have that option.

If you were genuine why would you not want to list your location?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I actually sold something on adverts the last day, first time in a year or so. Granted it was a fiver, but it was an ad that was upfor ages i thought was long dead. Is there hope??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

One never knows as maybe someone just saw your advert and theirs broke and wanted a replacement , still got stuff there 2 years or more as it works and want it to go to a repurpose user.

I have had many sales from users in unknown areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Adverts is brilliant, anything from herself old panties to used Lidl tools there is nothing that I haven’t sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Not even my final form

Only thing I hate about adverts is the guys who put a **** star wars opening crawl of rules about who can buy and that their account has to be a certain age and they have to be under a certain amount of negative feedback (sometimes **** none) and you can only collect from the satanic temple outside lidl on the second Thursday of a secret month which shall only be revealed once a blood sacrifice is made, otherwise tenner tracked postage. Was looking for a bass ages ago and saw a squier jazz for a decent price but he had all that shite in his description and it totally turned me off giving him any **** money, ****

My favourite ad now is the guy selling this vox standard 24. Even though its been sold twice now apparently. Its also been unlisted like 8 times. No trades no offers will not post buy now pl0x kbyethnx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

The amount of fake jerseys being peddled as genuine is a joke

• Advertisement
Advertisement