Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the county councilors in Sligo to take issues to??

Options
  • 30-03-2016 8:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm out of touch with politics and elections etc.

I know there was a pole recently though.

Who has been elected in the sligo region, and where is their office based?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

This should help:

http://www.sligococo.ie/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Thanks.

So, 'splain to me how that works...

They're the country councilors.

So - as a result of the election that was held recently, I mean, are they all in a position to make changes?

Like I said, when it comes to politics, I'm extremely out of touch, so if it sounds like I'm taking the piss..... I'm not.

I'm in the Sligo town area.
    Is there any one of them that would be more suitable to contact that another?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm the immigrant wife of an Irish man who would rather not bother the county councillors, but I am used to contacting my Congresspeople, and he doesn't mind if I contact the councillors myself. I would also like to know how this works in practice. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The last council elections were in 2014.

Sligo Co. Co. has 18 councillors, split into two wards:

Ballymote/Tobercurry = 8
    Sligo town district = 10

http://www.sligococo.ie/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/

The council offices are based on Riverside.

Note that these councillors may also have full-time jobs, so don't expect them to be in the Co. Co. HQ every day.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm the immigrant wife of an Irish man who would rather not bother the county councillors, but I am used to contacting my Congresspeople, and he doesn't mind if I contact the councillors myself. I would also like to know how this works in practice. Thanks :)

There are 18 councillors in county Sligo.

There are 4 TDs representing the Sligo / Leitrim constituency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sligo%E2%80%93Leitrim_(D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

County councillors mostly deal with local issues, planning and decision making.

But, as a constituent, will/should also make representation on your behalf with any issues or problems that you have.

All of the county councillors should have 'Clinics" where you are able to meet with them to discuss any issues, concerns, problems that you may have.

Housing, welfare, medical assistance, etc.

The recent election was to elect representative to Government.

County council elections are different.

All county councillors should act on your behalf if your request is reasonable and feasible.

PS: Contact a few of them, and see who acts best and quickest on your behalf. It is my understanding that they have a responsibility to act on your behalf of the issues you have are relevant as a constituent.

Write to them with your concerns. And you can also go to Citizens Advice for free information and support.

Speedwell wrote: »

PM sent Speedwell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

Kettleson wrote: »
    County councillors mostly deal with local issues, planning and decision making.

But, as a constituent, will/should also make representation on your behalf with any issues or problems that you have.

All of the county councillors should have 'Clinics" where you are able to meet with them to discuss any issues, concerns, problems that you may have.

Housing, welfare, medical assistance, etc.

The recent election was to elect representative to Government.

County council elections are different.

All county councillors should act on your behalf if your request is reasonable and feasible.

Do you know who was elected as a government representative in that case?

Four TDs elected from Sligo-Leitrim to the Dail, after 15 counts:

Marc MacSharry FF

Martin Kenny SF

Tony McLoughlin FG

Eamon Scanlon FF

• Advertisement
Advertisement