Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland wants to charge us previous tenants bill. Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I had a problem a bit like this when I bought my house. The previous owner had died and left behind an unpaid bill which they wanted paid. I was being sent disconnection threats in the post.
    To cut a long story short I sent a registered letter to the provider, threatening to report them to the regulator. It worked.

Don't threaten to report them. Report them!

CER should be made aware of these kinds of issues.

It's a bullying tactic to minimise exposure to a bad debt. They don't care who pays it, but they're attempting to frighten *someone* into doing so.

Imagine if you'd just arrived in say Germany, France or the US and the first thing you get is a threatening letter or call demanding payment of an outstanding utility bill?

Many people might just pay up.

How many of these bills end up being "accidentally" collected by Direct Debit clearing out someone's current account?

This kind of thing could leave a family with no food on the table one month.

Also they try to fling these things at landlords too often a month after deposits have been returned as that's when it comes to light.

Walking off on a utility bill is mean and unfair but it's even worse for the utility to attempt to just randomly collect it from someone else.

Bear in mind that most utilities either take DD details or a pretty serious deposit. They don't leave themselves very exposed and should be able to track someone down.

You do not have any contractual obligation or relationship with the utility company other than from the point you moved in.

My advice is ALWAYS inspect the meters yourself when you move in and photograph them for gas, electricity and any other metered service and contact the utility companies yourself to setup services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The Electric Ireland reps have asked me to post that you can send them a PM and they'll be happy to try help you out OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Dav wrote: »
    The Electric Ireland reps have asked me to post that you can send them a PM and they'll be happy to try help you out OP.

Thanks but the rep on the phone did "resolve" the issue after I refused to contact the LL and tell him that he has a 300€ bill to pay. I explained that I was not a debt collector and that I only wish to pay for our usage and from the time of our move in. The rep tried to get my LL on the phone while I was put on hold. My wife and I were looking at each other while I was put on hold with a what-the-heck-is-this kind of face because we couldn't believe it was happening. We were shocked. Anyway, the guy came back and said that the only thing he can do is to remove us from the system. This will mean that there is no registered person since August 2015 and he warned that they will now be sending a letter to our home address asking for the entire outstanding amount and will be sending a notice that services will be cut unless payment is made. So I don't know how this sounds to other people but this is the resolution we accepted as it was the only one they were able to propose and meant us not being liable for the amount prior to us moving in. We now have to tell the LL to pay the bill before we can take over the account as EI will not let us do so without adding that debt to our account.

Don't know if I should still PM them. I just am glad this thread is here for other people who may have the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pm them.

What they've done is outrageous.

My guess is that a CSR gets a bonus if they can get the last tenants bill settled, and so they've got creative with the policies to try to achieve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

armabelle wrote: »
    Thanks but the rep on the phone did "resolve" the issue after I refused to contact the LL and tell him that he has a 300€ bill to pay. I explained that I was not a debt collector and that I only wish to pay for our usage and from the time of our move in. The rep tried to get my LL on the phone while I was put on hold. My wife and I were looking at each other while I was put on hold with a what-the-heck-is-this kind of face because we couldn't believe it was happening. We were shocked. Anyway, the guy came back and said that the only thing he can do is to remove us from the system. This will mean that there is no registered person since August 2015 and he warned that they will now be sending a letter to our home address asking for the entire outstanding amount and will be sending a notice that services will be cut unless payment is made. So I don't know how this sounds to other people but this is the resolution we accepted as it was the only one they were able to propose and meant us not being liable for the amount prior to us moving in. We now have to tell the LL to pay the bill before we can take over the account as EI will not let us do so without adding that debt to our account.

Don't know if I should still PM them. I just am glad this thread is here for other people who may have the same issue

I'd be careful with getting yourself unregistered. As much as it is not right for them to charge you for the consumption before you moved in, it also is not right for you to use the service without paying for it and could possible be against the terms of your lease (many specify you need to be registered with utility providers and pay the bills). I know they haven't been very helpful, but if they are now offering further assistance it is in your interest to take it (and raise a formal complait aout their previous behaviour if you wish).

Also, do get in touch with your landlord to understand where he stands about this. If he's saying it is not his problem you still want to be registered with EI and pay for your usage, so that all is clear on your end and no-one (EI or LL) can call you a bad payer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the property is unregistered off the system- there could be a reconnection fee due- even if the electricity is not physically turned off........

It is up to the landlord to sort this issue- and they need to be made fully aware of the issue- it is not your prerogative to tell EI to disconnect the power- and indeed- if you do- you could find yourself with an even bigger bill than that for the o/s electricity bill........

Ring the landlord straight off- and make sure they are fully aware of the situation- it is theirs to resolve- not yours.

Lodge a formal complaint with CER asap.

I'd also suggest ringing your local TDs and maybe Joe Duffy while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

12Phase wrote: »
    Lodge a formal complaint with CER asap.

I'd also suggest ringing your local TDs and maybe Joe Duffy while you're at it.

I'd maybe mention the CER but unless it passes the company in questions complaints proceedures process in full, the CER generally won't intervene.

In my experience the best way to sort this is to send them on a copy of lease that confirms when you moved in, Anything before that point will be liable to the previous tennant or landlord (basically whoever's name is on the a/c).

Did you take a meter reading when you moved in to the property? I'd recommend that to all new tennants in any case. EI can only bill you on the 300/305's the receive from ESB networks (unless you provide a reading) so are effectively you are being billed for the balance of the MPRN not your account.

I would probably lodge a complaint either way.

As an aside, is the 300e bill a tenancy deposit they are looking for by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

This is bizarre. The utilities suppliers enter into a contract with someone who lives at a stated address and supplies to that person through that address.
    They do not enter into a contract with the address itself and whoever lived there and whatever they did before you moved has nothing to do with you. If the person who moved on owes them money then that person owes them money, it has nothing to do with what address they were at when they clocked up the bill. If that person who owed them money moved into another house would they wipe the slate clean and supply them at the new house without issue? I doubt it.

Electric Ireland either are not training their staff (should you need training?) to understand this basic concept, or are purposely encouraging misinformation to get bad debts paid for by someone who had nothing to do with it. Either way this is negligence, fraud and extortion (refusing to supply until you pay someone else's bill). Knowingly taking advantage of someone like that is disgusting.

OP, forget coming to a compromise, and forget some boards.ie rep offering to talk to you. That's too little too late. You don't owe them money, tell them to connect you immediately, document everything they say and have said to you and the names at the company of who you were talking to and report them. Lodge a complaint and bring them to answer. Otherwise they'll continue to do this to the next person and the next.

We had it with a different energy supplier years ago. Took 3 months of no heat to get it sorted and it was a huge bill.

Seems to be a common misconception that the bill is against the asddress and not the person and an assumption that the new tenant is lying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think its deliberate policy to get LL and tenants to chase up bad debts.

They get away with it because the regulation is so weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

We had it with a different energy supplier years ago. Took 3 months of no heat to get it sorted and it was a huge bill.

Seems to be a common misconception that the bill is against the asddress and not the person and an assumption that the new tenant is lying too.

I am sure that Electric Ireland have enough legal knowledge on their books to understand full well that the person moving in has no obligation to pay. They are either not passing this knowledge down to their employees or purposely trying to extort people to settle their bad debts.

Either way they need to be called up on this.
    Dav wrote: »

I would not give them the chance to sweep this under the rug. This kind of stuff needs to be confronted and exposed. Sounds a bit dramatic I know but how many people have they ripped off doing this?

Of course they do. Their aim is to get the bill paid. You'll have to point out it's not your problem.

Of course they do. Their aim is to get the bill paid. You'll have to point out it's not your problem.

They did, from the first post.
    armabelle wrote: »
    W...When we called EI they told us that if the LL does not pay the bill then the new tenants become liable for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

I am sure that Electric Ireland have enough legal knowledge on their books to understand full well that the person moving in has no obligation to pay. They are either not passing this knowledge down to their employees or purposely trying to extort people to settle their bad debts.

Either way they need to be called up on this.

I would not give them the chance to sweep this under the rug. This kind of stuff needs to be confronted and exposed. Sounds a bit dramatic I know but how many people have they ripped off doing this?

What they told me on the phone is that we should not have been allowed to "take over" without the debt being paid. The agent should inform you of this before the take over and make it clear to you that if you want to "take over" then you will be liable for the debt. This is how their system works apparently

If you're not aware of "taking over" the debt and you never agreed to do that, then you didn't agree go anything and there's nothing they can argue about.

They don't have to argue they control the account and supply.

If they cut it off they may find they're in breech of contract.

Contracts work both ways and European law now takes a very dim view of powerful utilities and other entities abusing their position.

• Advertisement

The problem is no one takes action against them. They just talk about it.

The issue is not them them cutting you off. It's not getting supply anywhere else if you move. Or a tenant leaving an outstanding bill.

Quite lucky in this case it's the LL bill thats outstanding as that's much simpler.

Advertisement