Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Redcastle - best route

Options
  • 30-03-2016 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

hi all, looking for some advise on the best route from Dublin to Redcastle.

i will be going to a wedding there tomorrow.

What route would be people advise taking. Options are:

1. M1 to belfast, then M2 and A6
    2. M1 to Ardee, then onto Monaghan or Omagh
    3. M1 and then the A27 after Newry, then A6

different people are recommending different routes so i would like advise from someone with experience of the route.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

garhjw wrote: »
    hi all, looking for some advise on the best route from Dublin to Redcastle.

i will be going to a wedding there tomorrow.

What route would be people advise taking. Options are:

1. M1 to belfast, then M2 and A6
    2. M1 to Ardee, then onto Monaghan or Omagh
    3. M1 and then the A27 after Newry, then A6

different people are recommending different routes so i would like advise from someone with experience of the route.

thanks in advance

I regularly travel to NW Donegal, and always go M1 to past Drogheda, across to Ardee, and straight up through Monaghan, Omagh, Strabane, Letterkenny - and then you'd head off for Inishowen.

Long drive!

I haven't used the other routes you mention, to be fair - but I'm guessing they would be longer. The roads in the north are the worst bit of the route I use (well, bar those north of Letterkenny!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I concur with the above. M1 then over through Ardee.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭muttley-dps

As per other 2 replies but go from Strabane to Derry direct, no need for Letterkenny - you're putting miles on yourself.
    Hop skip and a jump north from Derry then to redcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As per other 2 replies but go from Strabane to Derry direct, no need for Letterkenny - you're putting miles on yourself.
    Hop skip and a jump north from Derry then to redcastle.
    +1 on that.

Thats the way I would go anyhow and having looked at a map there a few minutes ago it would seem to be the best route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think like others have said the best route is via Monaghan and Omagh.

I have myself tried another route which was staying on the M1 all the way up to Newry, then going up the A28 through Armagh and up to Aughnacloy and up to Omagh that way, the timing was almost identicle although the milaege is probably more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I know this is past it's usefulness but for future reference it depends on what part of Dublin you're coming from as far as using the M1 is concerned.
    I'm in Nth West Dublin and don't bother with it, go by Ashbourne and onto Ardee through Slane. If you are using the M1 I'd only use it as far as Ardee then head for Monaghan. Pretty much everywhere is bypassed after Ardee anyway and the roads, while not Motorway, are pretty good most of the way.

Advertisement