Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding front-end/back-end of web application

Options
  • 30-03-2016 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I need a bit of guidance/advice. I have decided to build a web application but I’m having difficulty putting all the components together.

I’ve made basic websites in the past but have forgotten a lot of it. I studied JavaScript and Java in the past but I’m a little rusty so if you decide to reply please treat me like a person that’s new to all of this.

Basically I am having difficulty understanding the backend and front end of the whole web application and what exactly I will need. I’ve done some research found out that I will need MySQL, Tomcat server or Apache? (I don’t understand this part), Spring Tool Suite, knowledge of Java and AngularJS for the front-end. I have basic SQL knowledge. I’m having difficulty binding all this together.

The application I am trying to create is a prototype so not a full application. I’d like to be able to enter data into text boxes which is then visually represented on graphs/charts. I understand that AngularJS is capable of achieving this. Is AngularJS the same as JavaScript? Where does Java come in all of this? I thought a web programming language is needed so why is Java used? Is Java used for the backend? What will MySQL be used for and the Tomcat or Apache server also? I prefer to stick to JavaScript/Angular and Java if possible because I haven’t learned any other languages like PHP or C.

I am working on a Mac if anyone is wondering. I have the following already installed on my machine:

- Latest JDK
    - Spring Tool Suite
    - MySQL

Could anyone please clarify this for me as best as possible? I don’t think it will take a lot for me to understand it all as I do have knowledge in computing but I’m a bit rusty since it’s been a while since I last used it all.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

scuderia wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I need a bit of guidance/advice. I have decided to build a web application but I’m having difficulty putting all the components together.

I’ve made basic websites in the past but have forgotten a lot of it. I studied JavaScript and Java in the past but I’m a little rusty so if you decide to reply please treat me like a person that’s new to all of this.

Basically I am having difficulty understanding the backend and front end of the whole web application and what exactly I will need. I’ve done some research found out that I will need MySQL, Tomcat server or Apache? (I don’t understand this part), Spring Tool Suite, knowledge of Java and AngularJS for the front-end. I have basic SQL knowledge. I’m having difficulty binding all this together.

The application I am trying to create is a prototype so not a full application. I’d like to be able to enter data into text boxes which is then visually represented on graphs/charts. I understand that AngularJS is capable of achieving this. Is AngularJS the same as JavaScript? Where does Java come in all of this? I thought a web programming language is needed so why is Java used? Is Java used for the backend? What will MySQL be used for and the Tomcat or Apache server also? I prefer to stick to JavaScript/Angular and Java if possible because I haven’t learned any other languages like PHP or C.

I am working on a Mac if anyone is wondering. I have the following already installed on my machine:

- Latest JDK
    - Spring Tool Suite
    - MySQL

Could anyone please clarify this for me as best as possible? I don’t think it will take a lot for me to understand it all as I do have knowledge in computing but I’m a bit rusty since it’s been a while since I last used it all.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Backend = server, Frontend = client. There are many server side languages you could use, and there are plenty of frontend frameworks you can use. Angular is a client side javascript framework. You can write your server side code using Java(Apache Tomcat is a web server and it or something similar is needed to deploy your server-side code), or you can write your server-side code using a more modern javascript framework. How about looking into the MEAN stack (http://mean.io/#!/).

You're only making a prototype and you're just looking to enter data on the screen and have it displayed on a chart? Do you need to persist the data that you're entering? How structured is the data if you need to persist it? You seem to have just found a load of frameworks and decided you need them all without really understanding what it is you're trying to achieve. Try to simplify your problem as much as possible and then find out what you need to use to solve each part of your problem.

Would you be more comfortable with Javascript or Java or equally adept at both? Without knowing a whole lot about your skills or goals it seems like you could put this together quite quickly entirely in Javascript. Here's a tutorial on putting together a single page app using MEAN stack. You'll have the backend up and running in no time and can focus on getting your frontend working as you want for your prototype https://scotch.io/tutorials/setting-up-a-mean-stack-single-page-application

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If all you need is a mockup you could just throw some data into some Victory components

http://victory.formidable.com/

Advertisement