Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance necessary for provisional license?

• 29-03-2016 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is necessary to get insurance if I get a provisional license. I am aware that to do the driving lessons, I will be insured under the ADI's insurance, but in the time between getting a provisional license and a full license, do I need insurance or can I just not drive while I have the provisional, and get insurance when I get the full license after six months has passed.

I'm aware that the provisional license is so that you can get experience for the full license, but I am pretty sure I could pass the driving test right now, as I have had experience driving and am already a competent driver.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

No, you cannot drive on public roads without insurance regardless of whether you are on a provisional with accompanied driver or a full license. What many learners do is get their partners, spouse, parents etc.. to add them as a named driver on their policy which is miles cheaper than getting your own insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If you're just going to do all your lessons with an ADI, and you're going to use their car for the test, then there's no need for you to own or be named on any insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

Flaccus wrote: »
    No, you cannot drive on public roads without insurance regardless of whether you are on a provisional with accompanied driver or a full license. What many learners do is get their partners, spouse, parents etc.. to add them as a named driver on their policy which is miles cheaper than getting your own insurance.

Hi, I am aware of this, but I was asking if I am able to NOT drive at all while I have the provisional, and then get insurance when I get my full license? Like just get the provisional, don't drive, don't get insurance, wait six months, and then get the full license and insurance.

Hi, I am aware of this, but I was asking if I am able to NOT drive at all while I have the provisional, and then get insurance when I get my full license? Like just get the provisional, don't drive, don't get insurance, wait six months, and then get the full license and insurance.

Depending on when you got your provisional license, you might have to complete your EDT lessons before you can take the driving test.

If you're just going to do all your lessons with an ADI, and you're going to use their car for the test, then there's no need for you to own or be named on any insurance policy.

Thank you. But if do this and wait six months, can I then apply for a full license, or do I need to have been driving with insurance during my provisional period to apply for the full license?

• Advertisement

Thank you. But if do this and wait six months, can I then apply for a full license, or do I need to have been driving with insurance during my provisional period to apply for the full license?

You can apply, no need to have had insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

if do this and wait six months, can I then apply for a full license

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

No you don't need to been driving with your own insurance prior to doing your test

Depending on when you got your provisional license, you might have to complete your EDT lessons before you can take the driving test.

Ok, I don't think I'm getting my point across here. I am planning on completing the EDT lessons, and getting a provisional license. I just want to know if I can just wait the 6 months, without getting insurance, and then apply for a full license, which will allow me to not have to pay for provisional insurance.

I am wondering if this is possible, or does the government require insurance to be bought for a provisional license if that person wants to apply for a full license, as proof of driving experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There is no requirement for you to have held insurance to apply for a license or take your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭contrary_devil

No you do not need to have been driving with insurance to apply for a full licence.
    You can do all the required lessons in your instructors vehicle then apply for your test, do your test in your instructors vehicle and if you pass then go get your full licence all without ever having insurance in your own name or being a named driver.
    The important thing to remember is that you shouldn't drive unless you are covered by insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Ok, I don't think I'm getting my point across here. I am planning on completing the EDT lessons, and getting a provisional license. I just want to know if I can just wait the 6 months, without getting insurance, and then apply for a full license, which will allow me to not have to pay for provisional insurance.

I am wondering if this is possible, or does the government require insurance to be bought for a provisional license if that person wants to apply for a full license, as proof of driving experience.

Yes, if you do the lessons in the instructor car, you don't need your own insurance. It's not proof of driving experience, the lessons are. You only need insurance to drive your own car or you can be put on a family members insurance. You should know that "provisional" insurance and "full" insurance won't actually be that different in price, insurance is based on age, location, driving experience and a myriad of other factors. And without a no claims bonus or driving experience, it'll be expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭whizbang

No you don't need to been driving with your own insurance prior to doing your test
    does the government require insurance to be bought for a provisional license
    NO

You dont need insurance if you are not driving.
    You dont need insurance if you are using a ADI car for the test.

you dont need

whizbang wrote: »
    NO

You dont need insurance if you are not driving.
    You dont need insurance if you are using a ADI car for the test.

you dont need

You're still not getting my question, but it's fine, it was answered above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

there is no link between your Provisional License and Insurance. You can hold one without the other .
    You must be insured to drive whatever car you might want to drive whilst holding a Provisional, whther under your policy or covered on someone else's

Advertisement