Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Law

Options
  • 30-03-2016 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭

I've read the laws regarding CCTV recording and still no clearer.
    Can someone confirm if I install a CCTV camera outside my home only to monitor my front door area then does it need to be installed by a licenced installer and have all other rigaramarole?
    It won't be covering a public area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

As long as it's not covering someone else's private property then it's ok as far as i know.

You do need to get electrical work to be signed off by a qualified electrician, but that only applies to mains electrical wiring etc, not low voltage camera's or plug in stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

^^^^ what they said + see

https://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=m&fn=/documents/guidance/cctv.htm
    Cameras placed so as to record external areas should be positioned in such a way as to prevent or minimise recording of passers-by or of another person's private property

Domestic use of CCTV systems.

The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

fritzelly wrote: »
    I've read the laws regarding CCTV recording and still no clearer.
    Can someone confirm if I install a CCTV camera outside my home only to monitor my front door area then does it need to be installed by a licenced installer and have all other rigaramarole?
    It won't be covering a public area

Correct. If you employ an installer who hasn't a PSA licence, both you and the installer are breaking the law and liable to prosecution.

There's no problem having a camera looking at a public area, in fact, most systems we install will cover public areas to some degree. Also, data protection regarding CCTV only covers commercial installations and not domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I thought public areas were not supposed to be covered. I actually masked public areas from recording but it's good to know public area recording is acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

regedit wrote: »
    I thought public areas were not supposed to be covered. I actually masked public areas from recording but it's good to know public area recording is acceptable

I've been in a similar issue with my neighbour(s).
    Complained about the CCTV covering the front side of the house.

Later, when their car was stolen, he came to me asking me for footage.
    Another one, asked me if I can show the footage about the car been scratched by kids.

To both I said is a private installation and it "does not cover" their area.
    I showed them the coverage, they identified the culprits but I made it clear I don't want to end up in Court or private matters that does not relate to myself.

So, where is the law and the common sense, the balance !?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

rolion wrote: »
    I've been in a similar issue with my neighbour(s).
    A Complained about the CCTV covering the front side of the house.

B Later, when their car was stolen, he came to me asking me for footage.
    Another one, asked me if I can show the footage about the car been scratched by kids.

To both I said is a private installation and it "does not cover" their area.
    I showed them the coverage, they identified the culprits but I made it clear I don't want to end up in Court or private matters that does not relate to myself.

So, where is the law and the common sense, the balance !?

Asfaik the issue of Data Protection eg A is different to the issue of B evidence ie video footage in a criminal or civil case

Advertisement